PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Swimming pool

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    My parents pool isn’t heated we get a lot of use in the summer. Children don’t seem to mind that it isn’t heated.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Id love a house with a pool. Heated though.
  • They are thinking of buying a house with a pool, not selling
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A pool NEVER devalues a house. The real estate agent is just trying to get you to lower the price. A pool is a sign of luxury. You need to get a better real estate agent. Get that pool heated, ditch the agent and sell it for a solid price.

They are the buyers.
  • treecol
    treecol Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you all - so many answers! It is a heated pool, it has a big box of gadgets alongside the house that runs, heats & does all the stuff. We like the idea of a pool, we're just thinking ahead for when we would eventually downsize - would we have trouble selling. I will check with a few pool companies to get an idea of costs.
    I think the bottom line is if the vendor wants to sell, they will have to give us running costs - not much to ask. I did find a thread online from 2009 that said to heat a pool from April to October cost £600 a month back then. Yikes! Maybe we'll have to see how much solar would be/ Thanks all again.
  • My grandparents got rid of theirs, this was indoor, in Germany, so a number of different variables, but it was costing them 500 Euro a month to heat, and this is going back about 10 years.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Perhaps pose as a new customer asking 'we have 13 grandchildren, thinking of getting a pool as they'd love it and we enjoy swimming' etc. The company may be more obliging if they think they're going to get a sale rather than just a query on an existing pool.

Do not do this. It wastes the company and staff time on false pretence.

Be honest with them.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would never entertain buying a house with a pool unless its price was sufficiently low that I could have the pool removed and all traces of it obliterated for the amount saved off the 'non-pool' price.

Nothing says 'chavtastic' more than a pool in the back garden of an otherwise regular suburban property.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    At 5lb 3oz, the biggest trout I ever caught was from an ex-swimming pool.

Tub of fry from a farm, a few bags of pellets and, hey presto, part time business, or just a nice source of protein for the barbie.

What's not to like?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There is a huge difference in cost between solar heating and using electricity which can be hugely expensive. Solar heating extends the time you can swim at little running cost. Without some heating you may find you only use the pool for a few days a year unless you are a Spartan.

We sold a house with a pool and it put people off and encouraged them in equal measure. Several prospective buyers were planning on getting rid of it.

Assuming it is a proper blockwork construction pool it can be emptied although as has been said normally you just add chemicals to keep it in balance and don't change the water. There is probably a valve by the circulating pump which allows you to pump out the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure