SPEEDING, fine vs awareness course?

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2010 at 2:49PM
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    That is completely wrong.
    Well not completely wrong. You take the points then it IS a conviction but I know what you mean and sorry if I was misleading.

I've just thought about this and am going to stick with my original statement. The ins co asks you "Have you had any motoring convictions in the last 5 years" not "How many penalty points have you got". Taking the course instead of the points doesn't change the fact that you have a conviction for a motoring offence. I think you had bad advice on your course.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    edited 24 August 2010 at 8:44PM
    Quentin wrote: »
    Often they go on 10% + 6, so if Wiltshire follow that, 38 would be ok.
    the guideline is 10% plus 2! Thats the max you should work to even if some forces are more lenient.

Cheers

Edit: Just to clarify - what I have stated is the ACPO Guideline for you to have been considered to be speeding. The higher 10% + 6 guideline is the cut-off point for the offer of an SAC.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • I was on the border of Wiltshire and Dorset at Mere, so maybe it was the same sneeky copper! I'm a bit worried that I've heard nothing further in over a month though.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    keystone wrote: »
    I've just thought about this and am going to stick with my original statement. The ins co asks you "Have you had any motoring convictions in the last 5 years" not "How many penalty points have you got". Taking the course instead of the points doesn't change the fact that you have a conviction for a motoring offence. I think you had bad advice on your course.

Cheers

A speed awareness course is offered instead of a conviction! By accepting an SAC you have not admitted guilt (or innocence).
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It was not a "safety" camera, but a sneeky copper in a van! I was able to view the layby where he was positioned, on line and also inspect the calibration certificate of the speed gun used. (As if that helped.)

Was he sneaky ? or you blind as a bat and gormless as to your speed ? :rotfl:
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Was he sneaky ? or you blind as a bat and gormless as to your speed ? :rotfl:
    Here we go, the morality police are back.
  • keystone
    Paradigm wrote: »
    A speed awareness course is offered instead of a conviction! By accepting an SAC you have not admitted guilt (or innocence).
    Ahh OK thanks - now I understand. Never having been offered one......

Cheers

.......cos I only got caught once and it was before the SAC and in any event TVP cocked up the paperwork so case dismissed!
  • tomitma
    tomitma Posts: 390 Forumite
    I have been caught speeding on the M4 I was doing 82mph in a 70 zone, my awareness course is on the 24th September, I had a choice of 8 places in wales where I could take it, and it costs 80 pound in wales.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    keystone wrote: »
    .......cos I only got caught once and it was before the SAC and in any event TVP cocked up the paperwork so case dismissed!

Nice result :j
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Paradigm wrote: »

This is correct, when you fill in the S172 you are admitting to being the driver at the time of the alleged offence.

At that point you get 2 or 3 options. 1) Court Appearance, 2) Conditional Offer which is simply a conviction without a court appearance, for a lower price, or 3) Speed Awareness.

If you read the actual description, the speed awareness course is offered as an alternative to prosecution and "your liability in regard of the alleged offence is discharged".

If there is no prosecution, there can be no conviction, so if they ask "have you got any motoring convictions" you can truthfully say no. Some may ask if you've ever done a speed awareness course and of course you would have to say yes in this case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure