Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• Mumkin
    Mumkin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    HI WAYT and thanks for your reply. I am slightly concerned by the low level of maximum monthly withdrawals on the Monzo card, and also perhaps by the fact that the bank is new.
    Additionally, as I will be travelling in Western Australia, the fact that it's app based, means I will be reliant upon mobile phone/wifi signals to access/top-up - which is sometimes not possible, given the remoteness of parts of the state!
    But I guess it's true with all these pre-paid cards - they all have pros and cons, dependent upon how much you will use them etc etc.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    Mumkin wrote: »
    HI WAYT and thanks for your reply. I am slightly concerned by the low level of maximum monthly withdrawals on the Monzo card, and also perhaps by the fact that the bank is new.
    Additionally, as I will be travelling in Western Australia, the fact that it's app based, means I will be reliant upon mobile phone/wifi signals to access/top-up - which is sometimes not possible, given the remoteness of parts of the state!
    But I guess it's true with all these pre-paid cards - they all have pros and cons, dependent upon how much you will use them etc etc.

Get one Monzo and one Loot card if you want prepaid. Then you have higher ATM withdrawal amounts. £1000 from Monzo and £3000 from Loot.io(ATM withdrawals: £0 for the first two each month, £1 each withdrawal thereafter) after account verification.

One doesn't have to pay cash for everything.

Otherwise Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, Santander Zero or Barclaycard Travel Platinum CCs are useful for travel.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mumkin wrote: »
    In such locations there may also be limited opportunity or need to use money. Your Clarity card has a lot of capacity for ATM withdrawals. In any case it's not wise to rely on any one card when travelling. Your normal bank card would probably be cheaper to use than a Sainsbury Cash Passport.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • duffs54
    duffs54 Posts: 131 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    WAYT wrote: »
    Yes, but remember that over 230€ you'll be charged 2% for further ATM withdrawals.
    Metro Bank debit or Monzo are probably better for holidays.

I really only want to use it for shopping and meals, cafe's and bars we will use cash, so I will put on half and half then we are covered.

Towards end of hols, use the cash up as a priority.

Thanks x:beer:
  • WAYT
    Options
    duffs54 wrote: »
    I really only want to use it for shopping and meals, cafe's and bars we will use cash, so I will put on half and half then we are covered.

Towards end of hols, use the cash up as a priority.

Thanks x:beer:

What does that actually mean?

Don't bother to get Euros in the UK. Just take the 225€ out of the ATM on arrival. Then only use cash when necessary. If you run out of cash, using Revolut to take cash out of an ATM won't be more expensive than obtaining Euros in the UK, even with the 2% charge.
  • duffs54
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    What does that actually mean?

Don't bother to get Euros in the UK. Just take the 225€ out of the ATM on arrival. Then only use cash when necessary. If you run out of cash, using Revolut to take cash out of an ATM won't be more expensive than obtaining Euros in the UK, even with the 2% charge.

So getting Euro's in France is cheaper then?
  • WAYT
    Options
    So getting Euro's in France is cheaper then?

Getting Euros from an ATM in France using the right plastic is the cheapest and best way.
  • duffs54
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Getting Euros from an ATM in France using the right plastic is the cheapest and best way.
    Does this include other cards then my sis is asking , she normally takes a Halifax credit card as there are no fees on foreign exchange. shes got an excellent credit rating lol
  • duffs54
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just another quick question, is the Revolute card ok to use at French petrol stations please?
  • WAYT
    Options
    Does this include other cards then my sis is asking , she normally takes a Halifax credit card as there are no fees on foreign exchange. shes got an excellent credit rating lol

If it is the Halifax Clarity, yes. She just needs to clear the card as soon as possible in order to avoid paying interest. No need to wait for the bill to be produced.

Also works for the Creation Everyday, Santander Zero, Barclay Travel Platinum credit cards and varied other debit and prepaid cards.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback