SPEEDING, fine vs awareness course?

Hi, yes on hols was speeding, I've got an option to do an awareness course.

What I would like to know is if I pay £60 fine and get 3 points on license my insurance premiums will go up (so I read somewhere),

if I pay £100 and do awareness course I get no points,
but I assume I will have to tell my insurance co. when I renew so my premiums will still be affected?
Sorry, never been in this situation before so any advice would help please.

:)

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    3 points on your previously clean licence won't affect your premiums that dramatically. I copped 3 recently for a different offence for which there was no alternative like this course. I run two vehicles, one private and one commercial, so different insurers and separate policies. In one case the premium went up by about a fiver per annum and in the other it went DOWN as the little bump I had a few years ago is now out of time and wasn't counted any more.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Oh and sorry yes you MUST tell your insurance company becase its still a conveiction whether you take the points or the course.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    keystone wrote: »
    Oh and sorry yes you MUST tell your insurance company becase its still a conveiction whether you take the points or the course.

Cheers

That is completely wrong.

It is not a conviction and you don't have to tell your insurers.

How do I know? I went on one and the course leaders made a point of telling us that and it was written in the course notes.
  • I too am an offender! If offered I would rather do the course and avoid the points. The course costs £60 in Wiltshire.

I sent off the reply to the original "notice of prosecution" letter, well over a month ago and am waiting to be offered the speed awareness course (or not) depending on whether I meet the criteria (or not). It seems to be taking a long time to get a reply, but maybe that's Wiltshire.

I was doing 38 in a 30 mph limit.

Do you mind me asking what speed you were doing and how long did they take to reply to you?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I was doing 38 in a 30 mph limit
    I doubt you'll be offered a course from that speed. Which police force nicked you?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Often they go on 10% + 6, so if Wiltshire follow that, 38 would be ok.

But haven't Wiltshire followed Oxfordshire and given up on "safety" cameras, and the safety camera partnership?
  • It was not a "safety" camera, but a sneeky copper in a van! I was able to view the layby where he was positioned, on line and also inspect the calibration certificate of the speed gun used. (As if that helped.)
  • Thanks everyone, Lucy Lastic I was in Dorset 38 in a 30 (SNAP!) a police van parked at side of road caught me (doh!).
    Not gonna challenge (too far to go back and would defeat mse object).

:)
  • If your licence is clean at the moment, 3 points won't make a lot of difference. Mine didn't go up at all when I was on 3. Most insurance companies don't bother about the first 3 now because so many people have them.
    If I were you I'd settle for the 60 quid and the points.
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    haven't Wiltshire followed Oxfordshire and given up on "safety" cameras, and the safety camera partnership?
    Yes and its the best new of the year. I for one isnt sorry to hear about their job losses!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure