BA going Buy on Board refreshments for short haul...

Options

Comments

• magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree.

It isn't just the BoB issue alone that is annoying many people, it is the erosion of many other benefits that by themselves may seem relatively insignificant, but when they are amalgamated, it is akin to a death by a thousand cuts.

Make no mistake, there will be more 'enhancements' and 'upgrades' to come with (imo) lounge access and the amount of tier points to gain status being 'reviewed'.

In the past, flying with BA was an enjoyable part of the trip, now, for many, it is just a means to an end.

Agree completely, although at least for future bookings that something where people can take their money elsewhere if they wish.

In this instance, it's a clear breach of contract - I've written to Watchdog and Which - will be interesting to see how/if they respond. It's outrageous behavior.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 October 2016 at 5:14PM
    Options
    richardw wrote: »

I can't think of any M&S food that I buy which tastes worse than free airline food. Sounds like a win to me. Will they cater for special diets?

EDIT: I agree that people who have already booked tickets should get what they paid for. The obvious solution seems to be that they should be given vouchers for the purpose of buying food and drink.
  • magyar
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    I can't think of any M&S food that I buy which tastes worse than free airline food. Sounds like a win to me. Will they cater for special diets?

EDIT: I agree that people who have already booked tickets should get what they paid for. The obvious solution seems to be that they should be given vouchers for the purpose of buying food and drink.

I do actually agree with that. I'd far rather pay for a decent sandwich than get a 'free' pack of nuts.

Drinks is a different matter. I'll be surprised if this is much different in quality. I think losing a free coffee or G&T is what is annoying most people!
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    magyar wrote: »
    In this instance, it's a clear breach of contract - I've written to Watchdog and Which - will be interesting to see how/if they respond. It's outrageous behavior.

I suspect many others will also be doing the same and as this issue affects so many people, I would imagine their researchers are looking into this as we write.

The insulting 'goodwill gesture' of offering 1000 Avios - whether you have one flight or 100 booked in the affected period - is insulting and just shows the contempt a once great airline has for its customers.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    magyar wrote: »

It will be interesting to see how this goes - I suspect that there will be some clause in their T&Cs that state they can do this.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how this goes - I suspect that there will be some clause in their T&Cs that state they can do this.

Mark

They can do it, they've given reasonable notice of variation and offered customers the chance to back out of the contract without penalty.
  • magyar
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »

Mark
    They can do it, they've given reasonable notice of variation and offered customers the chance to back out of the contract without penalty.

Well their T&Cs are irrelevant because the Consumer RIghts Act says:

"Every contract to supply goods by description is to be treated as including a term that the goods will match the description"

and that if they don't, the customer has a right to reject or to a price reduction. In this instance, the cost of rejection would be far higher for many people, since it means rebooking flights probably at higher cost etc.

So it seems clear cut to me they should give a price reduction on this basis.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Except your contract with them doesn't promise food or drink. Your contract promises travel from A to B. Furthermore you are receiving a service, not goods (in the same way distance selling regulations don't apply).

You are genuinely wasting your time (and the time of others), on a complete non-issue.
    Legal team on standby
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...meanwhile.... over on flyertalk they're moaning about the removal of cheese n biccies from long haul dinner meals.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • magyar
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    Except your contract with them doesn't promise food or drink. Your contract promises travel from A to B. Furthermore you are receiving a service, not goods (in the same way distance selling regulations don't apply).

You are genuinely wasting your time (and the time of others), on a complete non-issue.

Well, the point about wasting time is rather subjective.

But on the first point, I do disagree. The law says that a contract includes everything that was promised in marketing material. This includes catering. To give an extreme example, their First Class ticket says that you get lounge access, spa treatments, personal concierge service, high quality meals on board, and of course a very good seat up the front of the plane. If they tried to remove any of these items then quite naturally people would expect compensation - in fact EU laws (nothing to do with their Conditions of Carriage) say that if you are downgraded then you are specifically entitled to compensation. So it's clear that the law, not their contract, has ultimate jurisdiction.

I did myself consider your point about it being a 'service' and not 'goods' but again the law would say it doesn't matter what you call something in a contract, if you promise to provide goods, the law on goods applies. Food is definitely 'goods'.

And there is a very simple point here: BA clearly *did* promise something which they're taking away. Perfectly fine for people who have not yet booked. But people who have booked on the basis of a certain level of service should get it.

On any individual basis, the amounts are tiny, but it's clearly wrong that BA will save money by asking people to pay for something which they've already paid for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family