Change career at 28?

Comments

• cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    But ..I am really sorry to keep saying this ..if your job does not suite you ? then you must take responsibility for finding one that does ? You can discuss this until the cows come home about the way the company who now employs you could meet your requirements but lets be honest ? You are one in a lot of employees and perhaps , most are quite happy with their job ?
    you have produced a list regarding the problems you have with your existing employer?
    Take that list and use it for potential other employers you apply to, who may offer you a job?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    28? You're a baby! Yes, go out and grab your dream by the... sensitive bits. You are young enough to train for virtually anything.

What would you REALLY like to do? Could you bear to stay where you are and qualify through part time study for something else?
    More to the point, could you bear to stay where you are for the next 40 years ...
    Example.2 you think spending 2 hours in a Health and safety meeting about how to walk down a flight of stairs safely is ridiculous. You are told you are the problem
    To be fair, I doubt if 'just' walking down a flight of stairs safely was all that was covered, and while it might seem blindingly obvious to YOU how to do so, trips slips and falls are the commonest causes of accidents.

I did a day's H&S and did not consider it a waste of time. Some of the accidents which had happened on stairs were not pleasant. I'm often moving stuff at work which is a trip hazard, because I know the damage which can be done from a 'simple' trip - 8 weeks off work followed by 1 month phased return when I smashed my shoulder to smithereens tripping over our recycling box at home. I'd hate to have fallen down stairs at the same time ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    More to the point, could you bear to stay where you are for the next 40 years ...

To be fair, I doubt if 'just' walking down a flight of stairs safely was all that was covered, and while it might seem blindingly obvious to YOU how to do so, trips slips and falls are the commonest causes of accidents.

I did a day's H&S and did not consider it a waste of time. Some of the accidents which had happened on stairs were not pleasant. I'm often moving stuff at work which is a trip hazard, because I know the damage which can be done from a 'simple' trip - 8 weeks off work followed by 1 month phased return when I smashed my shoulder to smithereens tripping over our recycling box at home. I'd hate to have fallen down stairs at the same time ...

Some health and safety is common sense but in an office it is largely not needed. As I said I am trying to move but I am weary of office work in general. Imagine if you were told you are an under performer by someone who couldn't do your job, knows nothing about it and the reason why your an under performer? because you didn't "synergistically extend backward compatible core competencies"whatever that means.

It doesn't mean anything that's my point its just made up buzzwords by someone paid to come up with this nonsense the fact its then taken seriously is even more a joke
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    you have failed your objective to "synergistically extend backward compatible core competencies" and because of this you are a poor employee. .

That did make me laugh.

Oh...I feel your pain. I used to work for a company like that. Buzzword city, and it's all about 'perception' not actually doing your job.....
    I now work for a company that is owned by one person, it is refreshingly free of corporate !!!!!!!!, and a move to another department has now cheered the hell out of me.

Find another job where the culture fits you and you it.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some health and safety is common sense but in an office it is largely not needed.
    I disagree. Maybe your colleagues are more 'aware' than mine are, but being particularly sensitive to trip hazards it astonishes me how often I have to move boxes, coats or footwear from the middle of the floor where I want to walk. Or move power cables which COULD go round the outside of the room, but as the shortest route is right across the middle that's obviously superior, right?

Then there's the coats slung over the top of fire doors which should automatically close if the fire alarms go off, but won't because there's a coat in the way. And the high heels and flip-flops worn around the office - in any encounter between a filing cabinet drawer and feet in flip-flops, the filing cabinet will win. And the external chef who came in to work with our clients, who set off the smoke alarm and just carried on working while the building evacuated without either leaving the kitchen to tell staff it wasn't actually a fire, or to evacuate with the rest of us.

I could go on ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Some health and safety is common sense but in an office it is largely not needed. As I said I am trying to move but I am weary of office work in general. Imagine if you were told you are an under performer by someone who couldn't do your job, knows nothing about it and the reason why your an under performer? because you didn't "synergistically extend backward compatible core competencies"whatever that means.

It doesn't mean anything that's my point its just made up buzzwords by someone paid to come up with this nonsense the fact its then taken seriously is even more a joke

I was feeling some sympathy until this point but I can now see why you're being told that you are the problem.
  • You are still a whippersnapper. I have changed careers three times; started a new one last year at the age of 42. This whole 'grab the bull by the horns' when you are young is extremely outmoded thinking, considering that the retirement age is increasing.

When I started work, I could retire at 60; now it is 67 and will probably change again.

Even the whole concept of university study when you are young has changed. In days of yore it was free until a certain age; now you have to cough up several tens of thousands to achieve a degree. Basically the whole concept of achieving by a certain age has changed.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    yes, you can change career at 28. Think aboutwhat you would like to do - moving to an poffice based job may not be for you as it sounds as though that isn't to your taste. I'm nt sure what your current role (that you were originallhired for) is, but you could look at whather it has trasferrable skills to other jobs you might enjoy more, whether that is in design, or engineering, or watever your original role was.

Do remember that if you change careers you are likely to need retrianing and possibly some further qualifications, and will go in at the bottom again, so be prepared for that - the cost of moving to a new career may be that you have to take a pay cut, or invest some time / money in obtaibing new qualifications. (obviously this will to some degree depend on what type of move you make, and what job you want)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP you got 2 usernames on the thread, you forgotten the password for the first 1 you created ?
  • dcouponzzzz
    dcouponzzzz Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:43PM
    I think the air of superiority you're displaying by referring to other people's degrees as 'Mickey Mouse' degrees and reducing management to only the interactions they have with you or that you see, definitely marks you as a problem.

Also, you obviously don't know how to communicate well and have an underdeveloped ability to influence people. If you can tell me the flow of an interaction with someone who you know opposes your idea before you approach them, to be able to change their mind, I would be very surprised.

On top of these you may even have a lack of respect for people whose knowledge and intelligence doesn't match yours, without consideration for the fact that they have more useful life skills than you do, which is why they're your boss. This instantly puts you at a disadvantage because disrespect is never the solution to any problem.

Consider the fact that these personality traits or missing life skills will transfer to wherever you choose to work in future, and decide whether you should improve yourself, or work for yourself.

ps. I agree, those goals are corporate BS, but it is your responsibility to seek out an explanation when it is first assigned.

pps. 28 myself, spent 5 years learning what I needed to have the influence to change things that aren't progressive, but putting up with the BS in the meantime. Now in a position to make changes and regularly do. I dropped out of Uni so have even less knowledge than Mickey Mouse in your book, but chose to take vocational qualifications instead.
    Started 07/15. Car finance £6951 , Mortgage: 261k - Savings: £0! Home improvements are expensive
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure