Girls white dress for First Holy Communion

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    finc wrote: »
    I agree. It's a special time for them and there's no harm in them feeling and looking special as well. My daughter also had a veil but she has a condition that stops her hair growing so it's quite short and she wanted to feel more girly. The veil made her feel like she had long hair. I don't like it when they are dressed as mini brides with huge veils, trains and the works, it seems to take away the innocence from it IYKWIM.

From the showing off side, there were at least a dozen mums from my daughter's school who definitely fell into this catagory and could be heard making comments on some of the other dresses etc. I know it shouldn't matter what other's think but if any if the children heard them they could feel upest by the comments.

Back to OP if you don't want a veil you can get some beautiful silk flowers on and a hair comb that are simple but gorgeous at the same time. I used one to hold her veil in place. Also have a look in BHS, I bought some pretty white sandals for about £6.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/clairemh29/DSCN0637.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/clairemh29/DSCN0606.jpg
    A couple of pics of my princess on her day.

I used a tiny white silk flower hoop to hold the veil in place.
    No train, just a plain veil with a cross embrodiered on the back & edged in a simple embrodiery.
    I hate the polyester, OTT, layers & mini bride dress look too.
    But just to say you can spend loads not to show off, but because its one special day (& only one for my daughter & I) and it can look elegant & special without tacky.
  • ebaybaby
    ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
    Finc, I think you got it exactly right with your DD. Not only does she look beautiful but also sophisticated!
    MrsE you are so right, they will only do it one time and it's so nice for them to feel special!
  • ms_newbie
    ms_newbie Posts: 75 Forumite
    I've been out looking at dresses with my DD today - but unfortunately she liked 2 that were both £160 which is out of our budget. But now that I know the style she likes I'll be searching ebay, USA, Canada and anywhere else. We have already bought a lovely veil on ebay for £4.99 - has cross on back and a satin trim all round.

Good luck to everyone who is looking.
    Working hard to reduce debts and get better value for money :o
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I ordered the dress on the Adams website, which arrived yesterday. I was thinking I might not like it, but I'm really pleased with it and my daughter loves it. I got the dress and shrug, with a 15% discount code, total £36.

Marks and Spencer have a range of dresses in their Liverpool, Glasgow and Belfast branches, but you can order from any store. All their dresses are £65. This was going to be my back up plan.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    finc wrote: »

Just looked at your pics (couldn't view them before as on a work PC, only some images come out).

She looks beautiful:D
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I meant to say that too, she looks just perfect :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ebaybaby wrote: »
    I am probably going to get slated for this but I have to disagree with most of you who think it's ok to buy a summer dress and pass it off as a FHC dress.

Before you all start going mad, I dont think it should cost hundreds of pounds either or be too OTT.

But at the end of the day this is a very very special occasion for your daughter / son and I think it's worth pushing the boat out a bit more.

I actually dont follow trend or do what everyone else is doing, but I want my daughter to be/feel comfortable in what she is wearing and although I hate to admit it I would also be worried about the effect it will have on them if other kids made comments.

My eldest made her FHC a couple of years ago and we were lucky enough to be visiting the US before hand so hers was bought there. My youngest makes hers in May and Im still searching at the moment. But It will be a HC dress.

Good luck on your search.

surely but the day is not about a nice dress etc, it is about the recieving of Jesus for the first time, what they wear is not an issue. if you want to splash out then fine, but not everyone does and that is fine too
    I help run a FHC group and in past yeasr some of the poor girls dresses were so big, they could not kneel afterwards to pray...
  • girlsmum wrote: »
    surely but the day is not about a nice dress etc, it is about the recieving of Jesus for the first time, what they wear is not an issue. if you want to splash out then fine, but not everyone does and that is fine too
    I help run a FHC group and in past yeasr some of the poor girls dresses were so big, they could not kneel afterwards to pray...
    Yes your right its not about the dress but if the parents choose to put on a proper fhc dress which covers the tops of their arms they are different fron bridemaid dresses. there are fhc dresses out there for a reason so if a parent decides to buy a proper one meant for that purpose do not slate them. Like they will not slate the ones going for a normal summer dress.
  • ms_newbie
    ms_newbie Posts: 75 Forumite
    Stress was getting the better of me on Tuesday so off I went to M&S to get a communion dress for DD. However Glasgow stores only had up to age 9 and these are too small for DD. So I went into BHS and bought the Luciana first communion dress - reduced from £65 to £52 - aged 10 for my 8 year olds first communion. Brought it home and it was just too neat & too short (need to stop stetching DD each night :rotfl:). Recently she was delightedly phoning her Gran to tell her she was now bigger than her (according to pen marks on our kitchen wall!)

Went online and found they did it up to age 15 along with white Jemma shoes (reduced from £24 to £15) up to size 5.

Went onto quidco and found that as well as the normal 8% from quidco there is also a code for 15% of purchases of more than £35 before 31st March.

I ordered the dress in ages 11 &12 and the shoes in sizes 4 & 5 (planning to return those that dont fit). After discount and delivery this came to £117.40 and tracked for £9.11 through quidco.

I've already had email today saying they will be delivered within the next 2 days so even after I take back 1 dress and 1 pair of shoes and they take back some of the 15% discount and the quidco money I think I will have a lovely dress and shoes for less than £60 - and DD was delighted with the dress (which wasn't too different from one of the ones she loved recently at £160)

Dont feel like I'm getting ripped off any more. Hope the reduced prices and quidco deals can help someone else out.
    Working hard to reduce debts and get better value for money :o
  • girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes your right its not about the dress but if the parents choose to put on a proper fhc dress which covers the tops of their arms they are different fron bridemaid dresses. there are fhc dresses out there for a reason so if a parent decides to buy a proper one meant for that purpose do not slate them. Like they will not slate the ones going for a normal summer dress.

please read my post i am not slating anyone, if you read it it clearly stated that either is fine!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure