Talkmobile PAYG closing down

Options

Comments

• Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    They still appear to be selling the 12 month deals as an upgrade. I'm on the Pay Monthly and I've not heard anything about it closing yet.

So I might be wrong but I was under the impression that they were wrapping things up altogether, they have changed the way out of allowance data is charged.

The posted this tweet recently which is where I got my information.
    https://twitter.com/TalkmobileUK/status/864396780498235392
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Contracts stopped being available through Mobilephonesdirect a couple of months ago and don't seem to be offered on their website. I assume that whilst they may do so-called "upgrades" they will eventually cease to exist as a separate identity.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shrimply wrote: »
    So I might be wrong but I was under the impression that they were wrapping things up altogether, they have changed the way out of allowance data is charged.

The posted this tweet recently which is where I got my information.
    https://twitter.com/TalkmobileUK/status/864396780498235392

So the contracts will stay as Talkmobile until the end of the contract term?

Can we assume they will be administered by Vodafone when Talkmobile close down.

I have still got over a year left on my cashback contract with Talkmobile.
  • mr_mf
    mr_mf Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've read that you will be retained by Talkmobile until your contract expires and is then renewed/upgraded - at that point you become a Vodafone customer.

Essentially this is a managed shutdown of Talkmobile. Within a year or so everyone will be a Vodafone customer, and Talkmobile will be no more.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mr_mf wrote: »
    I've read that you will be retained by Talkmobile until your contract expires and is then renewed/upgraded - at that point you become a Vodafone customer.

Essentially this is a managed shutdown of Talkmobile. Within a year or so everyone will be a Vodafone customer, and Talkmobile will be no more.

Thanks. I hope you are right!
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    About staying as Talkmobile until the end of the contract or ending up with Vodafone? Either way it's a case out out of the frying pan and into the fire.
  • SuperSaint
    SuperSaint Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2017 at 12:45PM
    Options
    The bottom line is that Talkmobile/Vodafone don't want thousands of customers who are hardly using their phones and spending very little money. 'Glovebox' users must be costing them (and all other networks/MVNOs) a fortune as many are not spending enough money to cover the cost of keeping a line open and fully functional. It wouldn't surprise me to see most PAYG operators adopt a minimum usage/spend/top-up requirement sometime in the future.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm confused. The twitter page says there are no changes to contracts, only payg. Can I take out a new contract now then, and get to stay with Talkmobile?

Even if it was just for a year, I'd be happy enough with that for now. I really don't want to go with Vodafone.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I'm confused. The twitter page says there are no changes to contracts, only payg. Can I take out a new contract now then, and get to stay with Talkmobile?

Even if it was just for a year, I'd be happy enough with that for now. I really don't want to go with Vodafone.

You must have missed the tweet further up the page.
    Talkmobile @TalkmobileUK

Replying to @d1nonlytimco
    Morning Tim. Contracts will stay as Talkmobile, until you upgrade or take out a new one, that is when you will merge to Vodafone.
    ====
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My thinking was that if I took out a contract before the cut off date for payg ending, it might be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure