Get a grip woman!

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    By the way, I roasted all the courgettes in olive oil, salt pepper and chilli flakes and they are in a plastic bag in the freezer, ready to make soup!

We braided loads of shallots yesterday and they look lovely, and will store well, with all the small ones now pickled - Just the main crop onions to deal with now.

And beans - I need to string and freeze runners and french beans - lots of them!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure if you're on holiday or about to go but have a wonderful time _party_
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Suffolk_lass
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    Not sure if you're on holiday or about to go but have a wonderful time _party_

Thanks Paws - we've just arrived at the Villa we rent. Husband outside watering the pots and getting the monster paddling pool ready to fill - good alternative to swimming pool when it is 37c as when we arrived yesterday. Hopefully it will storm tomorrow as predicted. Who knew we would be hoping for rain!
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have a great time out there :) enjoy the storm!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Have a good time! x
  • Suffolk_lass
    Well, here I am, back from holiday with two months of high credit card bills to look forward to. The first thing I did on-line when we got home was to raid our emergency savings pot, moving money to the current account so that I could clear the balance of the 0% credit card before the deal expires on 31st August.

I have mixed emotions - on the one hand, I resent moving money back from savings to current account, but on the other hand I am relieved it has gone and I had almost £1500 in the current account so instead of needing to move over £2000 it was only £600. I am trying not to be too obsessive but I am going to check if the payment has gone yet (still showing uncleared and pending on the credit card account yesterday)
  • Suffolk_lass
    It's cleared. I have checked the account and it shows zero balance and confirms they will not collect my direct debit balance next month.:T

:j:j:j Hooray! :j:j:j
  • Suffolk_lass
    DEBTS[/B]

[STRIKE]£110,621[/STRIKE] £103,664,98 (£6,956.02 paid so far) - Mortgage
    [STRIKE]£3,476[/STRIKE] £0 (£3,476)- DH's car - paid off on 21st Aug 17
    [STRIKE]£8,755.54[/STRIKE] £5,571.72 (£3,183.82) - Barclays 0% Finance for double glazing

Total [STRIKE]£122,852.54[/STRIKE] £109,236.7 - that is £13,615.84 or 11.08% paid off so far.

SAVINGS
    £12,444.32 - this exceeds our emergency fund aim - I need to decide what to do with this now - more in another post
    £12,549.27 S&S ISA with Fidelity International (original £10,000 5 years ago, no further capital added)
    £5,988.63 DH's S&S ISA with Charles Stanley Direct]
    £3,136.51 2 year Bond with Skipton BS @ 4% Finishes in early 2018
    £10,947.52 7 year bond with Skipton BS - matures Oct 20
    [STRIKE]£38,630.43[/STRIKE] £45,066.25 Total actual cashable savings

Shortfall -£64,170.45 (all debts)

The big news is paying off the 0% deal credit card for which I had been setting aside money in our emergency fund account since I started this diary. I had saved up just over £2000 but when it came to it, I had a bit of a surplus in my current account so I only needed to move £600 from savings to cover it.

One further viewing on our house this month. According to local agents the whole market is flat as everyone goes on holiday and no half-year bonuses are due until September. Typical!

Husband is working out the bills shortfall for the other house

I’ll post separately about the other things we are mulling over.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Things to consider:

We are going to take a yoga class - where and when to be determined (we need to make sure we like the teacher). We did a one-off at the hotel we stayed in for a week of our holiday and both felt much better for a day's strengthening stretching.

We are going to go for a weekly swim. I have checked out one of the local pools and they open at 07.45 at the weekend. I think it will be tomorrow, for the first time in ages. I used to swim and would swim for 40 minutes every weekday morning but that was many years ago, when I was at College. Unfortunately while we are working, it can only be the weekend as we are gone by 06.25 for our commute.

I have exceeded the target I set myself for our emergency fund. The original target was £10k but actually, six months of outgoings is a bit more than that, so, do I keep increasing it or do I start moving it into more efficient longer-term savings?

The factors I must consider in deciding this are:

We are still trying to sell our house
    We are still trying to buy a derelict that will need lots of ready cash
    What shall we do with our second house that we own with our Son?
    Should I pay down the mortgage as originally planned, or hold it in an account where I can draw down if needed, and if the latter, what sort?

I still plan to retire within two years and I don't want to change plans after that too much
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Welcome back!

I want to give you some really good and insightful advice like you did to me but I just dont have a clue. No one would EVER want to take financial advice from me besides.

I feel like i dont even know your overall plan. Why have savings and debt? Are you already making the maximum overpayments on your mortgage?

I think spring is the best time to sell houses - so people can be in in time for the new school year.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport