Have you tried to reclaim old bill credit?

Comments

• My Wife janet telephoned Eon a couple of days ago and was told she was owed £9 on electric and £9 on Gas, they said that they would send a cheque in the post. It's not much, however it's better in our pocket than theirs.

However when she rang British Gas, she was confronted by an obnoxious gentlemen, whome said in no uncertain terms that they owed us £9, but under their terms and conditions in the small print that they can not give out cheques for less than £25.
    which I think is a load of Bull, so watch this space.:money:
  • I too am having trouble getting money back from first utility my account is now closed and they hold £319 of my money I had an email last September 23 which said my last bill was now being processed it is now December 14 and I am still contacting them it is excuse after excuse no final bill and no rebate but do talk to a lot of people as I get transferred from department to department and it go on like that every time I ring them.
  • I checked up with Scottish Power after reading your article. They owe me just over £73 from when I changed over supplier. They say it will be in my account within 10 days but after reading other S/Power ex-customers experiences I won't be holding my breath. :(
  • I have been doing some digging with previous energy suppliers, Scotttish Power said that they need to check their old archive accounts as they don't hold my details on their current system so as the last poster quoted, I am not holding my breath! However after contacting Npower and checking online my old account I am in credit of just over £500! When I rang them they said it can take 40 days to refund me from my final bill so fingers crossed!

What I was thinking was, if they are holding onto that amount of money which is owed to me, am I entitled to getting any interest that has been accumulated as well? And if so how would it get worked out? Afterall, why should they have my money sat in their bank gaining interest when quite rightly it is mine?!
  • msn22 wrote: »
    I have been doing some digging with previous energy suppliers, Scotttish Power said that they need to check their old archive accounts as they don't hold my details on their current system so as the last poster quoted, I am not holding my breath! However after contacting Npower and checking online my old account I am in credit of just over £500! When I rang them they said it can take 40 days to refund me from my final bill so fingers crossed!

What I was thinking was, if they are holding onto that amount of money which is owed to me, am I entitled to getting any interest that has been accumulated as well? And if so how would it get worked out? Afterall, why should they have my money sat in their bank gaining interest when quite rightly it is mine?!

When you say from your final bill does this mean that you have received a final bill already and they are advising a further 40 days from this point? If so that seems ridiculous.

Unfortunately there is no provision for collecting interest on account credit balances. I know of one supplier who offers 3% interest on account credit balances (OVO I think) but most will have it in the terms of your contract that no interest will be earned.
  • Jan10
    Jan10 Posts: 7 Forumite
    This is my 3rd phone call to Scottish Power in over a month. I am still hanging on after 43 minutes. I was asked to e mail my details over 4 weeks ago, but have received no reply. I have the old account number and the date (2011 ) I left but they still are unable to say if I have overpaid. I have contacted 3 other companies on relatives behalf and have received answers within minutes.
  • I had an 18 month battle, with help from the Ombudsman, to get them to correct their DD error - they were taking £199 a month when we use £60 a month fuel. Eventually got sorted - very long story - and then battled to get £500 of the £800 credit back. When I entered the meter reads online last week for Oct to Jan, and that debit was taken off my balance, I was STILL £250 in credit yet S/Power increased the DD yet again! I applied to drop it back to the original DD and they demanded a one-off payment to do so, yet with my credit balance I had over 4 months of fuel payments already in hand with them, so I emailed to complain and their answer was really snotty - basically said they have actioned a refund of all the credit immediately, without me authorising/asking, but are now INCREASING the DD to even MORE as a result!!! HOW DARE THEY?? I have demanded a call from their manager but nothing yet.
  • lagib
    lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In 2014 and on the ''Cheap Energy Club'' advice,I rapidly shifted supplier from Scottish Power to Flow Energy (customer for only 1 month) and then to EON without incurring any penalties. In the process, my monthly outlay for the same energy used fell from £125 (gas and electricity) to £114 leaving me well pleased. If I use the same energy as in the past I will have saved £132 in the year but of course,weather patterns will dictate usage.
    To top this I wrote to Scottish Energy to inquire if I was owed any credit and low and behold they have promised to return £51.79.
    That's what I call progress thanks to MSE.
  • Having been with Scottish Power for 2 years, I had built up a credit of £425. When I switched supplier, I immediately set about trying to reclaim this.
    2 emails, 2 phone calls and 9 weeks later I received a cheque, not helped by the fact that Royal Mail took 11 days to deliver it.
    Compare this with Ovo, who returned an overpayment directly into my bank account within 3 weeks.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Not wanting to be left out! just phoned my old gas and electric supplier = happy with no cash left in the account.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback