PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Simplifying household stock and introducing routines

Comments

• Planning_ahead
    Planning_ahead Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2017 at 6:13PM
    Hi e4rly thanks for the feedback will ask for some shampoo and conditioning bars as a present for mothers day xx
    :j:£12,000 / £28,000 Mortgage free date planned May 2023 Actual mortgage free date June 2030
    Retirement date planned May 2023
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Primrose wrote: »
    Totally agree. Where does all this dust come from? Human skin particles? I have only to go into our bathroom 48 hours after giving everything a thorough clean and it's as bad as ever. The fewer toiletries you use and have on display, the easier cleaning becomes.

Tell me about it! Frustrates me no end. Even my cleaning products gather dust at an alarming rate.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Primrose wrote: »
    Totally agree. Where does all this dust come from? Human skin particles? I have only to go into our bathroom 48 hours after giving everything a thorough clean and it's as bad as ever. The fewer toiletries you use and have on display, the easier cleaning becomes.
    :) This has puzzled me a fair few times, too.

My conclusion is that bathroom fluff is a mixture of human skin cells, human hair, shed fibres from towels and shed paper fibres from t.p. Obvs, for those whose WC is in a separate room, the latter won't be a contributing factor.

Totally agree with minimising clutter in bathrooms to speed clean-up time.This is one area of the home which you want to keep on top of, because it can quickly start to look pretty sordid and unpleasant.

;) And who wants to start the day looking at grunge and grime?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I like this idea.

Much choice is actually delusion. Most conserves like jams and marmalades are only flavoured sugars, shampoos are pretty much of a muchness, with perfume and colours and additives to effect viscosity etc giving you an illusion of differences. Cereals are a load of sugary carp in most cases.

By artificially restricting availability, such as having refills under lock and key until the current item is used up, you may be able to train the household to be more efficient. Good luck!

absolutely correct.
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Been meaning to read this thread properly for ages... trying to keep things a bit more simple is definitely on my agenda for the year. Since December I've been working my way through 'varieties' of ambient foods and toiletries that have accumulated in my life, and are unnecessary; when all of a type of item has run out, I've tried lots of things in quick succession and can make an informed choice about future purchases. Simple! I'm doing this with everything from pasta to shampoo to make up.

Hi e4rly thanks for the feedback will ask for some shampoo and conditioning bars as a present for mothers day xx

I used to use Lush shampoo bars but do sometimes find they left a build up on my hair which I didn't care for, I also struggled to stop them melting too quickly, but that's probably due to room temperatures. I've settled on* Pure Nuff Stuff's shampoo bars at £4 a pop, I found them in my local health food shop but they also appear to have online shopping - http://www.purenuffstuff.co.uk/Hair-Care. They're also free from SLS which, whilst not deadly, does seem to unsettle my skin with repeated use.

* When I say settled, I've probably got about another 3 months of other shampoos to use up first before I can justify buying again. Annoying, but it saves money and I will no longer have a bathroom shelf of half used bottles!
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • firebubble
    firebubble Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    A few years ago I had a huge declutter after recovering from depression. I think stockpiling was part of the anxiety which went with the illness. I started one of the 'no toiletries' challenges in January, and the first thing that ran out and I needed to buy was shampoo.... in November :eek:

I've since noticed that in relation to toiletries I like to try the new products that are out, but was also thinking that 3 for 2 etc were 'bargains', and also was trying to be economical by buying the biggest sizes. The combination of this thinking was an enormous stockpile of toiletries, a stockpile that would have been far more useful as money in the bank, rather than zillions of bottles.

It was only by not buying new that I could really see how long something lasts, and in particular, how long that last couple of inches lasts (weeks - plenty of time to buy a new one without panicking I'd run out). I could see how much I was really using over the months, and I realised that my 3for2 often meant I was buying a year's worth of something, when in a few weeks, there would be something new I wanted to try...

Now I buy the small bottle, as I know that it feels pampering and nice to have a wander round boots and choose a new shampoo or whatever, but I only buy one, and then use it up (or pour it in the handwash bottle if I don't like it). Generally, it's just come out so it's at the discounted launch price as well. I think overall this saves me money, as a stockpile is only useful if you get it at a much lower unit price than normal AND you use it up.... as I never actually used up the stockpile, this money was not used well....

I also realised that shampoo, shower gel, handwash (and in a pinch, washing up liquid) are basically all the same - just liquid detergent of different strengths. :D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    [QUOTE=firebubble;72287568. ........

I also realised that shampoo, shower gel, handwash (and in a pinch, washing up liquid) are basically all the same - just liquid detergent of different strengths. :D[/QUOTE]

Just shows how the Marketing people and all those fancy TV adverts get people hooked, doesn't it?
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    firebubble wrote: »
    I also realised that shampoo, shower gel, handwash (and in a pinch, washing up liquid) are basically all the same - just liquid detergent of different strengths. :D

Not the cheapest, but there is a soap available called Dr Bonners which openly admits it has 18 (yep, 18) purposes. It's a pretty basic formula available in a selection of fragrances (rose, aloe, green tea etc) - like most things with less ingredients these days, that means it costs more...

I think I might treat firebubble's 11 months of shampoo as a challenge! I don't think I'll get that far but I wouldn't be surprised if I get to 6 months. I've done the same in buying large bottles of the-one-I-liked-at-the-time on 3 for 2, thinking this was a money saving idea. Nope. This will sound awful at first - but I've also helped stretch out my stash by cutting down on how much I wash my hair. I used to wash it every day, which was time consuming and costly. Now I'm down to twice a week (as per the suggestion of my hairdresser I might add).

Lipsticks, glosses and tinted lipbalms are a whole separate issue - I'll be at that particular stash for years.

Cutting down on groceries was a lot easier than this, unlike the toiletries I didn't have a year's worth of anything I didn't particularly enjoy!
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Being a Marie Kondo konvert, I have to confess I shuddered when I read Tiddlywinks description of her stock. I'm sure it works for her but I'd much prefer the space and freedom to choose to keep the money in my pocket till I need to buy it. As most have said I also have one item in use at a time with 1 in stock , that gets put on the shopping list when it goes into use.
    There is only 2 of us and we are near to shops and have never had to run out and buy anything ,not even milk. I usually have a rough idea of what we will eat that week , my freezer always has fish and meat in so stock piling really isn't my thing.
    In fact the less in my cupboards the better:T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    This is a really helpful thread, thanks for all your ideas. I'm currently on a "not buying anything other than groceries, or replacements for something finished or worn out". I did have to buy some socks the other day, as my trainers were suddenly very uncomfortable, and on feeling inside, I found the liners had worn away, leaving seams of harsh stitching, and the extra socks helped protect my feet until I could get home (I had one pair on already) In the past, I would have bought some shoes immediately, but I do have sufficient even without the worn pair. Socks were the cheaper option, and I am refusing to count how many pairs I have, and now prefer bamboo ones, so am making a positive effort to rotate the whole lot until they get worn out, but will replace only with the good quality bamboo. I haven't worn tights for ages, and then only black opaque ones, which last forever, seemingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure