Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    havent reviewed tv this year though i did remove sports and movies

1 little online broadband retention deal
    10 p/m 12 months

the recent sports channel changes dont yet interest me

though maybe as my q conrtact expires Sept maybe I’ll try a tv retention deal online nearer the time
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Brimble
    Brimble Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Can you negotiate TV and BB/LR packages separately with Sky? What I mean is, if I agree a new deal on my TV for 12 months, will it automatically extend the BB/LR contract too, or can I then deal with that separately?

Does anyone get good FIBRE BB & LR deals anyway? I see lots of reports on here of people getting good TV deals (obviously after giving formal notice of cancellation) then getting 60% off TV package before termination date, or 75% after, both with maybe £50-100 credit. Yet I very rarely see anyone getting anything good of Fibre BB&LR. My current TV deal is 70%, yet my Fibre BB deal is just £10 off, so £18.99 for line rental and £10 for BB, about £29 pm in total (12 month contract), significantly more than competitor's deals (eg. BT with MasterCard cashback works out less than £21pm).

How are you supposed to negotiate BB anyway? Whenever I threaten to cancel, they normally just say that they don't need to do anything, and that I should just tell my new provider to take over the provision of my BB and it will happen automatically. It's not like TV where you formally request cancellation, get a termination date, then can call them a couple of days beforehand... :/
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 July 2017 at 2:13PM
    SIRUSKEY wrote: »
    Been off now for 2 weeks. No calls or letters!

Maybe the 75% is a thing of the past?

Getting on well with the nowtv.

Same here had a 60% off e mail and am going through the options now. The offer was almost missed as it was "hidden" in a game of thrones titled mail.

Got nowhere on live chat, despite mentioning the 60% offer they would only go to 40% off! Strange, maybe I need to call them.
  • Brimble wrote: »
    Can you negotiate TV and BB/LR packages separately with Sky? What I mean is, if I agree a new deal on my TV for 12 months, will it automatically extend the BB/LR contract too, or can I then deal with that separately?

Does anyone get good FIBRE BB & LR deals anyway? I see lots of reports on here of people getting good TV deals (obviously after giving formal notice of cancellation) then getting 60% off TV package before termination date, or 75% after, both with maybe £50-100 credit. Yet I very rarely see anyone getting anything good of Fibre BB&LR. My current TV deal is 70%, yet my Fibre BB deal is just £10 off, so £18.99 for line rental and £10 for BB, about £29 pm in total (12 month contract), significantly more than competitor's deals (eg. BT with MasterCard cashback works out less than £21pm).

How are you supposed to negotiate BB anyway? Whenever I threaten to cancel, they normally just say that they don't need to do anything, and that I should just tell my new provider to take over the provision of my BB and it will happen automatically. It's not like TV where you formally request cancellation, get a termination date, then can call them a couple of days beforehand... :/

I got 60% off tv package on a rolling 12 month contract the end of May. Wanted to upgrade to fibre but wouldn't budge on £30 tried phone and live chat with no luck phoned again 2 weeks ago and got fibre unlimited for £6.01 on 18 month contract discounted for 18 months couldn't give me any discounts on line rental or call package as I still had a discount on them was advised to ring and ask for re-contract dept once my discount had ended as they were sure I would get a good deal. Will ring next week as my discounts end then and see if I have any luck
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Brimble wrote: »

I recently went through remove broadband online

12 mths 10 p/ m was offered online I accepted as skyfibre has been excepionaly stable for q and ipad/iphone

upto 30 speed at my age I cant read online any faster :)
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • bugslife
    bugslife Posts: 22 Forumite
    Cancelled Sky TV package end of may, had a few offers to return best of which was 60% which I received by post a couple of weeks ago. Just called to accept that offer and was told it expired last Monday, my fault hadn't noticed expiry date. Best they offered me on phone was 25% off. Didn't accept that so what do I do now, will I get a better offer
  • SIRUSKEY
    SIRUSKEY Posts: 58 Forumite
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    Same here had a 60% off e mail and am going through the options now. The offer was almost missed as it was "hidden" in a game of thrones titled mail.

Got nowhere on live chat, despite mentioning the 60% offer they would only go to 40% off! Strange, maybe I need to call them.

They made me send them a screen shot of the 60% offer. I have still declined it. We only had the basic package so it's not much of a miss with nowtv.
  • Brimble
    browner448 wrote: »
    I got 60% off tv package on a rolling 12 month contract the end of May. Wanted to upgrade to fibre but wouldn't budge on £30 tried phone and live chat with no luck phoned again 2 weeks ago and got fibre unlimited for £6.01 on 18 month contract discounted for 18 months couldn't give me any discounts on line rental or call package as I still had a discount on them was advised to ring and ask for re-contract dept once my discount had ended as they were sure I would get a good deal. Will ring next week as my discounts end then and see if I have any luck

Sorry, just to be clear:
    You agreed your TV contract a couple of months ago at 60% off for 12 months on 12 months contract; at that point, they wouldn't give you anything on BB or LR so you just left them running on your existing contract at that point.
    You called back two weeks ago and they gave you fibre BB for £6.01pm (normally £20pm) for 18m on 18m contract; however this didn't extend your Line Rental contract?
    Therefore you are hoping to call back soon to get a discount on your Line Rental / call package?

So if I understand correctly, you now have 3 separately running contracts for TV, BB and LR, all with differing durations / end dates - is that right? If so, what would happen if your LR went up significantly and they wouldn't give you any discount, wouldn't you need to keep it in order for your BB to work?

Personally I'd be happy with BB at £6.01 for 18m with full-priced LR, that's more than I've ever managed to get (I've always just had £10 off).
  • Brimble wrote: »
    Sorry, just to be clear:
    You agreed your TV contract a couple of months ago at 60% off for 12 months on 12 months contract; at that point, they wouldn't give you anything on BB or LR so you just left them running on your existing contract at that point.
    You called back two weeks ago and they gave you fibre BB for £6.01pm (normally £20pm) for 18m on 18m contract; however this didn't extend your Line Rental contract?
    Therefore you are hoping to call back soon to get a discount on your Line Rental / call package?

So if I understand correctly, you now have 3 separately running contracts for TV, BB and LR, all with differing durations / end dates - is that right? If so, what would happen if your LR went up significantly and they wouldn't give you any discount, wouldn't you need to keep it in order for your BB to work?

Personally I'd be happy with BB at £6.01 for 18m with full-priced LR, that's more than I've ever managed to get (I've always just had £10 off).

That's right my TV ends next May although I should have said it was discounted for 12 months on 31 day rolling contract so can leave within 1 month if better offers come along. My fibre unlimited is switched on Tuesday 25th discounted for 18 months on 18 month contract. I assumed my line rental would also run for 18 months but was assured no and when my conformation email arrived it only states fibre unlimited so yes I have 3 separate contracts all ending different dates. Hopefully I will get some discount on the line rental but if not it will still work out cheaper than the £30 quoted. Will update how I get on regarding line rental.
  • Brimble
    Please do update us about the LR. Sounds like you've got a great deal! I'm still not sure what would happen if they significantly increased the LR, as you'd effectively be tied into it because of your BB needing it, but that's an extremely unlikely scenario.

I'll be within 31 days of my contract end in a week's time, so I'll be looking to get something similar to you...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback