PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chazzers - do you budget?

Comments

• Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Everyone is doing much better at keeping their budget down according to the other thread. Things are much more expensive around here.

So far I have learned to shop in local charity shops rather than the large organised multinational ones. The problem is though if there is a chazzer you cannot, not go into it!

And to shop in the Everything £2 shops (we don't have Everything £1 shops around here)

And to stick to the non affluent area shops.

How do you keep your budget down? I struggle because although I have target prices in mind, if I see something I want I just have to have it.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I only go into the chazzers for two reasons . 1 to drop off a box of goodies that are of no use to me but are saleable, or 2 if I have identified a need (not a want, I ignore "wants") and I think there's a reasonable chance I might find something to fill the requirement.

Good example - about 10 years ago, I managed to get a very comfortable pair of sandals in the chazzer; I wore them and wore them until they were so tatty that my husband nagged me to get rid. I then looked in the chazzers whenever practical, and eventually found another pair to replace them. At that point the old pair did get binned. It never even crossed my mind to visit a shoe shop and buy a pair there! :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Towser
    I've never seen a £1 rail round here (greater London), I'd struggle to find any adult clothing at less than £4. Nonetheless it's cheaper than buying new and I like the idea that things aren't going to waste so I buy almost all my clothes from chazzas.

Me too, good value to money.

For real bargains I prefer the car boot sales.

Bring on the carboots this summer for the real bargains. Charity shops do presort though, whereas you can find tat really needs to be binned at the carboots.
  • Ive been going in charity shops for 22 years, and the difference is amazing. They never used to sell 'new' type/branded stuff [that I recall]. The prices were MUCH cheaper than shops, and there was no ebay where chazzas could look up the relative value of something.
    I find nowadays that it often costs me less to get stuff posted from ebay and co. than driving to town and buying in a CS.
    Things I go and look for in CS are if I need a lot of fabric like sheets, small furniture or unusual objects I may have in mind.
    I rarely buy clothes anymore and prefer to trawl ebay at my leisure, 'slow buying/slow shopping' for the exact thing that I want.

Since decluttering, I:
    1] made a rule not to impulse-buy in chazzas, asking myself why I think I want the thing Im looking at and if I can live without it.
    2] dont want to replace all the stuff I just got rid of to charity!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    LameWolf wrote: »
    if I have identified a need (not a want, I ignore "wants")
    I agree...but a "want" can spark as much pleasure as a "need" on certain occasions.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Towser
    I have lost my chazza mojo.

I am not buying anything at the moment.

I was buying flat ankle boots, dresses and leggings.
    For the kids and hubby jeans, shorts, T-shirts, and hoodies

For teachers "the best teacher in the world mugs" to give and the end of the school year and at Christmas.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Towser wrote: »
    I have lost my chazza mojo.

I am not buying anything at the moment.

Me too, not bought anything this week.
    But I have been a naughty girl on eBay though. :o
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sent 6 bags to one yesterday, haven't been in yet to see what they're charging
  • Towser
    Are you just going to let this great little thread die?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My 'new' thing to look for at the charity shops are Shakespeare plays.

My teenage DD has her heart set on applying to drama college in a few years time and I've recently got her lessons with a great teacher whose speciality is the Bard. Teacher is a great believer in buying 2nd hand too and not spending much, so I've started picking a play up when I see it, in anticipation of it being taught. So far, Romeo and Juliet for £1. When I get more familiar with how much I can expect to pay, I'll set myself a budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure