Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    because I was due a refund of a large amount of bank charges covering a few years and the refund had been authorised by the UK Government. Did I want a cheque or have the money paid directly into my bank account?

That is a fraudulent statement. There has been no such refund and the Govt does not use claims companies. Indeed, it is one of the scam warnings issued by the OFT and MoJ in recent years.

Its sad for the gullible souls that will be taken in by this.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • FlyVegas wrote: »
    Leslie Street in Southampton (maybe she said Southend - I'm not sure).

That Google Maps is so pants - it can't find a Leslie Street of a Lesley Street in either.
  • 6 calls today from UK Accident Helpline! Same mode as y'all getting. I am tempted to actually give them my bank details, as then it can be traced to a 'legitimate' business, then we can go after them. But then again I am vengeful! If there is a fraud or distance sales scheme committed on your card you have the right to a demand a chargeback if you card has a Visa or MasterCard logo - it part of the licensing arrangement with the V/M branding. Once you can identify the merchant number, which you need to process a card payment, you can trace it back to the person/business operator and can ask the relevant authorities for a prosecution - unfortunately scams like this are like malignant cancer and they keep reappearing under different names...
  • I have received 3 calls today and at least 3 calls last week from UK Claims Direct.
    The caller called 'Albert Smith' told me I had had an accident - NO I have not.
    The caller then decided to tell me what he would like to do to me!!!! He then called back and frightened my daughter by telling her he liked talking to her (she is 17).
    I refuse to put the phone down on him - he is not getting the upper hand and is just trying to scare me.
    He keeps trying to tell me he is in this country - then why does the number come up as International?
    I refuse to be scared by a little person who gets his kicks from trying to scare people.

Rant over.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mrs_Pickle wrote: »
    He then called back and frightened my daughter by telling her he liked talking to her (she is 17).

Go to the Police - he is a pervert.
  • I phoned the police to log the call and asked for advice. Been told they can not trace call and can not do anything because technically he has not done anything!!! I still receive calls every day but do not answer - he has now left messages on answer phone telling me he loves me!!!! What a creep!
  • danemi1
    danemi1 Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Mrs_Pickle wrote: »
    I phoned the police to log the call and asked for advice. Been told they can not trace call and can not do anything because technically he has not done anything!!! I still receive calls every day but do not answer - he has now left messages on answer phone telling me he loves me!!!! What a creep!

re nuisance calls - keep a log of how many calls and what number they are coming from and nature of call - then ring the police back and ask themt o create an incident ensure they give you the number and remember to note the date of incident down too as often an incident number alone is not enough - then anytime you get more calls ring the police back quoting that incident number/date down and add to it - malicious calls are an offence and should not be shrugged off - especially where they are causing distress and even more so when they are being perverse, rude and offensive
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 April 2012 at 3:31PM
    That reminds me. It's time to call "UK Claims Professionals" again and leave another message asking them to remove my landline and mobile numbers from their database. They've probably done so, but they won't know that until they check their database. Twice. Again. "Free" bundled 'phone calls are a wonderful thing.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Just received a call from "United Kingdom Claims & Finance Organisation supposedly the caller was Denis Clarke (? from Bombay)

Alledgedly arranging a refund of bank charges - definitely a fraud
  • tow
    tow Posts: 1 Newbie
    the long numbers on the front of your card are all generally the same so if they read of the first eight you think they have it and confirm/give them the rest its an easy trick to fall for so make sure you tell your m8s and family the score and as for your world record i think i might have it as i ve had my full living room in stitches winding these people up and yeah they can get nasty when they click on but next time i getting the missus to time it just to confirm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure