Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Comments

• JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    pledgeX wrote: »
    I got this today for £74.95 via this deal:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-g300-ascend-smartphone-102-95-72-95-with-credit-acct-down-possible-67-01-1283781
    Will get a further £6 off if it tracks ok via TCB. Cracking deal!

Didn't notice the ISME deal was still going well spotted
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • pledgeX
    pledgeX Posts: 527 Forumite
    Thanks for the help sillygoose.
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Vodaphone UK actually released an official ICS upgrade but then promptly withdrew it claiming it was a mistake and not ready. Now they are dragging their feet and blaming the manufacturer. So you could wait and see, it was promised and would upgrade simply via the phone.
    This would be the only way I'd be happy upgrading the phone. I'm only updating, not tweaking, so would be happy to update it via the method you mentioned where you simply drop the loadable onto an SD card. I'd just be concerned about getting the loadable from a reputable source and what happens if it all goes wrong.

Also, if I unlock the phone, would I be able to update via the phone as I'd no longer be tied to Vodaphone? Or does it not work like that? (I'm not sure where on the phone's menu I'd even need to look :o)
  • Somerset
    Somerset Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anyone else having the following problems :
    - Calls terminating themselves after a minute or so.
    - Message on screen saying no network coverage, 999 calls only.
    - Same 'no coverage' for internet.

I did a quick google after it happened a few times and other's have reported the same issue, though I haven't found a fix reported. Plus it seems to happen on multiple networks so it isn't specific to one. The phone just randomly loses network connection (as said it seems to be a thing with the phone not network). In my case, plus other's, switching off then on restores connection. But I really need to get a fix as I'm missing calls's.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2012 at 1:12PM
    pledgeX wrote: »
    Thanks for the help sillygoose.

This would be the only way I'd be happy upgrading the phone. I'm only updating, not tweaking, so would be happy to update it via the method you mentioned where you simply drop the loadable onto an SD card. I'd just be concerned about getting the loadable from a reputable source and what happens if it all goes wrong.

Also, if I unlock the phone, would I be able to update via the phone as I'd no longer be tied to Vodaphone? Or does it not work like that? (I'm not sure where on the phone's menu I'd even need to look :o)

If you aren't confident don't diy by downloading from elsewhere and installing yourself. If you go wrong you could end up with a paperweight!

Though unlocking has no consequences apart from if you get a wrong code and keep trying it!
  • Quentin wrote: »
    If you aren't confident don't diy by downloading from elsewhere and installing yourself. If you go wrong you could end up with a paperworght!

Though unlocking has no consequences apart from if you get a wrong code and keep trying it!

This is true - I turned mine into a paperweight on first day! - but its not as unrecoverable as people think, doing the full boot up update from an SD card will recover almost any situation. (Thank God!)

Unlocking itself shouldn't stop you getting the official upgrade when it ever comes, but if your phone isn't hooked up with a Vodaphone SIM still I wonder when/if you get it pushed to you?
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 September 2012 at 1:27PM
    I've got the 936 release which was stated official on the Huawei site then pulled.Installed via sd card no problem.

Unlocking doesn't stop you getting OTA updates.

Any sim will still give OTA Updates I was using a giffgaff sim and updated from 885 to 892
  • thebull
    thebull Posts: 180 Forumite
    I rang tescos superstore at ingleby brwick (Stockton on tees ) yesterday and they had 3 Huawei G300 handsets @£60 each
    Got one put behind the desk and been down to pick it up today .
    Paid £60 its on vodaphone and there are NO special deals on today .
  • Bunny82
    Bunny82 Posts: 205 Forumite
    I ordered one from isme on the offer and apparently someone (not us) signed for it (even though there wasn't a signature) and I have been ping ponged between them and the courier company without either of them taking responsibility for more than two weeks now.

My phone is being delivered tomorrow...allegedly. Still, steer well clear of isme and Yodel if you ask me.

Oh, and Tesco have apparently discontinued the phone now. All £60 stock is end of line.
    Dry January: 31/31 days. :T
  • Went with the Very deal in the end and with topcashback it looks as if hopefully the final cost will be £67 (delivered). Of course since they use Yodel, delivery will be the next hurdle to overcome!
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Went with the Very deal in the end and with topcashback it looks as if hopefully the final cost will be £67 (delivered). Of course since they use Yodel, delivery will be the next hurdle to overcome!

Considering Very sent mine in its box with just a plastic bag around it, its a good sign of its robustness as it still survived even a Yodel delivery! - I just hope your in as it won't fit the letter box Yodel will probably try forcing it through using the Transit as a battering ram.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure