Get ready for a Conservative/DUP coalition

Comments

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Well that would be Sinn Fein's moment to turn up in Westminster.

Then Westminster becomes relevant and the Dail does not, the Union strengthened and their central plank removed. They will look closely at what happened to the SDLP.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2017 at 3:06PM
    CEON44 wrote: »
    It is indeed a dilemma and as I said I dont feel I have had much choice in my vote. I have become very unsettled lately of the large swing in Nationalist voters moving to SF. To me this says that some friends/neighbours/work colleagues believe that their best option is voting for murderers, terrorists etc. This shift I believe is why a lot of unionist voters have left the UUP. Both the UUP and SDLP are now sinking ships and at some point will disappear leaving both sides with only two options, vote for your colour or dont vote at all.

The reason you vote for the DUP is the same reason that nationalists vote for SF - they are the only nationalist party with any sway at Stormont.

Like you, Nationalists have become disillusioned with the majority of the unionists voting DUP (who are also linked with terrorists - just not as directly as SF - but a large number of the older members have links with terrorist organisations), as they view the DUP as very anti-Catholic and very unwilling to accommodate Irish Culture.
    Therefore they vote SF, as unfortunately they are the biggest nationalist party.

I am very disappointed with the NI electorate in general, most people when you talk to them are reasonable people with reasonable views, and don't seem to support extremism on either side, yet at the ballot box, they vote for it.

For the second part of your quote:
    vote for your colour or dont vote at all

- there is and always will be an alternative - vote neutral - Alliance, greens etc.

I fully support a united Ireland, but recognize it won't happen until the majority of the North want it - and until that time I will vote for whatever non extremist party most reflect my views, especially at Stormont elections - as there is always a chance of the neutral parties getting a seat.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    I fully support a united Ireland, but recognize it won't happy until the majority of the North want it - and until that time I will vote for whatever non extremist party most reflect my views, especially at Stormont elections - as there is always a chance of the neutral parties getting a seat.

I also consider my non-extremist although I do vote for DUP. But all who support a united Ireland seem to believe that if and when they get a majority thats it all over and we're one big happy family. I certainly hope I'm not around when it happens because I believe there will be carnage the like never seen before on this island. Protestants will not roll over. The whole thing will switch round, with the protestant minority being the ones who will feel the need to rebel. Seems to me that currently SF want to ram Irish nationalism down protestant throats at any opportunity. What would happen when they had a legitimite right to do so in a UI. I never hear anyone mentioning post UI. But its something everyone will need to consider deeply if ever a vote comes
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hmmm......UI?

Do the South really want to put up with some of the rabble up here?
    Can they afford us? No Block Grant any more!
    Border areas with the highest per capita of benefit claimants (SF voters), that will be gone from them..

SF paint it as a paradise just waiting.. the truth will be far removed from that

Old saying "Be careful what you wish for" springs to mind.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    The reason you vote for the DUP is the same reason that nationalists vote for SF - they are the only nationalist party with any sway at Stormont.

Like you, Nationalists have become disillusioned with the majority of the unionists voting DUP (who are also linked with terrorists - just not as directly as SF - but a large number of the older members have links with terrorist organisations), as they view the DUP as very anti-Catholic and very unwilling to accommodate Irish Culture.
    Therefore they vote SF, as unfortunately they are the biggest nationalist party.

I am very disappointed with the NI electorate in general, most people when you talk to them are reasonable people with reasonable views, and don't seem to support extremism on either side, yet at the ballot box, they vote for it.

For the second part of your quote:
    vote for your colour or dont vote at all

- there is and always will be an alternative - vote neutral - Alliance, greens etc.

I fully support a united Ireland, but recognize it won't happy until the majority of the North want it - and until that time I will vote for whatever non extremist party most reflect my views, especially at Stormont elections - as there is always a chance of the neutral parties getting a seat.

The PR system is suitable for the above policy, the Westminster elections in most cases are not.
    Any politician supporting the idea of a united ireland should be spending their time trying to persuade people to vote in favour of it, and not just maximising their own side's turnout. When Norway seceded from Sweden in 1905, around 98% of people ( well, men, anyway) voted in favour. If Sinn Fein were to manage a mighty turn out and for some (admittedly unlikely) reason there was a low unionist poll, leading to a 50%+1 result in their favour, what an unhappy outcome that would be. The same applies to Scottish nationalism, where the recently chastened Nicola sturgeon spent the last couple of years talking about "the Scottish" and "Scotland", meaning those who voted for her, and everybody else, who were in fact the majority, can get lost. Bad idea.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    tommie wrote: »
    Hmmm......UI?

Do the South really want to put up with some of the rabble up here?
    Can they afford us? No Block Grant any more!
    Border areas with the highest per capita of benefit claimants (SF voters), that will be gone from them..

SF paint it as a paradise just waiting.. the truth will be far removed from that

Old saying "Be careful what you wish for" springs to mind.

Kilburn and Camden Town (also known as County Kilburn and Ballycamden) could get very crowded, very quickly. Who knows, it might be for the best.
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    Cotta wrote: »
    Surely holding the balance of power can only be good for us in NI in terms of finance for health, schools and infrastructure as well as during the Brexit negotiations.

Why so much negativity is beyond me.

Good for NI? Or good for the DUP? I'm sure they would like you to think it's the same thing... The problem is, in the long term, anything which keeps the DUP going (or any other narrow local party) is probably a bad thing. Isolating the electorate from the rest of the country.
  • Tammykitty
    CEON44 wrote: »
    I also consider my non-extremist although I do vote for DUP. But all who support a united Ireland seem to believe that if and when they get a majority thats it all over and we're one big happy family. I certainly hope I'm not around when it happens because I believe there will be carnage the like never seen before on this island. Protestants will not roll over. The whole thing will switch round, with the protestant minority being the ones who will feel the need to rebel. Seems to me that currently SF want to ram Irish nationalism down protestant throats at any opportunity. What would happen when they had a legitimite right to do so in a UI. I never hear anyone mentioning post UI. But its something everyone will need to consider deeply if ever a vote comes

In my opinion anyone that supports the DUP or SF is supporting extremism and the them vs us attitude

Both the DUP and SF would actually be better off accommodating "the other side" -

The unionists need catholics to realise the north is no longer "a cold place for catholics" - and that they could be happy with a functioning NI government, and allow the promotion and celebration of the Irish identity within the UK.

This way the catholics would me more likely to not vote for a UI

The nationalist need to not alienate the unionists and make them realize that that a UI wouldn't be a disaster and that the even in a UI, there is still a place for the Unionists, and the culture could still be accommodated - this is likely to mean that if the vote was ever 50% +1, the transition is likely to be smoother, and maybe some unionists would even vote for a UI given the right circumstances.
  • Tammykitty
    Cotta wrote: »
    Surely holding the balance of power can only be good for us in NI in terms of finance for health, schools and infrastructure as well as during the Brexit negotiations.

Why so much negativity is beyond me.

It is a disaster for Stormont as the Conservatives can no longer be described as impartial for the talks to get Stormont up and running.

In theory, it should be good for NI, but without a functioning assembly I am skeptical that it will be.

I hope the DUP ask for things that will benefit the whole of NI, such as no reduction in the block grant if we lower corporation tax, promises to replace EU funding etc, and not for things that are more divisive, such as amnesty on prosecutions of soldiers, or a block on the Irish Language Act etc.

Only time will tell.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    It is a disaster for Stormont as the Conservatives can no longer be described as impartial for the talks to get Stormont up and running.

In theory, it should be good for NI, but without a functioning assembly I am skeptical that it will be.

I hope the DUP ask for things that will benefit the whole of NI, such as no reduction in the block grant if we lower corporation tax, promises to replace EU funding etc, and not for things that are more divisive, such as amnesty on prosecutions of soldiers, or a block on the Irish Language Act etc.

Only time will tell.

James brokenshire has already said a period of direct rule is likely. Whether that period extends to beyond a time when I'm too old to see the ballot paper was not specified.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport