Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Not much to report today, I've checked when my last direct debits (and the final pending Paypal transactions) are due to debit my account and I'm making a list of the dates that all my statements are produced each month.

I haven't done any big sexy debt busting but I think that getting on top of something so simple as knowing my statement dates is a tiny step towards financial literacy. Yes, it is unpleasant and a bit nerve wracking to really think about the debt I'm in, but not keeping myself informed doesn't make it go away!

Anyway, my catalog statements are generated on the 18th of each month so I'm going to use the figures on that day to update my monthly debt totals on the 19th of each month. I get paid on the 26th of every month and I hope that a bit of debt focus the week before payday will act as a deterrent to a payday splurge!

On my to do list for this week
    • Research SIM only deals for when my contract ends in 6 weeks time
    • Make a list of renewal dates for insurance policies etc and diarise time to shop around before renewals
    • Decluttering the rest of the bedroom storage & make another pile for eBay
    • Inventory of toiletries and books for my "no more spending until I've used/read what I have" challenge
    • Take all my Tesco & Boots receipts to get the points added to my advantage cards
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Naomi, I will have a nose around the site and see if I can find the comparison tool. I've got about 6 weeks until my current contract with O2 ends so lots of time to shop around.

Most of my friends haven't had kids yet, and I do think that there is an element of wanting to live it up when this group get together (we all went through the skint uni years together and I think we've been massively overcompensating for all the times we smuggled vodka into clubs in water bottles etc!).

I'll definitely check out ALDI next week, I can put up with a bit of chaos if it will cut my food budget! Do you find that you can get your weekly shop with no hassle (substitutions etc) or do I need to be a bit flexible and go with what is in stock?

All my ebay listings have multiple watchers, no bids yet but I'm hoping they are waiting until nearer the end of the auction :)

Sounds like a good plan and knowledge is certainly key when debt busting!

I find most of what I want in Aldi. Definitely the majority. There are some bits that I have to get in the bigger stores but not much. Some things you can't tell apart from the branded stuff.

Have you ever watched Eat Well For Less? Certainly an eye opener.
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Naomim wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan and knowledge is certainly key when debt busting!

I find most of what I want in Aldi. Definitely the majority. There are some bits that I have to get in the bigger stores but not much. Some things you can't tell apart from the branded stuff.

Have you ever watched Eat Well For Less? Certainly an eye opener.

I haven't watched Eat Well For Less but I'll check it out! I watched a documentary called The Minimalists last week, that was pretty interesting and gave plenty of food for thought about how much we spend when we don't need to.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I managed my first proper NSD yesterday and on track for another one today - there is something really satisfying about checking my bank balance and seeing it the same as I remembered, not depleted by myriad Contactless transactions that I'd forgotten all about!

Usually at this point in the month I would be checking my bank balance for the first time since all my direct debits had left my account, wondering where all my money had gone and starting to count the days until payday. This time I know what to expect and I'm not feeling that panicky, nagging feeling that I will run out of money before payday and will have to get my credit card out.

I made a spreadsheet yesterday of all my debts (excluding the student loan for the time being), I filled out all the repayments on my personal loan which would take me all the way to January 2020 if I don't make any over payments. The idea of still having this debt hanging over me in 3 years time is a big deterrent when I'm thinking about spending money!
  • Naomim
    Options
    Well done! :T:j I had the opposite but less said the better :eek:

Eat Well for Less is a BBC show. It takes families that spend and extortionate amount on their food shopping and swaps their usual stuff for non- branded items. They have no idea what's been swapped and what hasn't so they are tasting "blind". There's usually a cookery lesson on there too.

I also have a spreadsheet but mine's my bank account so I can try and work out where I am at any point in the month. Although I only do 6 month forward forecast.

Glad you still seem so positive. It will soon be second nature to check you balances everyday. Hope Mr GC is still on track.

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • jenberry
    jenberry Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Hello lovely,

Really excited to join you on your journey and have subscribed to your thread. Just wanted to pop in and say 'good luck' and I hope you are able to reach a place where you are happy and peaceful with the help of counselling.

As someone who has previously been in debt and a recovering shopaholic, I would say that you need to prioritise being free of debt above things like meals out, shopping trips and magazine subscriptions, and it definitely seems you are doing this so I have no doubt you'll be successful, just keep at it! Also, for inspiration, I would recommend The Minimalists and their documentary on Netflix called Minimalism. It will definitely help put spending into perspective.

Finally, don't be too hard on yourself. You're making great progress and things happen for a reason.

Jen xxx
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't watched Eat Well For Less but I'll check it out! I watched a documentary called The Minimalists last week, that was pretty interesting and gave plenty of food for thought about how much we spend when we don't need to.
    Naomim wrote: »
    Well done! :T:j I had the opposite but less said the better :eek:

Eat Well for Less is a BBC show. It takes families that spend and extortionate amount on their food shopping and swaps their usual stuff for non- branded items. They have no idea what's been swapped and what hasn't so they are tasting "blind". There's usually a cookery lesson on there too.

I also have a spreadsheet but mine's my bank account so I can try and work out where I am at any point in the month. Although I only do 6 month forward forecast.

Glad you still seem so positive. It will soon be second nature to check you balances everyday. Hope Mr GC is still on track.

Naomi x
    jenberry wrote: »
    Hello lovely,

Really excited to join you on your journey and have subscribed to your thread. Just wanted to pop in and say 'good luck' and I hope you are able to reach a place where you are happy and peaceful with the help of counselling.

As someone who has previously been in debt and a recovering shopaholic, I would say that you need to prioritise being free of debt above things like meals out, shopping trips and magazine subscriptions, and it definitely seems you are doing this so I have no doubt you'll be successful, just keep at it! Also, for inspiration, I would recommend The Minimalists and their documentary on Netflix called Minimalism. It will definitely help put spending into perspective.

Finally, don't be too hard on yourself. You're making great progress and things happen for a reason.

Jen xxx

Eat well for less is brilliant. I love the meal ideas they give you. Some of the spends that families have is mind-blowing and will definitely make you feel better about your shopping bill.

I will check out the minimalists, thanks for the recommendations.

Well done on being all in control of you bank balance, Georgiana :T
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Random addition to your diary, but watching The Chase earlier and your namesake was one of the questions! I'd never heard if her until you started your diary and now thats twice in a week ha.

Maybe Bradley Walsh has been reading your diary for budgeting tips and inspiration for quiz show questions?
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Naomim
    Options
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    Eat well for less is brilliant. I love the meal ideas they give you. Some of the spends that families have is mind-blowing and will definitely make you feel better about your shopping bill.

I will check out the minimalists, thanks for the recommendations.

Well done on being all in control of you bank balance, Georgiana :T

Some families spend in a week more than I do in a month for a family of four! :eek: I managed one meal for four of us on less than £3 this week. Gammon joint £2.50 (aldi) bag of potatoes for homemade chips £0.29p (reduced in co-op and didn't use them all) 2 eggs for me & MrM. Ham, egg & chips for dinner. Yum!!!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Can you not move any of your credit cards to 0% using balance transfers or do you have a poor credit rating?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback