Overpaid bill based on incorrect meter serial number

Sephs
Sephs Posts: 33 Forumite
edited 14 November 2017 at 12:25PM in Water bills
Hi

We have been in our new build housing association flat for two years in February (one bedroom, two people). We had been paying our water bills as normal until September this year, when I noticed that the usage seemed extremely high with an “estimated” reading of 111. I stupidly paid the bill and it was only at this point I checked our meter and found that our reading was actually only 75, and that the serial number UU had for us was actually not the serial number on my meter. I logged a query with United Utilities on their website and someone called me a few days later. She was very helpful and informed me I would receive back what I’d overpaid. She said someone would come back to me within ten working days.

I’ve just had a call from UU and the man I spoke to informed me that investigations would need to take place on my neighbours’ meters and that they would come back to me within four weeks. I informed him that I understand the need to iron out the issue with the serial numbers being incorrectly linked to the wrong properties, but I’m not happy about having to wait another four weeks before there’s any mention of me getting my money back. I’m guessing I’ve overpaid by at least £100 and I would quite like this back sooner rather than later.

A few questions based on this:
Should I kick up a fuss about having to wait four weeks before they’ll even talk about refunding me?
Are they likely to send me a cheque or will they just “credit my account”?
Is there anything else I should know? (Except: provide your readings and don’t pay bills based on estimates! Lesson learnt there.)

Thank you :)

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sephs wrote: »
    Hi

We have been in our new build housing association flat for two years in February (one bedroom, two people). We had been paying our water bills as normal until September this year, when I noticed that the usage seemed extremely high with an “estimated” reading of 111. I stupidly paid the bill and it was only at this point I checked our meter and found that our reading was actually only 75, and that the serial number UU had for us was actually not the serial number on my meter. I logged a query with United Utilities on their website and someone called me a few days later. She was very helpful and informed me I would receive back what I’d overpaid. She said someone would come back to me within ten working days.

I’ve just had a call from UU and the man I spoke to informed me that investigations would need to take place on my neighbours’ meters and that they would come back to me within four weeks. I informed him that I understand the need to iron out the issue with the serial numbers being incorrectly linked to the wrong properties, but I’m not happy about having to wait another four weeks before there’s any mention of me getting my money back. I’m guessing I’ve overpaid by at least £100 and I would quite like this back sooner rather than later.

A few questions based on this:
    Should I kick up a fuss about having to wait four weeks before they’ll even talk about refunding me?
    Are they likely to send me a cheque or will they just “credit my account”?
    Is there anything else I should know? (Except: provide your readings and don’t pay bills based on estimates! Lesson learnt there.)

Thank you :)

Hi Sephs, and welcome back to MSE after 8 years :cool:

They won't refund you until:
    a) they have corroborrated the complaint you have made.
    b) they have rebilled you (if appropriate)

How can they do this beforehand, even if they wanted to? They don't know how much you have overpaid, and you have only guessed.

Any money you may be owed seems to stem from payments you started making 2 years ago. Is another 4 weeks to correct matters really so vital?

Good luck!
  • Sephs
    Sephs Posts: 33 Forumite
    footyguy wrote: »
    Hi Sephs, and welcome back to MSE after 8 years :cool:

They won't refund you until:
    a) they have corroborrated the complaint you have made.
    b) they have rebilled you (if appropriate)

How can they do this beforehand, even if they wanted to? They don't know how much you have overpaid, and you have only guessed.

Any money you may be owed seems to stem from payments you started making 2 years ago. Is another 4 weeks to correct matters really so vital?

Good luck!

Hi footyguy

Thank you for the welcome back, and thank you also for your reply. You are quite right, and I'll hold my horses until they can complete the investigation.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport