Virgin train booking query

mutley74
mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 July 2017 at 6:37PM in Public transport & cycling
Hi
I am trying to book a ticket for some else to travel this Friday for a week. I fond no option where I can add the travelers name so I can print their ticket for travel.

I highlighted the trains and got through to the payment screen. I am unable to go to the station to use my credit card so they can get tickets from the machine.

On Ticket Delivery screen, I only get the option Fast ticket collection at station.

Any help appreciated.

(Virgin trains online help page says it is possible to print and book for someone else).

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It may be possible to print-at-home for someone else, but print-at-home is not available for all routes. If your journey includes a non-Virgin train then you will almost certainly have to use the Ticket-on-departure from a railway station, and that will need the payment card used for the booking

You can collect the tickets before Friday, and from another station, if that is more convenient.

Some ticket sellers will allow collection using a card other than the payment card used for booking, but you might need to try telesales rather than booking online.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 July 2017 at 8:12PM
    You can use any card to collect tickets from the machine.

I purchased a ticket from virgin for someone the day before yesterday using my card then they collected it using there own card.

The ticket was meant to be collected from London Euston but it was collected from Manchester Oxford Road.

I think the only time they need to match is when you print the tickets at home and you'll need the card you purchased them with when you travel.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    stclair wrote: »
    You can use any card to collect tickets from the machine.

I purchased a ticket from virgin for someone the day before yesterday using my card then they collected it using there own card.

The ticket was meant to be collected from London Euston but it was collected from Manchester Oxford Road.

I think the only time they need to match is when you print the tickets at home and you'll need the card you purchased them with when you travel.

Be careful with this statement, I buy a lot of tickets and the site is quite clear I can only collect if I use the card used for booking them. I collect from my local station, before I can even input my reference number I have to use my card to bring up the booking details.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Their site also says you need the same card to collect.

http://trainsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1732/~/how-do-i-collect-my-tickets-from-a-fastticket-machine%3F
    Tickets are ready within 2 hours after booking online and can be collected any time before travel. FastTicket machines are located at most mainline stations or selected site locations.

For collection, please have with you:

1. Credit / debit card used to make the booking.
    2. Ticket Collection Reference given to you when the booking was made.

For details on where you can find your ticket reference click here.

How to use the FastTicket machine

1. Press "Collect".
    2. Insert the credit / debit card used to make the booking.
    3. Key in your unique Collection Reference Number. Your ticket(s) will then be dispensed.
    4. Your ticket(s) will then be dispensed. Do not remove tickets from the machine until all tickets have been issued and the main screen informs you that the transaction is complete.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spoke to Virgin representative they said print at home is not an option for me. #

I need to collect the tickets from a machine using the card payed for.

Next time will try order with more time via post!
  • soolin
    Also it goes on to say

If the ticket will be collected at a self-service ticket machine:

To be able to collect the ticket from a self-service ticket machine the payment card used to make the booking is required. You should only select the collection option if you intend to pick up the tickets on behalf of the traveller, or if you provide them with the payment card used to buy the ticket. Without the payment card the ticket cannot be collected and a new ticket will need to be bought.

So it might be that they have rolled out a trial in some areas, but I wouldn't risk using a different card whilst their own site says it is not possible to collect tickets without the original payment card.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 July 2017 at 10:38PM
    soolin wrote: »
    Be careful with this statement, I buy a lot of tickets and the site is quite clear I can only collect if I use the card used for booking them. I collect from my local station, before I can even input my reference number I have to use my card to bring up the booking details.

When I purchase tickets the person who collects them always uses there own card its never mine. It might vary but it's always the case for myself. Maybe you should try it and test it for yourself. You can always call them anyway and they can change it so any card can be used. Because if you lost the card you would be buggard if they couldn't. I've never actually purchased a ticket for myself online as I have to use the ticket office.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I work for company and we regularly purchase tickets on the company's credit card for our customers to collect at the station. Clearly these customers do not have access to the company's credit card but never have a problem collecting the ticket with their card and the booking ref.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I also pick up tickets from my local station using my CC when a central company CC has purchased the tickets. I've done this for several (many?) years.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    soolin wrote: »
    I collect from my local station, before I can even input my reference number I have to use my card to bring up the booking details.

Putting the card in in my local machine brings up no details. The booking details don't come up until the code is keyed in (after using my card).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure