Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Comments

• boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Bobarella, do not doubt yourself. Appeal, but even if the rates increase, you will still make a success of your business. Just look how far you've come already. I know it's hard work but look how much momentum it's gathering! You cannot give up, you simply can't, you inspire too many people on here.:A
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Hope you have a less stressful day today Bob. Big hugs.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Morning Bob,

What a stressful time you're having at the moment, no wonder you're both snappy.

Boo to the 40 days for a response, that ridiculous.

Hope today's much calmer xx
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Bob
    I'm in awe at your resourcefulness and energy. You're bound to have wobbles when setting up a business on your own is so scary, hard and fraught with difficulties.
    At some point, and only you will know when, you'll decide whether the business is going to provide a secure income commensurate with your input. Setting it up and getting established is bound to take time but I'd be asking myself what success would look like and when realistically I'd be there. I know you don't want a car but it must have made life so difficult over the dark short days of winter getting yourself and your child/children back and forth. I can't remember when your youngest starts nursery/school but that too will make it easier.
    Also when the children are both at school it may be easier to understand whether your time/income ratio would be better as an employee or whether your business is providing a more flexible work/ life balance with a suitable income.
    I hope life will get easier over the spring and summer with more events and parties and lighter longer days.
    Best wishes
    V
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Macey1510
    Macey1510 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Hi Bob, I hope you have a good day today!
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    kirtsypoos wrote: »
    I'm most amused by the above - tickled my Monday afternoon :)

Oh Bob, I really feel for you with the rates issue - you run around constantly and can't possibly do anymore than you are doing but something like this can have such an effect on your morale and your fledgling business.

I firmly believe that you will see a massive difference between now and next year with the amount of events you are having and the publicity generated but it's whether weathering the storm now is doable for you.

Big hugs

Thanks Kirsty glad it made you smile :) Wise words as always.:)
    greent wrote: »
    Ah, Bob - hope they come out sooner rather than later - and that the result is favourable.

Rant away whenever necessary.... xx

Thanks Greent I hope so too. :)
    Sending you massive virtual hugs and lots of tea and cake, always good to let out your frustrations. I bet your dh is just as annoyed with have to appeal the measurements but you're the nearest one to rant to too!

Hope you've managed to relax a little bit, doesn't get any better my dd is a 5ft nutter shimmying around the house :D

I also hope the measuring is done as quickly as possible.

H x

Glad to hear the nuttiness doesn't end, they just get taller :rotfl:
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Oh Bob, sorry your peaceful (ish) afternoon turned into a stress.

Fingers crossed that the rates get lowered and then you can hopefully continue. I do agree though you do lots of running around xx

Thanks Mummytogirls. I do feel like I am running to standstill at the moment. It's good to get perspective from others.
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    Bobarella, do not doubt yourself. Appeal, but even if the rates increase, you will still make a success of your business. Just look how far you've come already. I know it's hard work but look how much momentum it's gathering! You cannot give up, you simply can't, you inspire too many people on here.:A

Paws your words brought a tear to my eye I have to say. Thank you. The thing about not giving up is so hard. It's my default setting to never give up. But, I am so worried that I'm wasting the best years of my life on a project I can never win. I am sorry to go against your words of encouragement. I just need to be really sure that I'm not just paying the bills for all these other companies/organisations to get rich whilst I live on less than min wage and struggle. :( I will continue to weigh it all up.
    Hope you have a less stressful day today Bob. Big hugs.

Thank you, appreciated TOP

• Bobarella
    Morning Bob,

What a stressful time you're having at the moment, no wonder you're both snappy.

Boo to the 40 days for a response, that ridiculous.

Hope today's much calmer xx

Thanks PM02 I did think of you yesterday when I was feeling miserable. As in, I reckon your recent situation must have been so much worse than just money worries. And I did give myself a mental shake and remind myself "it's only money"
    Verbatim wrote: »
    Hi Bob
    I'm in awe at your resourcefulness and energy. You're bound to have wobbles when setting up a business on your own is so scary, hard and fraught with difficulties.
    At some point, and only you will know when, you'll decide whether the business is going to provide a secure income commensurate with your input. Setting it up and getting established is bound to take time but I'd be asking myself what success would look like and when realistically I'd be there. I know you don't want a car but it must have made life so difficult over the dark short days of winter getting yourself and your child/children back and forth. I can't remember when your youngest starts nursery/school but that too will make it easier.
    Also when the children are both at school it may be easier to understand whether your time/income ratio would be better as an employee or whether your business is providing a more flexible work/ life balance with a suitable income.
    I hope life will get easier over the spring and summer with more events and parties and lighter longer days.
    Best wishes
    V

Verbatim Thanks so much. It changes all the time. If you'd asked me in December I'd have said yes, things are going really well. In January I lost a chunk of money because one of my bigger clients cancelled.
    Then things settled down and I was just seeing a balance happening between booked work and new work coming in, plus enquiries were great. Then I found out in Feb that March would be the last month for my longest standing biggest paying customer, and here I am. Although we have managed to put away all the money we have had extra this month (council tax break and joining incentive from FD) and budget well. It feels sickening to know we have this horrible month coming. Can I out earn it? And carry on doing so from then on? I don't know.
    So sorry to ramble but when do you know enoughs enough? Even if I said it right now I have a 6 month notice period at the premises. If I wanted out right now, I'd have to come up with a fat sum to give to the landlord. And then until I found other work our family budget would be short every month. And I feel like what if I gave that notice and then in the 6 months it was ongoing everything suddenly got really good?

Ah I'll stop. You get the general idea of the muddle in my head.

Youngest is 17 months so no help there for a while.
    Macey1510 wrote: »
    Hi Bob, I hope you have a good day today!

Thanks Macey.

• NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So sorry to hear about the rates rise Bob. Obviously appeal as everyone has already said. Decisions are really hard in SE, and there is no obvious answer. You just have to believe in yourself, you have amazing courage and you work so hard for your family. Sometimes it does feel like it is for nothing. You'll do whatever is right for you Bob, that I'm sure of:)
    all good wishes coming your way
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hope you can work everything out in your head Bob, must be so frustrating for you. More dodgy hugs. :grouphug:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure