PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Maternity Leave

Comments

• Emsky*
    Emsky* Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2016 at 8:51AM
    HOWMUCH – We are the opposite way around hubby is the higher earner so I’ll be taking the full year rather than us splitting the leave. We are lucky though as he works funny shifts so we’re hoping he will still be able to see baby quite a lot. We’ve been quoted for a local childminder for £6 an hour is this average? She has said we could work it around school holidays as my mum would be off and has said she would mind baby on these days for us.

Nothing to report this weekend regarding stockpiling, but we did get a free M*M bottle & soother from B**ts as we’ve joined the parenting club & the M*M bottles are the ones we have bought for when I hopefully start expressing so hubby can feed baby as well so a nice bonus.

Hope everyone is ok J
    "Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love." Jane Austen.

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd really discourage stockpiling nappies. Some people find that certain brands don't work for their baby's body shape at all! Just tuck some money away instead or, even better, consider cloth nappying. Saves a fortune.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Check how old your freezer is? And possibly try to freegle/freecycle a younger one?
    I was substantial with grandchild #3 when mum came up to help, defrosted the freezer & punctured the pipes. It was only one small freezer, but I had it loaded with ready to go food for self, husband & toddlers & all that planning went sideways.
    (I forgave her eventually.)

I'd add vinegar & bicarbonate of soda for good old OS cleaning - and salt. You can scrub a table with salt & still eat off it without dodgy residues & anyone having a gnaw later will take less harm (& learn not to try it again faster) than after a mouthful of Dettol.

Most babyclothing washes & dries easily but a rack you can put up in the bathtub means you do not have to load the tumble drier & watch the electricity bill crank up.

All the best!
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Emsky* wrote: »
    HOWMUCH – We are the opposite way around hubby is the higher earner so I’ll be taking the full year rather than us splitting the leave. We are lucky though as he works funny shifts so we’re hoping he will still be able to see baby quite a lot. We’ve been quoted for a local childminder for £6 an hour is this average? She has said we could work it around school holidays as my mum would be off and has said she would mind baby on these days for us.

Nothing to report this weekend regarding stockpiling, but we did get a free M*M bottle & soother from B**ts as we’ve joined the parenting club & the M*M bottles are the ones we have bought for when I hopefully start expressing so hubby can feed baby as well so a nice bonus.

Hope everyone is ok J

Not sure where you live but in our part of Yorkshire they charge £3.50 average per hour, per child. And do special weekly rates for full time children. I was lucky I used my parents and DD is lucky she has us close by. Sorry I can't help you more if you post the area you are in maybe someone may be able to help.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • purpleweasel
    purpleweasel Posts: 116 Forumite
    MandM90 wrote: »
    I'd really discourage stockpiling nappies. Some people find that certain brands don't work for their baby's body shape at all! Just tuck some money away instead or, even better, consider cloth nappying. Saves a fortune.

We have arranged for a free loan of a big bag of cloth nappies from our local Nappy Advisory Service so we can see which of all the huge & confusing variety might suit us before we splash out on our own. I found them on line but they run sessions at our local Children's Centre and were very helpful. Try pre-loved sites for second-hand ones as well if you do decide to buy, not always much on there but you might get lucky
  • tatabubbly
    tatabubbly Posts: 909 Forumite
    Hey. I'll join in here as well as I'm 36 weeks now.

I've been buying stuff second hand as its the best value I've found. I didn't buy a lot of newborn stuff or first age stuff as I know that baby will probably grow out of them so fast it won't be needed.

I've managed to get some stuff like M&P changing table and bouncer second hand. Yes, some stuff you don't have to buy but it is nice to have things that may help.

The only thing I bought at full price so far has been our pram which was on offer when we bought it so even at that it hasn't been too much.

I've a stock pile list and money that me and hubby have saved up so next week we plan on going to cash and carry and buy lots of stuff!

Things like : tomato paste, honey, herbs, pasta, rice etc
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    My maternity leave starts today :D I'm taking it easy-ish this week, just sorting the house out but next week I intend on batch cooking lots and have a big shop of essentials to last us a month coming on the Tuesday.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    I am on maternity just now (took leave from Feb, healthy baby born March, passed away from meningitis april).
    You will probably have the nesting instinct and clean clean clean before baby arrives, i know i did. I would say the main help to us was the frozen meals in the freezer. It meant we ate properly with little time required. Otherwise we may have resorted to takeaways which isn't ideal when breastfeeding. I had 4 little premade formula bottles in the cupboard. I never used them but they were good to have, i knew they were there to reduce the stress in the middle of the night. When I had her I expressed and stored my own milk incase of a non-latch emergency.

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to go to any but our local area did breastfeeding groups and mum & baby meets for free which looked good. The good thing about maternity financially is that you are so caught up in your little bundle of joy you don't get a chance to spend much. Enjoy!
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2016 at 9:43PM
    P.S I would agree on not stockpiling nappies. Lots of people bought us some from all different brands. Some were great and some leaked everywhere. Also when she moved up a size we were left with packs of the wrong size.

Oh and we went through LOADS of cotton wool as the advice is not to use anything on their skin apart from cotton wool and water for the first few weeks.

You can also do up to 10 KIT (keeping in touch) days on maternity leave. This brings in a bit of extra income if you are able to co-ordinate with your husbands days off. I don't think workplaces have to allow them I'm not sure but you could check with your manager.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I'm afraid that I think the advice about cotton wool is very wasteful! I am from the cloth nappy generation. I washed all my kids' bottoms with white flannels and threw them in the nappy wash.
    Even if you are not using cloth nappies, you can do the same: bucket of napisan / mild bleach, then rinse and they can go through an ordinary wash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure