PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Negative survey

Comments

• Hoploz wrote: »
    Are you buying as well? You don't mention an upward chain. How much pressure are you under to go ahead with the sale ... this will affect whether you are more likely to take a hit to mve on, or just back out and remarket.

We are not in a chain. We are still viewing other properties and have a few favourites that we could go ahead with, also not in a chain, but we would look to move to another option we have to facilitate the sale.

I think if she is buying the freehold this is going to cause a delay.

Yes, that worries me too. She was presented as a cash buyer with a cash buyer. I can imagine that her buyer isn't going to be best pleased about that either as word from our Sales Progression person at the agents suggested that person was keen to move quickly.

When she brings the builder along I think I might go round with them initially, pointing out things like 'the cellar is so good for storage - look, all these pictures remain in great condition so there's no damp!'

I will, thanks. I did that with her and her family on both occasions when she came round and she saw for herself the nature of the stored stuff - there's so much of it that it was obvious it couldn't have just been there for a short time and as I said. some of it a bit dusty rather than damp.

You're lucky to have the heads up on the survey - at least you know what to address!

I guess. It does give us something to work with if it all goes pear shaped but tbh we wouldn't re-plaster etc. The walls and ceilings are fine and if you start with replacing the old lathe and plaster ceilings which are in some of the rooms just because they're lathe and plaster then you'd have to do the lot! If it ain't broke don't fix it. We might put a proper floor in the cellar rather than the rough floor it is and do the chimney bricks now we know about them. Maybe get it re-wired and so on but we do kinda think that many of the things mentioned you'd expect to find in a house of this age - that the wiring wouldn't be modern etc. It's perfectly functional and safe and we have just been offered a Smart Meter for example without having to change anything or causing the person who looked at the bits to run screaming from the house.. The external electrics were all recently upgraded by Northern Powergrid.
  • Most people on this forum could write a survey for a period property without even attending: it will have some form of damp, its electrics might need upgrading, the chimney needs pointing, there are cracks in the wall/ceiling plaster and cornicing and there is woodchip wallpaper in at least one room. Yawn. That'll be £500 please...

Do nothing. The ball is in the buyers' court.

Thanks. Our friend from the Council also suggested that was the case. He reminded me that the surveyor had to be seen to justify what was probably quite a large fee and that he was working on the buyer's behalf. That it's their job to point out everything that may ever potentially be an issue. Something my other half referred to as an "a** covering exercise" in a fit of pique last night.
    We've spent a fair bit of money to bring the house EPC up, to make it as nice and fresh as it could possible be inside, from new bathroom suites to roof - we knew we might not recoup the cost completely but it improved the house for us while living in it and made it a more 'buyable' proposition when ready to market. So, much of what is discussed in the survey almost seems to us to be about the 'fabric' of the house, bit like mocking an old dog for no longer having quite such a shiny soft coat and arthritis!

Anyway, there's been some very helpful comment and advice here and thanks to all for taking the time to respond. It is what it is, and the best advice I can take from the comments above is to accept that old houses will have that type of survey, that she was aware of things which would need replaced already or the condition of them e.g cellar, extension flat roof (sound but aged), bit of angle to floor in 1 room (the whole terrace has slight angle and has been like that for decades, mentioned as historic on survey 18 years ago and we told her about that and no mention of any movement or anything even remotely like that in the current survey), fractionally wonky doorways, lack of perpendiculars here and there, some creaky floorboards and steep stairs and so on. Further, we don't have to renegotiate, the price is what it is because she's seen the house twice (once with her son who works for a building company too!) and it's already incorporated an allowance for flat roof and garage door and cellar door; that she hasn't pulled out and that you could say the majority of these things about any house of that period.

You're right, the ball's in her court. Fingers crossed!

Note to self: Don't Panic!

I'll let you know how it goes.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    You need to take the emotions out of the equation; it's a business transaction.
    You have a good to sell (house); if the buyer wants a discount, they can ask but ultimately you can choose what to do.

Assuming you're in England, till you exchange both of you could pull out no reasons asked and money invested (surveys, etc) is lost. That is the business of property buying in England so you need to prepared for it too.
    EU expat working in London
  • Agree. Difficult to do but probably necessary.

Yes, we are in England and accept that there is a back out option for both parties - again, brutal but true. I need to consider this as a house not a home and simply look to market it well and extract the best deal. So far she's getting a good deal to allow us to move on to somewhere we'd rather be - just finding it trickier than I thought to encounter a potential obstacle at this stage after being so very happy to have 'sold'. But it is what it is.

Time to buckle up and not be pessimistic.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So far she's getting a good deal

If the buyer hasn't yet asked for a further discount then yes you are over-reacting! :) The bottom line is that if the buyer wants a perfect house with absolutely no problems then they really ought to be buying a new build and paying the appropriate premium for that.

You simply need to stick to your guns and, if it comes to it, remind the buyer that the survey confirms "the property is worth what she's paying for it and is worth the given market value." To be brutally frank you would be foolish to even consider discounting the price any further on what you've told us so far.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sure I've read threads where people have suggested that moisture meters can give very unreliable results. Unless there is other evidence there may be no dampness problem.
  • Thanks folks for the two new replies above.

Agreed, she hasn't asked for a reduction and has not intimated she's backing out - it may well be she simply wants a builder to quote for a couple of bits n bobs. Hold fast!

Re the moisture meter - our friend came round with the moisture meter mentioned earlier and checked the cellar etc. His meter is very sensitive and reacts to your hand; the meter showed no problems at all throughout the house and what is considered acceptable for a cellar which is not floored i.e. at the very beginning of his yellow band indicator in the outer area of the cellar. He is accustomed to working in older houses as he approves and works on adaptations for the elderly and disabled and states categorically he can find no trace of damp (we concur) and that the surveyor is merely pointing to moisture content in areas like the cellar where it is obviously slightly higher. One thing he did absolutely refute was the surveyor's suggestion that the lintel above the cellar door was saturated (it does get rained on and it was raining the day he came) as his meter did not even beep at any point on the lintel - he suggests it would have been surface water only. He suggest the surveyor has been a tad over critical of a house this age; some of the comments being purely opinion rather than empirical fact. However he too says that despite picking up all the things you'd find in a house this age the survey still says it's worth the money so she doesn't really have much room to haggle.

We have contacted the agent today following the OP which started this thread and she assures us that at this point there's no indication of backing out and the 'buyer' has not mentioned renegotiating the price. We also checked on the 'buyer's' freehold situation mentioned above and she is moving to address this asap - obviously HER buyer will be expecting this to be done asap as well as they were unaware the property was leasehold.

Short version; we appear to still be on track and I will accompany her builder round when they arrange a time.

Something worth mentioning perhaps for the benefit of others - our friend's meter is a fairly complex looking hand held job which you can place against or on a surface. He asked if the surveyor had a pronged moisture meter (looks a bit like a taser) and we said he did. He told us that he has known people take a reading against a wall with their fingers behind the meter and touching the prong thus affecting the reading, unknown to the onlooker. Interesting!
  • Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Surveyors are generally well known to be overcautious, mainly to cover their backs. I think they really have to think worst case scenario.

I can't imagine any surveyor worth their salt behaving as your friends suggests is possible with the meter, what would be the point?

Glad to hear that you have had reassurance from the EA though, and I hope your sale progresses with no further issues.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Something worth mentioning perhaps for the benefit of others - our friend's meter is a fairly complex looking hand held job which you can place against or on a surface. He asked if the surveyor had a pronged moisture meter (looks a bit like a taser) and we said he did. He told us that he has known people take a reading against a wall with their fingers behind the meter and touching the prong thus affecting the reading, unknown to the onlooker. Interesting!

Old thread I know but to add, as I found it in a search and others might.. These meters are already fraudulent. They do not measure dampness. They only measure electrical conductivity. Hence a reading on your hand. They are thus useless for actually accurately finding or diagnosing dampness.
  • The moisture content of something affects electrical conductivity though.

They do therefore give an indication of the moisture content if used correctly
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure