Get ready for a Conservative/DUP coalition

1234568»

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 June 2017 at 5:50PM
    ...and now it's happened. How long would you give it?
    More free money. More dependence on English largesse. More of a spending backlash when England eventually elects a labour government.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Rejoice!!

Take it and be thankful,

Gift horse and all that...
  • qwert_yuiop
    edited 26 June 2017 at 6:52PM
    Well, probably, but the long term implications may be interesting. Having confidently expected president Hillary, a majority for remain and a strong Tory victory, I'm not making any predictions. The only result I was correct on was a retreat for Scottish nationalism. I'd say you could have made a useful profit if you'd been able to bet on Alex salmond losing his seat in 2017, a couple of years ago.

I see the Scots are upset already (check The Scotsman website) - suddenly all this money is available for here and none for them. Who could blame them?

I can't see why TM needed a deal at all. The DUP were not going to back Corbyn.
  • redped
    redped Posts: 724 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I see the Scots are upset already (check The Scotsman website) - suddenly all this money is available for here and none for them. Who could blame them?

There was nothing stopping either the SNP or Plaid Cymru from doing a deal with the Conservatives - sounds like sour grapes on their part.

I'm just stunned that NI politicians have acted like grown-ups for once, and have secured money which will benefit everyone in NI, not just one side or the other.
  • qwert_yuiop
    I can't see SNP making a deal with the Toarrries, but you're right - whose fault's that?
    Looks like they've had their day - even in the seats they won, they were nowhere near 50 % of the vote. Therefore a referendum if forced through should lead to yet another political career ending in failure. More Scottish labour MPs?
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd like to see just how this money will be spent.

No doubt the DUP will find some shameful way to make a pigs ear of it.

And RHI hasnt even been investigated yet...
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Zola. wrote: »
    I'd like to see just how this money will be spent.

No doubt the DUP will find some shameful way to make a pigs ear of it.

And RHI hasnt even been investigated yet...

If there's no return to Stormont then it will be controlled by Westminster, if Stormont returns then it will be both DUP and Sinn Fein. I'd be shocked if all the spending areas mentioned ended up with DUP ministers
  • qwert_yuiop
    edited 27 June 2017 at 5:22PM
    guiriman wrote: »
    If there's no return to Stormont then it will be controlled by Westminster, if Stormont returns then it will be both DUP and Sinn Fein. I'd be shocked if all the spending areas mentioned ended up with DUP ministers

They won't and they can't. The opposition will be ready to pull this down at the slightest hint of skullduggery.

Credit where credit's due and all that - you have to hand it to Arlene for squeezing a billion quid out of a PM who really didn't need to give her anything. Perhaps they should call her in to negotiate brexit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport