Realistic cost of removing ground floor chimney breast?

I've just become the proud owner of a 3-bed mid terraced property, with a view to making the interior as swish as possible without bankrupting myself.

The current dining room (for my lifestyle) is a waste of space, and the kitchen is far too small (perfect size for a utility room though!). I like the idea of a kitchen diner, and have ideas to remove the existing chimney breast in the dining room so I've got a nice flat wall to put a brand spanking new kitchen up against.

I only want to remove the chimney breast in the dining room and not the bedroom above, and understand that some sort of lintel / joist thing has to be put in place.

What is a realistic figure for all works involved to achieve this? I'm based in the East Midlands, if this affects the price significantly?? Myself and the OH don't mind mucking in as much as we safely can, but I want this to adhere to building regs 'n such. Any advice gratefully received.
Dance your cares away :T
Worry's for another day :j

Comments

• devmcc
    devmcc Posts: 216 Forumite
    Hi there - did you get this done?? I am looking at the same sort of thing and just wondered what a ball park figure would be... thanks so much.
  • Hi,

We are about to start a similar job.

We were going to have the whole chimney breast removed ground floor and first and supported in the loft was coming in around £2000-£3000 having lots of other things done too so rough estimate!

We are now leaving the chimney breast and instead putting a range cooker into it and making a feature out of it.

We are in East Midlands too, I think just removing one c/b should be cheaper. Hope this helps!
    [
  • devmcc
    devmcc Posts: 216 Forumite
    Thanks so much... we are doing the same (having quite a bit done).. but we are still undecided as to whether to build out (leaving the chimney as it is) or through (taking the chimney and the wall away)!!
    With the range cooker idea - I am now stealing your thunder.. if you alter the fireplace do you just take it so far and put a new lintel in?? Or will it stay up by itself??
    Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!
  • Hi,

I'm not sure, ours has a back boiler behind the fire so should come out with quite a big hole left, we might just have to raise the lintel and enlarge the hole but shouldn't cost as much cos would only be a little lintel?

We are putting in a 900 range cos of the size of the chimney breast they are just under £1000 for a middle price one so we will have two columns of brick either side and obviously above the cooker and it should hopefully push completely back with maybe a slight bit jutting out.

We are hoping to run the worktop round the chimney breast so it runs from one end of room to other just stopping for the cooker so will have worktop in the chimney breast - kind of made sense I think?!?:j
    [
  • My neighbour had the lounge chimney breast out and the whole room skimmed. It cost £1500.

I had bedroom and lounge chimney breasts taken out and a dividing wall knocked through and one room skimmed - cost £2K and £130 building regs.

Hope this helps.

I must admit I would be tempted to keep the chimney breast if putting a range cooker in.
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    about as long as a piece of string

many chimney breasts are structual ( spelling). and would require support for the above floor.

you need to get 3-4 builders in to give you WRITTEN quotes plus make sure they write down how long they intend to take what is invloved any any other costs that my be involved.

Ie there might be asbestos in the backing of the fire, there might be a back boiler ( if made out of copper keep this and take it to your metal scrap yard you could get about £8-15 for it.
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport