We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    wow it's a glorious warm sunny day here Jazee! Have been to the allotment for a couple of hours. Raked (bashed! Whoever knew raking is harder than digging??? 2 beds 2 m x 2.5ms so will be planting in the there in the next few days :)

Have spent some time in the garden and greenhouse. Have planted early potatoes. Some in a bed and some in a tub. Repotted chives as they were in desperate need. Separated into 2 much bigger pots. I can see 3 more broadbeans poking their heads out of the soil, as have 2 courgettes.

am starting to transfer some seedlings out in the greenhouse. Have put them in there today but will get them in shortly

I'm tempted to sow some squashes. My allotment neighbour already has his germinated and he has potted on. Mine say end of April but he said it's warm enough now. We're down south - what do you guys reckon?
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Everyone
    Lovely day here in Gloucestershire. And things are on the move seedlingwise. Everything but peppers - I might need to buy some as I was very late in sowing.
    I'd go with the pumpkin planting Determined do you have a light window sill you could put them on - as you want to give them plenty of light when they germinate. I have mine in an unheated greenhouse - sown about a week ago. I'll keep them in pots until late May and then everything will be outside except for toms, cus, peppers and melon.
    The rhubarb is going bananas - I notice it's £6 a kilo in the shops. I might put some out at the gate for sale next week as I won't need all of it and I still have some in the freezer.
    Might try and take some pictures if I can remember how to load them up.
    All the best.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I've actually got an unheated greenhouse Fruittea so think I'll go ahead and sow then :) If I'm going to do those I might as well do cucumbers as well :)

have got beetroot out to soak tonight and then will be sowing those along with turnips and carrots tomorrow morning at the lottie
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't believe it's nearly the end of March and only now I'm joining this thread.

I took last year off growing my own (mostly) because I bought a house and moved so didn't really gave the time to think if the garden. I did get a few apples from one if my youngish trees and some lovely strawberries but they was the extent of it.

I've been spending this week getting work done on my new garden in preparation for this year. I've put three more fruit trees in the ground that were bought as bare root two years ago and grown in tubs. I'm now up to three cherry, three apple, two plum and a pear all in the ground. I really wanted another two pear and an extra plum to make it up to three of each and each year I've bought the supermarket offer trees but this year the quality has been very poor and I'm almost out of time to get bare root trees. I've even tried three local garden centres and the quality us either low or the price just too high (£45 for a smallish tree).

I've bought seeds for carrots, parsnips, peas, green beans, sweet corn, radish, lettuce, peppers, broccoli, melon and I'm sure there are a few more that I've forgotten. I haven't shown any yet but will be getting it done over the weekend and next week. I have some Desiree seed potatoes and am going to attempt sweet potatoes this year too.

I also need to buy new strawberry plants, blueberry bushes and see what I can salvage from last years raspberry canes and maybe get a few more and my herb garden died off from lack of care with the house move so I need to start that again.

I need to choose an area to start a new compost heap, I've been working on my rabbits run today and dug up lots of worms that have been put in a tub of dirt nice and safe ready to add to my heap.

I'll be spending this evening doing my annual spreadsheet and date planning for the sowing, planting out, fertilising, maintaining and harvesting plus end of season care so I have a decent plan going forward to get the best from my crops.

I'm now off to look for online offers on fruit trees, strawberry plants, blueberry bushes, raspberry canes and herb seeds. Wish me luck.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Evening all. I'm ache all over now. After the hard frost we had a lovely day too and I've tidied the garden and either put in pots or the ground - carrots, parsnips, sweet peas, peas, cucumbers, aubergines, courgettes, tomatoes, kale, basil, peppers, chilli peppers and leeks. Probably others too but I've forgotten now. Oh yes, alpine strawberries.

So I have the following seeds going spare if anyone would like them. Just PM me your address and I'll get them off to you,

Fennel
    Squash - yellow scallop
    Broccoli - sprouting early purple
    Cabbage - golden acre
    Cabbage - greyhound
    Celery
    Broccoli - green calabrese
    Squash - rolet
    Sweet corn - bodacious
    Cabbage - offenham 2
    Squash - sweet dumpling
    Marrow - long green bush
    Kohl Rabi
    Celeriac
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 March 2017 at 12:24AM
    Options
    Beautiful day. Spent a couple of hours on the plot this afternoon. Finished clearing three beds in the tunnels. I've still got fennel, garlic and onions growing from last year. I took a chance and uncovered the new potatoes, they are about 18" high, hopefully it wont turn frosty.

Outside I only managed to pull up the remaining sprouts and give them to the hens, cut some sprouting broccoli and pulled some leeks. I also managed to check all the netting which goes around and over all the beds, it looks to be intact. (I have to cover all the outside beds as we are plagued with rabbits. Baby rabbits can get through the 2" tweld mesh :mad:). We are also plagued by deer but since the area has been fenced to 7' high they can't jump in - unless I forget to close the gates. :(

Just updated my signature, added in the leeks, sp broccoli and 2 fennel, to my veg/fruit savings against supermarket prices. It's now is £19.55 and I've still got loads in the freezer to use from last year.

The seeds in the house are starting to germinate. If it's a nice day tomorrow I should have time to do a bit more.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll join in the 'Gardeners Ache' club.

9 till 2 up the plot yesterday. Was determined to get my onion sets in, only to get all the way up there and realise I'd forgotten them and all my other seeds! What a plonkers. Its a down one side of a valley, up the other walk home so figured I'd leave them for another day this week as we are set to be dry till Friday with some sunshine HURRAH!

So instead I set to work digging out/weeding and large 2mx2m area which is amongst the fruit bushes. My plan is to errect a net/cage over them as it has my blueberry, currants (red, black and white) and gooseberries within it just to try and deter the birds.

Plot neighbour - you probably all know the type 'fountain of knowledge' - really nice chap is able to get pallet collars in exchange for beer, 6 cans for 4 collars - good deal to me. So I had part of my order delivered from him yesterday. Bought some of the fence treatment paint from Aldi so going to get these all painted this week too. Thinking I'll hand it off as a job to the 6 year old and it should keep him occupied a fair bit up there this week.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    just seen your sig CAFCGirl did make me chuckle. I'm in my 2nd year and feel exactly this way!

arrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The most terrible has befallen me :( Today is my last day of my holiday when I haven't got madam & I had plans of performing small miracles but I came down with something last night and woke up this morning feeling shocking. Have just taken some pain relief in the hope I'll feel capable to do a few things, but right now not feeling hopeful.

I've organised to go and collect manure and someone is taking me so I can use their trailer. So regardless of how I'm feeling I'll be shovelling *** this afternoon! But I had arranged with my friend she was coming to the allotment with me this afternoon and was hoping we'd clear out the shed, work out what's useful and what isn't and do some general clearing up/raking over a 1.5 x 2.5 m bed and investigate the situation under the membrane I've left all winter. Hmmmmm not feeling hopeful at this point. Really annoying as she is super good at tidying, while I am not and I don't know when she'd be available to help again

Might muster energy to pot on some things in a bit. Boo hoo I've been ill so much this year :(
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh poor you DNMS!
    I hope the meds help, and you can make inroads into your plans and get lots done.

Wellness vibes being sent xx

As for my sig - yes I am still just as bad with money as I was 10 years ago..... I think my lightbulb must be a dud LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I thought it related to gardening CAFCGirl. One track mind!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills