PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,555
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    May I cut and paste my own tip, which happened into another Thread earlier(when I was en route to sth else. Oh the perils of looking in here!)
    ####################

I cut down a milk container for freezing something yesterday and thought the upper half would make a good funnel, with helpful handle......

Good for jam pouring etc.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Swedes labelled 600g in Tesco are 84p each or 2 for £1:50, that's £1.25 a kg.

The 600g appears to be the minimum weight, rummage around as we did today and get 2 swedes weighing 900g and 950g or 81p a kg.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,555
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes rhiwfield - I always weigh priced fresh produce. The variation can be substantial - trouble is, lots of peeps can't grasp the primciple and Tesco staff rarely do, when it's a misprice.
    On such occasions, dear old R&R usually kicks back in:rolleyes: :D
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand wrote: »

I cut down a milk container for freezing something yesterday and thought the upper half would make a good funnel, with helpful handle......

Good for jam pouring etc.

I do this too :) many of my freezer containers are cut in half milk bottles, and I have some handy funnels too!
    For other uses I cut them open but leave the handles on so I can carry them around/pull them out etc (theres some 6 pinters under the sink with things stored in)
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • willis
    willis Posts: 123
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Best use I've ever seen of a milk container was my brother in law using it as a tool container belt. Cut the top part off, leaving the handle on. He then puts the handle bit on his belt, so it stays there, and put screws/nails/etc in it so when he's doing DIY he has them right to hand..
    We've started doing it now, it's fab, especially when DH is up a ladder - his hands are free and he doesn't have to come up and down for nails.
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I need to MSE train my hubby better!

We were just up at the Co-op getting some shrooms and cheese, I headed straight for the reduced section and picked up half price shrooms and a couple of chicken kormas with rice (my fave) that were reduced to 85p - now in the freezer.

no reduced cheese so we went to the regular section and he grabbed the ready grated stuff straight away, 250g for £2.80

I grabbed the 500g block next to it that was £3.21 and said "Get that put back, we can grate this!"
    He looked at me like my head had just turned inside out.

It's just taken me about 30 seconds to grate the whole block into an airtight tub!

...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,285
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    ...no reduced cheese so we went to the regular section and he grabbed the ready grated stuff straight away, 250g for £2.80

I grabbed the 500g block next to it that was £3.21 and said "Get that put back, we can grate this!"
    That's a big difference there and this is normally true for grated cheese, but on my last online shop with Mr S I noticed our normal basic full flavour cheese block was £6.28 per kg whereas the ready grated (non basic) mature was £5.98 per kg. If we had the mild basic that would have been £3.96 per kg grated - but we like it strong :D
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £65.52 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    I need to MSE train my hubby better!

We were just up at the Co-op getting some shrooms and cheese, I headed straight for the reduced section and picked up half price shrooms and a couple of chicken kormas with rice (my fave) that were reduced to 85p - now in the freezer.

no reduced cheese so we went to the regular section and he grabbed the ready grated stuff straight away, 250g for £2.80

He looked at me like my head had just turned inside out.

It's just taken me about 30 seconds to grate the whole block into an airtight tub!

...Linda xx

wtg, Linda! You teach him, girl!!

I'm 'getting there' with my OH. He learned very quickly about whoopsies! Also taught him not to go out with any specific 'treat' in mind - but to just look and see what's on offer and make do with that instead :D.

He's also been told that HomeBargains and B&M Bargains should be thoroughly searched before he even thinks of setting foot in Asda.

The other thing he has now learned is to always look to the bottom shelves for price reductions/rollbacks :D.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    On the question of cheese and liking a nice strong flavour, even if the matured stuff is more expensive, you can sometimes cheat by buying the cheaper stuff and adding a good dollop of mustard (powder or liquid) to give it an extra "kick".
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Primrose wrote: »
    On the question of cheese and liking a nice strong flavour, even if the matured stuff is more expensive, you can sometimes cheat by buying the cheaper stuff and adding a good dollop of mustard (powder or liquid) to give it an extra "kick".

I just add LOADS of fresh black pepper, I'm a black pepper addict!

If it's going on toast or in a panini I spread the caramelised onions on first.
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure