Rossendales Debt Collection Company

Had dealings with these last year, They are Debt Collectors who work for Council Tax collections.

They send you letters all the time, Threatning to come & take the 3 piece suite away.

They demanded 40.00 per week for my Council Tax bill of 1,000

I told them innocently that it was too much and they still kept sending letters.

The Tax was owed to a local Council in West Yorkshire, So why was a Lancashire company doing the work?

I eventually settled the money.

But they were really onto you thou, Saying in the letters - When the van comes etc...........

Anyone else had any dealings with them?
Thomson 757 Man

Comments

• RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I guess if you owe the money they are entitled to pursue you. People who don't pay council tax cost everyone who does more, so I can understand why councils make an effort to pursue those who evade their responsiblities as otherwise they would not be able to provide services to those who really need them.

Unless I am misunderstanding your post and you didn't actually owe the money, I am not sure what the warning or rip off is?
  • Were they trying to pursue a legitimate debt? If so, and its a council tax debt, then they will pursue it hard.
    Moving on up :o SPC #382 ~ £40 banked
    12k in 2016 #15. £541.91/£3000
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They demanded 40.00 per week for my Council Tax bill of 1,000

I told them innocently that it was too much and they still kept sending letters.

The Tax was owed to a local Council in West Yorkshire, So why was a Lancashire company doing the work?

I eventually settled the money.

You expected them to go away because you told them they were asking for too much? What's wrong with West Yorkshire council employing a firm based in Lancashire?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I understand were the OP is coming from. I have had similar issues to him/her to Rossendales. At the time I offered what I could afford and it just wasn't enough. However Council Tax is different than other debts. You can go to jail. It must be very high on the 'to be paid' list, next to secured debts.

I guess Rossendales have so many wasters, they find it hard to weed out the 'won't pay' and 'can't payers'. In the end I completed an Income and Expenditure and passed on all the details to my MP, who kindly sorted it out for me. At the time I fell into the 'can't pay category', I found them very pressurizing. I was ill at the time and to hear on a regular basis that they were sending bailiffs around, made me 10 times worse.

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • I think I need to 'reitarate' the point of the post.

I am not disputing Council Tax, The issue was the attitude of the company - A kind of 'Blackmail'

I offered to pay x amount like STEBZ? but has he/she said that was not enough to them.

It is company's like this who cause dispair for people who may be already hard hit.

I don't think some people understand what I am complaining about.
    Thomson 757 Man
  • Take warning this company will break the law and become violent to get money from you, whether you owe it or not.

I had Rossendales turn up at my door for a Council Tax debt that was still subject to an appeal, so it was undecided whether I even owed the money. They had been given the debt 10 months ago, I had never received a letter or telephone call from them, I had never heard of them.

The man at the door identified himself as from the Council Tax office, I asked him to hang on as I reached for my 5 week old babies blanket as it was cold at the front door. He followed me into my house uninvited. He told me that unless I paid £2,000 within 5 days he was going to take my sofa, dining room table and chairs, TV, 12 year old video player, broken stereo, broken dishwasher, microwave, tumble dryer, my kids framed photo's, some very old bibles that my grandparents gave me 30 years ago (extremely sentimental, but have no value), ornaments that I had collected from my travels from the past 30 years (again no real value), a cheap broken Matalan clock on my wall. I pointed out that I didn't even owe the money yet and I was told that it was tough the stuff would be sold and I would not get them back even if I won my appeal. All my electrical goods are extremely old or broken, you could tell I had no money, so he listed personal items, which I did not think they were allowed to do. He informed me that he only needed to leave me one dining room chair in the lounge and they would take EVERYTHING else.

It was then 3pm, I had to leave to get my children from school, the man refused to leave my house, when I tried to push him back through the front door, he swung to hit me and tried to smash my front door open, cracking the door frame. I have never been so scared - I divorced my violent husband so that my children andI would never have to face violence in our home again. I never expected the government to employ these violent bullies to attack the vulnerable, especially as their own agencies have made such a huge mistake in passing this on in the first place. I called the police and they are being investigated.

One of my friends was in the shower, her two young children downstairs watching TV and two great big men from Rossendales let themselves in and started listing her possessions!!!! The kids were absolutely terrified.
  • Butlers1982
    Butlers1982 Posts: 3,286 Forumite
    I don't think some people understand what I am complaining about

Pay your council tax on time like everyone else and these companies wont bother you, its really easy.
    You have nothing to complain about, if you choose not to pay your council tax then tough
  • Pay your council tax on time like everyone else and these companies wont bother you, its really easy.
    You have nothing to complain about, if you choose not to pay your council tax then tough

What complete rubbish: can't you read an OP?

The issue raised was about the debt collection agency's threatening attitude. NOT about paying Council Tax.

All debt collection agencies are governed by the Office of Fair Trading.

If you have ANY kind of problem with such an agency -- whether they're handling a commercial or Local Authority debt -- set out your complaint in writing to them (by Signed For mail), tell them to reply in writing with seven days, and enclose with that letter a copy of the complaint that you're going to file with the Office of Fair Trading about their behaviour if they don't give you the written assurances you need.
  • Butlers1982
    Butlers1982 Posts: 3,286 Forumite
    What complete rubbish: can't you read an OP?

yes and what im saying is, you wouldnt have to deal with companies like that if you paid your council tax on time.

Ive never had any dealings with such companies, because I paying my bills.
  • yes and what im saying is, you wouldnt have to deal with companies like that if you paid your council tax on time.

Ive never had any dealings with such companies, because I paying my bills.

They are not unknown to pursue the wrong people for money the don't owe.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport