IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MET Parking Services - trolls

Hi all,

As per title - I was searching the 'net for this company and found this thread. I have a story that is similar to previous posters.

I made two visits to a McDonalds 'restaurant' on the same day, over 4 hours apart. A few days later I received two parking charge notices. The two notices are identical and have the same reference number. Basically, they took the arrival time from the first visit and the departure time from the second visit.

Would people advise that it is preferable to completely ignore the notices and subsequent letters from these trolls, or should I write to their appeals dept stating what actually happened on the day?

Many thanks

Rob

Comments

• Hovite_2
    Hovite_2 Posts: 749 Forumite
    No, don't ignore even though MET haven't done court. Appeal to them and get a POPLA code so you can appeal to POPLA and cost MET £32.

Appeal to MET using the facts you've mentioned above. Bounce this thread when you get your POPLA code. While you wait read the "POPLA decisions" thread to get an idea of successful POPLA appeals.
  • bryth65 wrote: »
    Hi all,

As per title - I was searching the 'net for this company and found this thread. I have a story that is similar to previous posters.

I made two visits to a McDonalds 'restaurant' on the same day, over 4 hours apart. A few days later I received two parking charge notices. The two notices are identical and have the same reference number. Basically, they took the arrival time from the first visit and the departure time from the second visit.

Would people advise that it is preferable to completely ignore the notices and subsequent letters from these trolls, or should I write to their appeals dept stating what actually happened on the day?

Many thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

You have three choices:

1) Speak to the McDonalds Manager and tear them off a strip. Let them know that they stand to lose your custom and that of your friends and family for using these scammers. The more people that complain the better and the more likely they are to be kicked into touch.

2) Ignore an ever increasing barrage of junk mail and eventually they will stop. MET don't have a reputation of taking people to Court, so the chances are minimal.

3) Send in a soft appeal to MET just appealing the decision. They may cancel. If they don't, get the PoPLA code and come back here and check how and what to submit to increase your chances of getting a positive decision.
    Search my post " PoPLA evidence - What to submit" on what is a good defense for a PoPLA appeal.
  • Thanks for the responses.

I am tempted to write a letter to their appeals dept, stating what actually happened, but ignore any further demands for payment.

Looking at the experiences of others that have had similar dealings with this company, it seems that the stream of letters does eventually dry up and a court appearance is unlikely.

Cheers
    Rob
    Thanks for the responses.

I am tempted to write a letter to their appeals dept, stating what actually happened, but ignore any further demands for payment.

Looking at the experiences of others that have had similar dealings with this company, it seems that the stream of letters does eventually dry up and a court appearance is unlikely.

Cheers
    Rob

Rob,

It's your choice. They may choose to make an example of you, especially if their income is drying up. Others are finding out on-line that they do not have to pay for the scam and eventually these PPC will have to change their tactics (as PE have) or face going out of business. PoPLA is free to apply to and their decision is binding on the PPC only. You can write what you like to MET, but chances are that they will reject your appeal. If you used that appeal at PoPLA then you would lose. We know how to stop the scam dead.
    Search my post " PoPLA evidence - What to submit" on what is a good defense for a PoPLA appeal.
  • Custard Pie - a little confused, possibly not seeing clearly through the red mist that has descended because of this ;) I know I shouldn't get wound up, but I have.

As per your first reply, you suggested one course of action is to send a soft appeal to MET. If they don't cancel the PPC, will they respond with the PoPLA code, or do I obtain that separately?

I'm a bit fired up about this, and am planning to visit the McDonalds in question later today to speak to the manager - firstly to see if I can obtain evidence to show that I did actually make two separate visits to the car park, and secondly to complain about MET. I have already contacted McDonalds via their website - awaiting a response from them.

Thanks for your patience.

Rob
  • Hovite_2
    Hovite_2 Posts: 749 Forumite
    Yep soft appeal to MET and then ( with help from here ) let the guns blaze for your POPLA appeal.

MET probably can be ignored BUT be aware that they can come after you for up to six years !
  • Thanks. I'd already drafted a letter laying out my version of events, so I've sent it in. PoPLA next, if MET insist on proceeding with the charge.
    Thanks. I'd already drafted a letter laying out my version of events, so I've sent it in. PoPLA next, if MET insist on proceeding with the charge.

Did you specifically ask for the charge to be cancelled and the PoPLA code if not? These PPC are becoming wise to the fact that their scam is being blown out of the water at PoPLA with a good, solid defense.

They may come back without a PoPLA code with some line about the appeal being ongoing. Be firm and be prepared to complain to The BPA and DVLA if they try to fob you off.
  • bryth65
    bryth65 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Custard Pie,

Yes, the letter specifically asks them to cancel the charge, and if it is not cancelled, the PoPLA reference/code.

Rob
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    bryth65 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.

Cheers
    Rob

Rob, it seems you initially wasted your time reading OLD threads but at least you have appealed now and are fired up enough to complain as well!

Ignore is not the current advice at all, you need to read up on the scam and about POPLA in particular. Choose any threads about any PPC from pages 1/2/3 of the parking forum and you should find out lots and see examples of POPLA appeal wording. And when you get to that stage, do not just send it like you did with this appeal. POPLA appeals need more work than that and some input from the regulars here, once you have drafted it.

Take confidence from all the successes when people have complained, I have just compiled his list (below) in less than 2 weeks. All links there show cases where people got fake PCNs cancelled by complaining to the landowner/retailer. There's even a McDonald's success there but only because the person literally collared the Manager in person!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62837690

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure