PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Comments

• I've spent the last few years working towards becoming a thrifty minimalist type to get debt repaid. It was at one point then there was a house disaster and now.... £15,393 needs to get down to £7,500 by the end of 2015! I've made most of my Christmas presents - I've spent just over £15 - £1.20 for two felt squares in colours I didn't have, £2.50 poster printing for parents family trees (thank you Ancestry free trials) £3 for brown paper, string and washi tape for wrapping, £6 for a frame for OH's cross stitch character present, £3 for the rabbit's hay cakes. My brother and his fiancee will get lunch bought for them next time I visit so maybe £25 for them.

I do Project 333 for my clothes and don't anticipate any purchases this year as I have enough to keep me going. Makeup has already been downshifted and all I will need is face powder, which my mum is getting me for Christmas. Toiletries I'm using up my supplies, which will definitely last me all year as I did an inventory last year so I know I have enough :o

I haven't bought a dvd/book/cd/game all of 2014, I use the library regularly and watch most of my tv online if I have time. I have a budget of £5,000 after the mortgage and council tax are paid and I need to stick to it to reduce my debts.

Great thread Slowdown
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Permission to come aboard, Captain.

I began my journey towards a simpler way of life a couple of years ago. I'm getting there but it's still a work in progress.

I'll join up with you lot so that you can keep me on course, steer me through the choppy waters of consumerism and avoid the rocks of debt.

Full steam ahead and steady as she goes.

Is that enough seafaring metaphors.:rotfl:
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Welcome aboard.

It's really very interesting reading all your experiences and ideas. I'm very impressed with people who dig themselves out of debt by simplifying and beating their own path through the whirlwind of consumerism without getting caught up in it. That is my main irritation. I dislike being manipulated by advertising and sales techniques that suck me in, the way I am made to believe that i can't do things for myself but i need, no deserve to have someone else to do it for me. And yet......I often sign up for it all. And I drive myself mad.

Do you know what I heard on a perfume advert last night? The last line spoken was "The scent of happiness". Well I'm beginning to smell the scent of happiness and it isn't in a fifty quid bottle of chemicals! It's the freedom inside my own head!

Thank you so much for helping me swab my decks! 30 days until time to weigh anchor!

Kind regards
    Slowdown :)
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Can I join in please?
    We've done a lot of work on the house this year & I feel as though i've lost control of my spending.

I need to get to more frugal, simple ways as frittering cash makes me miserable.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    May I join you? About six months ago I joined a group I think it was called "No More Stuff" Far from helping cut down the other members were buying into things I had never bought or cutting down on spending in areas I have never bought anything. I could not identify with them at all. I unsubscribed after a week.

There average age was well under 30, I am a pensioner on a very low income. My spending patterns bore no relation to what I spend. I think my big problem is I buy things I cannot afford, to help me save. I think I have cut down quite a lot on my charity shop buys because if I asked myself do I need it, the answer is probably not.

The way advertisers get to us is a lot more sophisticated than we know. I had a lesson in colour yesterday from my son. He spent a year studying advertising at college. Now how do we combat the effect a particular colour has on our minds if we don't even know they are doing it.

My son was actually talking about the luxury end of frozen fish. He proved to me I fell for the packaging. I don't think I am prepared for the next time.

Glad you include replacements because I had to buy a new washing machine just over a week ago. Having read about doing without a washing machine I decided I could not do without. I have no where outside to hang washing and would have had to buy a spin drier anyway. I thought even if you can buy one how much less would it be than buying the WM.
  • I love what you are going to do, I did it in the past and it enabled us to come through very difficult times in the 70s and 80s. Now I buy if something is broken but I buy a good replacement and I buy fibres for my spinning stash and I bought for me and dh for our spinning and wood carving hobbies but that was essential as we are retired and want to remain busy. I am, bit by bit, kind of downsizing in that stuff we don`t use goes to the cs and I have taken some very good items, during the past year or so. I get great pleasure in knowing that things will be re-used.

I confess to having been sucked in by the likes of qvc but that stopped completely 7 years ago. I sold via ebay then but not for 4 years, I would rather take to a cs.

I will follow your thread with interest, been there done that and it WORKS
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    JackieO wrote: »
    Recycle,re-use or repair seems to work for me ,well done on getting your 'lightbulb ' moment The more the merrier.I too hate all the kerfuffle with the multi-nationals and large SM groups telling us what we need and want instead of giving us what's really required, which is a better service, and better quality.

I came home tonight from my DDs with a discarded plastic bowl that had held a chocolate trifle that had been eaten over the weekend. It will be reused for something else (what yet I haven't thought :) ) but its not going to be chucked away into landfill.Just had a thought whilst typing,I may fill it with compost (got some left over in a bag on the patio) and throw some seeds in it (have some free parsley seeds that a friend gave me off the front cover of her gardening magazine) a small herb garden that can sit on the window sill in my conservatory, sorted :)
    Often its just a case of thinkng 'what can I do with this' :)

Good luck with your consumer holiday I am pretty frugal anyway and love to streeetch meals as a challenge .Look on the 'fiscal fasting' boards we are a pretty good lot on there as well :)

Jackie - don't forget to punch some holes in the bottom of the bowl so the seeds don't get waterlogged. Last time I had something similar I forgot the drainage holes and drowned everything!

Denise
  • my big problem is I buy things I cannot afford, to help me save

I know exactly where you are coming from! Says she who is going right up to the line, spending every last penny of my own personal savings, just before Christmas, to have a multi-fuel stove installed... there are some family savings, so it's not that dire, and Christmas is already mostly bought in, and we've never gone OTT anyway. But I'll have to save hard after Christmas to build my little "cushion" back up again.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Tamara_2
    Tamara_2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    What a brilliant idea for a thread, Slowdown! And it's so comforting to find out that other people agree with this kind of lifestyle! My husband are I are very much make do and mend types - we don't have debt except for a small mortgage, but we choose to do it because it's how we like to live. It makes me feel quite sick to see all the stuff in the shops at Christmas - the overwhelming message is 'buy more, spend more, eat more, drink more, and you'll be so much happier'. As nursemaggie says, they use every trick in the book to lure us in. I'll be checking in regularly to see how you're doing!
  • Now I am feeling really guilty. Just been to local fiveways to get dog food. Saw 4 lovely rolls @ £1 . Now I have plenty of bread in bread bin and freezer so what did I do? Yes you've guessed it, buy the rolls.
    Ooh but they were nice.
    Well I have finished all Christmas shopping plus food so will only need to buy veg and fruit. And all done with no getting into debt. I save all year round.
    Now I do have a very small in fact minute emergency fund for things going wrong but I think I should be ok to not be spending on anything else big or small that I do not need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure