Lidl Silvercrest Sewing Machine

Hi All

My mum has very kindly offered to buy me this sewing machine

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_8384.htm

Does anyone know if it is any good? I think it appeals to her because it has a 3 year warranty (and I blew up the mini sewing machine I bought!) but I would rather she didnt waste her money if the machine isnt very good.

Thanks

Comments

• hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Hi nuttybabe :D

it looks ok (very sim to mine) I would go for it :D and hope to catch up with you again on the sewing thread with more great things you have made :D

Kind wishes :D
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    thanks, i think i will get it! and thanks for the confidence in my ability! i just need to learn how to use it! and the first thing i want to make is the bag organiser!!! :P
  • almond
    almond Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2010 at 8:40AM
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    Hi All

My mum has very kindly offered to buy me this sewing machine

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_8384.htm

Does anyone know if it is any good? I think it appeals to her because it has a 3 year warranty (and I blew up the mini sewing machine I bought!) but I would rather she didnt waste her money if the machine isnt very good.

Thanks
    hi
    just had a quick look and its got everything you need including free arm
    i say go for it, unless you find one cheaper
    you need a free arm, button holer,
    will look at argos and see what they have, i use a brother got it for about £60 a couple of years ago, it replaced my singer 20years old and passed that on to friends daughter.

just found it for £68 at tesco

here is the one i got tesco and dunelm do them or did

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4600176/Trail/searchtext%3ESEWING+MACHINES.htm#tabrev
  • hart44
    thanks, i think i will get it! and thanks for the confidence in my ability! i just need to learn how to use it! and the first thing i want to make is the bag organiser!!! :P

Im very much a beginner and only got my machine at the beginning of Feb, I last did any real sewing when I was at school (very long time ago :rotfl:).

I have picked up loads of tips and idea's from the sewing thread :D

I love the bag organiser and its something on my ''to do'' list.

Have fun with the machine :D
    "Sewing fills my days,
    ~ Author Unknown
  • nuttybabe
    Thanks Hart44.

Well, i got one!! My local store didnt have any so I phoned customer services and they tracked one down!!! yay!!! Dh then got me the sewing box and 2 sets as well as he said i never get anything so now i have a hobby i can have stuff!! I am going to go through all my sewing stuff this afternoon and hopefully try the machine out later (although I do want to put the kids to bed now and have a go!! :P)

I will see you on the sewing thread, no doubt!! :)
  • Sexy_Em
    Sexy_Em Posts: 524 Forumite
    Am I being thick, or is it impossible to look at anything on that Lidl store?!

I wanna see the sewing machine as have been after one!! lol
  • Sexy_Em
    Sexy_Em Posts: 524 Forumite
    oh I figured it! looks quite good.

Nuttybabe - does it come with good instructions, as I'm a complete novice and would need instructions for dummies about how to thread it and stuff.

Appreciate your opinion on the machine

Em
  • hart44
    Thanks Hart44.

Well, i got one!! My local store didnt have any so I phoned customer services and they tracked one down!!! yay!!! Dh then got me the sewing box and 2 sets as well as he said i never get anything so now i have a hobby i can have stuff!! I am going to go through all my sewing stuff this afternoon and hopefully try the machine out later (although I do want to put the kids to bed now and have a go!! :P)

I will see you on the sewing thread, no doubt!! :)

Im so pleased you managed to get the machine and it is nice of your DH to buy you some stuff to get you going :D.

If I had my way I would put my 2 to bed earlier too :rotfl: and I can then get on with the fun bits (sewing :rotfl:)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    ~ Author Unknown
  • hart44
    Sexy_Em wrote: »

Nuttybabe - does it come with good instructions, as I'm a complete novice and would need instructions for dummies about how to thread it and stuff.

Em

Hi :D
    Im new to sewing machines too and mine came with easy to read instructions (something I need :D) so you can be sewing a straight line (or like me a slightly wobbled line :rotfl:) as soon as its set up.

I think most machines will have good set up instructions :D
    "Sewing fills my days,
    ~ Author Unknown
  • nuttybabe
    Sexy_Em wrote: »

Em

It is really easy to use! I put the kids to bed and set it up and have done 2 sock monkeys (just the legs, arms and tail straight lines!!!). Although setting it up I did sort of remember using my mums about 20 years ago!! :p

I would highly recommend it for a beginner!

I cant wait to make my bag organiser. Will have to find my old jeans tomorrow to make it out of!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure