Worst Interview Experiences/Questions?!

Comments

• dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    cmw1212 wrote: »
    Omg :eek: really?
    I can't recall any really bad questions but have had interviews where the interviewer seemed to be on the attack which isn't very nice especially if the attack is regarding your CV or experience.

Absolutely - see my post above - I had the same experience in the interview I am refering to, but once I realised I was pi**ing into the wind, I gave as good as I got in a subtle way due to me knowing something that went wrong in this workplace - for which he was indirectly responsible.

A horrible person.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    adg1 wrote: »
    Interviewer picking up his BIC biro and handing it to me:

'Sell me this pen'

Answers -

It writes and means you can write things.

It can also double as a straw were your to be stuck on a desert island and need to stick it in a coconut.

A life-saving pen AND you can write a letter to get attention too.

Might struggle for a stamp though.

A-HA! You can stick you note in it, secure both ends with the nib and the cap and float it away. Like a small message in a bottle.

What a pen.

I've been asked that question as well, it was years ago for a position in an employment agency, I mean the person behind the desk not me going for an interview for one of their vacancies.

It was something to do with being able to sell. I'd no idea what to say, needless to say, I've never had a sales position :rotfl: it was around the time that the tops started to have holes in them to prevent choking, I think I was meant to sell that bit.

More recently, I'd already decided that I didn't want a particular job, the job itself sounded fine, but the environment awful. The interviewer said "well, I won't say I don't like you, but I'll let you know", I ran as quickly as my legs would carry me. Turned out that he'ed already been on the 'phone to the agency who sent me saying the job was mine :eek: I said, no thanks.
  • I hate - name some of your bad points and what would you bring to a desert Island - apparently whisky and women not an acceptable answer :)
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    One that was asked of me that I wasn't prepared for was "Tell me the last time you were out of your comfort zone" I really had to think quickly for that one and waffled. I always try to have an answer that is something related to my work experience and how I turned it into a positive.

I'm glad I wasn't asked some of those above though.
  • I was recently asked to do a ridiculous long multiplication of fractions while the interviewer watched over me. A bit weird when it was for an admin role.
  • shikoku
    shikoku Posts: 671 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2010 at 5:52PM
    The answer to the age question is this, say: 'I'm happy to tell you...' lean forward slightly 'is it important to you?'

Implication : We both know you can't ask me this.
    ~*~ If you don't need it, it isn't a bargain ~*~
  • scooo
    scooo Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    adg1 wrote: »
    Interviewer picking up his BIC biro and handing it to me:

'Sell me this pen'

Obviously this question travels well, I was subjected to the exact same question in Australia.

My response .. "do you want to buy this pen?"
    Reply "No"
    My reply "fair enough, what are you doing in here then?" - after all, if you didn't want a pen, why are you in a pen shop????

Never got the job and the interviewer was very offended. I was just bemused :huh:
  • Hermia wrote: »
    My two worst questions were:

1) What was the date of your last period?

What the hell, why would someone ask you that?!
  • I had one interviewer ask me what my mum and brother did for a living! :eek: Even if I had been offered the job, I'm not sure I would have taken it.
  • ian_h
    ian_h Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2010 at 7:02PM
    shikoku wrote: »
    The worst interview technique is when they lean back in their chair and say 'tell me about yourself'

Answer as far as I am concerned is 'well what would you like to know?'

Lets face it we already know we have a tosspot for an interviewer when they do this.

I take it you were never successful at an interview when asked this question?

I'd wholeheartedly disagree with your reply and your assertion that your interviewer is a "tosspot".

This question (especially for sales and customer service roles) allows the interviewer to see whether you can "sell" yourself - after all if you cant sell yourself (who you know better than anything) you are going to struggle selling the firms products/services.

Its also an opportunity to see how you have prepared - you should from your research have an idea of what the company needs from someone in the role you have applied for and you have the opportunity here to demonstrate your qualities to fulfil the role.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure