PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I used vinegar soaked kitchen towels on mine, and it worked a treat.

Just fold the kitchen towel length ways a couple of times, so you have a long narrow strip. Soak in vinegar an press up under the rim. Use as many towels as you need to cover the whole rim and leave as long as possible, over night preferably.

I had to do it twice, but the second time was just to catch the more stubborn bits than didn't clean the first time.
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I used vinegar soaked kitchen towels on mine, and it worked a treat.

Just fold the kitchen towel length ways a couple of times, so you have a long narrow strip. Soak in vinegar an press up under the rim. Use as many towels as you need to cover the whole rim and leave as long as possible, over night preferably.

I had to do it twice, but the second time was just to catch the more stubborn bits than didn't clean the first time.

That sounds like a really good idea. I was thinking along same lines but wasn't sure how successful it would be. Tried loads of 100% limescale removers to no avail but this and the acid idea seem to both be what mine might need. Shall give it a try. Thank you. :D
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I put a load of borax down a dry loo and got an old knife and straped it off.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    WD-40 :) kid you not! (think it's even listed in the OS book ;) )
    leave on for 30 mins and try a bit, if not coming off leave another 30 :) Normally I use vinegar and folded kitchen roll and leave it to sit - treated all the faucets and loos at work as they were driving me bonkers looking at all thet limescale lol
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    WD40??!! Will this work below the water line - I mean if you can get a reasonable shot at it with the tube?
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • All I can say is Tesco Toilet Limescale remover works on every bit of Limescale I have ever come across.
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    i go with the borax i empty out my toilet bowl and make a paste with the borax quite thick then paste it on and leave as long as i can then give it a scrub and rinse,works for me
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • sticher
    sticher Posts: 599 Forumite
    LJM how do you empty out the toilet bowl. I have succeeded in lowering the water level with the toilet brush, but some water remains and it is in the U turn that I can still see limescale.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sticher wrote: »
    LJM how do you empty out the toilet bowl. I have succeeded in lowering the water level with the toilet brush, but some water remains and it is in the U turn that I can still see limescale.

I used old news papers to soak up the last of the water in mine. You need a carrier bag handy when you take them out.

You could wait until you have a towel ready for the wash and use that. Just flush the loo first and the water the towel soaks up will be the same water that comes out of your taps.
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    it sounds awful but rubber glove on and scoop it out with an old washing powder scoop,only thing i had small enough to get in bottom of loo,but it works
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure