PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant rights in France

Comments

• Irrespective of the legalities it will be very unconfortable living with someone who doesnt want you there. Is the LL worried you aren't contributing to electric, food etc or you are messy.

If everything was agreed beforehand something has changed, were you told a couple of days and now it is longer ?

It doesnt seem right tbh based on what you have said.

Perhaps look for a room locally to be near your friend
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh for goodness sake! Use some common sense, and civility.

I have no idea what the law is regarding this in France, but if you're a guest in someone's house you respect their wishes. The house owner/landlord, who lives there, wants you to leave. So leave.

By staying, at best you will destroy the relationship between the landlord and your friend. At worst your friend will end up being kicked out. If not now, then whenever the French law allows.

If you want to stay on holiday, find a local B&B. If not, come home.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake! Use some common sense, and civility.

I have no idea what the law is regarding this in France, but if you're a guest in someone's house you respect their wishes. The house owner/landlord, who lives there, wants you to leave. So leave.

By staying, at best you will destroy the relationship between the landlord and your friend. At worst your friend will end up being kicked out. If not now, then whenever the French law allows.

If you want to stay on holiday, find a local B&B. If not, come home.

I believe the apt term is....

Grow up.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    OP wants a free lunch, in this case free accommodation, while not paying bills and other taxes etc which the others do.

OP how long have you been staying?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The law in France adheres to what is written in the 'règlement de colocation' that your friend would have signed up to. It is highly likely that it says something about visitors not staying for more than X nights. This will hold in court.
  • Bearded_2
    Bearded_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    LL agreed after a chat, that this was all agreed upon and fine. Thank you to anyone with legit adult answers.
    As for the rest, you sound like angry LL's at best. At worst typical internet fodder. What op "wanted" was what was agreed upon before arrangements were made. You indeed were not "reading this right" and the term "grow up" was well chosen, but better set to proper use self administered as you flapped on in your typically weak ad hom in your near total contextual/content ignorance bar what was necessary to answer the legality of the issue.
    OP got everything he wanted and quite a bit more. Merci lads and lasses.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Bearded wrote: »
    LL agreed after a chat, that this was all agreed upon and fine. Thank you to anyone with legit adult answers. - That's great!
    As for the rest, you sound like angry LL's at best. - can you cite an example? At worst typical internet fodder. - feel free to pay for professional advice in the future. What op "wanted" was what was agreed upon before arrangements were made. - aren't you the OP? You indeed were not "reading this right" and the term "grow up" was well chosen, but better set to proper use self administered as you flapped on in your typically weak ad hom in your near total contextual/content ignorance bar what was necessary to answer the legality of the issue. - this is a UK forum, I suspect most people were simply being practical - IE why would you want to live in a situation where the LL is upset?
    OP got everything he wanted and quite a bit more. Merci lads and lasses.

Excellent, glad to hear it! (I mean it's all make believe anyway, so let's say the OP won euromillions and is now buying the LL out)
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bearded wrote: »
    LL agreed after a chat, that this was all agreed upon and fine. Thank you to anyone with legit adult answers.
    As for the rest, you sound like angry LL's at best. At worst typical internet fodder. What op "wanted" was what was agreed upon before arrangements were made. You indeed were not "reading this right" and the term "grow up" was well chosen, but better set to proper use self administered as you flapped on in your typically weak ad hom in your near total contextual/content ignorance bar what was necessary to answer the legality of the issue.
    Oh dear.
    Sometimes the answers on forums aren't what you wanted to hear . . .

The thread title is misleading:
    'Tenant rights in France' You're not a tenant, or even a lodger, and I imagine the LL can ask you to leave at any time.
  • Bearded_2
    Bearded_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    "can you cite an example?"
    I did in the answer, but once again for you sweetheart
    "I believe the apt term is....

Grow up."
    Ad hom

"OP wants a free lunch"
    Ad hom, sounds very angry LL at best with almost zero contextual and a bare minimum content understanding.

There's others, you can find them if you understand the difference between on topic and ad hom. And yes, very typical internet fodder sounding. You just have to look at the past posts of some of these accounts to know they are trying to make up for deficiencies, the source of which comes from elsewhere. It becomes angry, often from a position of ignorance, very fast.

"aren't you the OP?"
    Yes! Excellent observation. You see the quotation marks over 'wanted'? I'm referring to a users post about the 'op'.

" IE why would you want to live in a situation where the LL is upset?"
    These details I even left in my posts, so on this one you can only claim ignorance from failing to read/absorb the information present before you comment. All of this was agreed upon before I came to stay, and after a short chat a day afterwards, the LL, in a different mood, agreed to see it through after their whimsy.
    Which was why I was checking the law as a bottom line in case it was needed, which it eventually was not.

"Sometimes the answers on forums aren't what you wanted to hear . ."
    I'm fine with reading them (are you hearing voices?). I will however respond. It's actually quite enjoyable to me. Are responses to their answers not what you wanted to read?

"The thread title is misleading:
    'Tenant rights in France' You're not a tenant, or even a lodger, and I imagine the LL can ask you to leave at any time."

I was enquiring about a tenants rights, on the topic of non sub-let visitors. It could not be more on topic if it tried.
    If I had a child and was enquiring about their personal rights and responsibilities at school, would you claim the title was misleading?
    If I had a friend and was enquiring about their employment rights in their particular situation, would you claim I was misleading?
    You would be wrong on both accounts, as you are in your own example, as the information I am looking for is exactly as it is presented in the topic header.
    Again, your post is another example of off topic ad hom typical internet fodder nonsense.

And in terms of the LL having the right to ask me to leave at any time, you imagined wrong.
  • And in terms of the LL having the right to ask me to leave at any time, you imagined wrong.
    If that's the case, why have you asked the question in the first place? Why not explain to us what rights you have?

Do have have some kind of written contract? Is it not a case of his house, his rules?
    He may have originally agreed, but something has happened to change his mind, maybe he doesn't appreciate your attitude, for example. Perhaps he's realised the arrangement wont work. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure