World Book Night: one million free books to give away - have you been selected?

Comments

• moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I do tend to pick books I think people will find more accessible rather than worthy. The way to get people into reading is to give them access to books they find enjoyable. I've still got a copy of James Joyce's Ullyses on my shelf that I feel I should read but have never got past page 37.:o

Also it's a nice thing to do for people, One year I just stood outside Tescos and gave the books to people that looked like they might enjoy them. I love random acts of kindness
  • I do tend to pick books I think people will find more accessible rather than worthy. The way to get people into reading is to give them access to books they find enjoyable. I've still got a copy of James Joyce's Ullyses on my shelf that I feel I should read but have never got past page 37.:o

Also it's a nice thing to do for people, One year I just stood outside Tescos and gave the books to people that looked like they might enjoy them. I love random acts of kindness

Ulysses, ohhhh yess! I wonder how many people have tried and failed to read this. Thankfully I only borrowed it from the library (more than once, I have to admit, and I never succeeded!:o).

I've applied for WBN and put The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency as first choice. I reckon if that doesn't appeal to people, there's no hope! Someone gave it to me as a present and since then I've read my way through all the subsequently published books in the same series, plus Scotland Street, Isobel Dalhousie and Corduroy Mansions.

Alexander McCall Smith sounds such a lovely man too. (It's worth checking out the Really Terrible Orchestra on YouTube, which he and his wife belong to. I heard about it and always assumed they would be actually quite good, just not up to professional standards. It was refreshing to find that they are genuinely pretty bad, like a fairly basic school orchestra!:p)
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks moneypenny2k, I was only thinking of this last night in bed :eek: I've taken part the last 2 years & would love to do it again.
  • Thanks moneypenny2k, have just registered for this, would love to be involved in something like this
  • kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've applied for WBN and put The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency as first choice. I reckon if that doesn't appeal to people, there's no hope! Someone gave it to me as a present and since then I've read my way through all the subsequently published books in the same series, plus Scotland Street, Isobel Dalhousie and Corduroy Mansions.

Alexander McCall Smith sounds such a lovely man too. (It's worth checking out the Really Terrible Orchestra on YouTube, which he and his wife belong to. I heard about it and always assumed they would be actually quite good, just not up to professional standards. It was refreshing to find that they are genuinely pretty bad, like a fairly basic school orchestra!:p)

My mums read them all but I'm afraid I find them a bit boring! :D
    But then we tend to read a lot of fantasy/comedy/sci-fi in our house - and other genres too, to be fair.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • My mums read them all but I'm afraid I find them a bit boring! :D

I can see that they are really quite slow-moving. I've always had what some of my friends consider to be a strange preference for books where nothing happens!;)

(I'd better stop talking about books as opposed to World Book Night; don't want to hijack the OP's thread but it's tempting!)
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • Savethekipper
    Savethekipper Posts: 1,434
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I work in a Magistrates Court and regularly see people who just don't have the same opportunities as me. I have applied to do this in the hope of getting some books to hand out and just maybe get some of them back to reading.
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can see that they are really quite slow-moving. I've always had what some of my friends consider to be a strange preference for books where nothing happens!;)

(I'd better stop talking about books as opposed to World Book Night; don't want to hijack the OP's thread but it's tempting!)

LOL I'm happy to talk books, it may convince more people to take part in WBN
    I work in a Magistrates Court and regularly see people who just don't have the same opportunities as me. I have applied to do this in the hope of getting some books to hand out and just maybe get some of them back to reading.

That's a lovely thought Kipper
  • emmlouie
    emmlouie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    thank you op, just got my email saying i am to be a book giver this year:)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Just got my e-mail to say I will be getting books to give-away this year.:T
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport