Post Office Platinum Credit Card

Options
0% on purchases for 28 months
No fees on purchases overseas
Buy Travel Money easily – no cash fee when you pay with your card in a Post Office branch or online

Will overseas purchase count as 0% purchase for the first 28 months?
Will buying travel money from post office count as 0% purchase for the first 28 months?

Thanks

Comments

• chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Cccard wrote: »
    Will overseas purchase count as 0% purchase for the first 28 months?
    Yes
    Will buying travel money from post office count as 0% purchase for the first 28 months?
    No. And their exchange rates aren't great anyway.

Consider applying for a Halifax Clarity card or Santander Zero card and using these to draw cash on arrival (or from Moneycorp ATMs before leaving if you can find one... they are at Gatwick airport, for example). They will also act as a backup should the Post Office card be declined for some reason.

Always choose to be billed in the foreign currency. Don't allow "conversion" or authorise a GBP amount.
  • Cccard
    Cccard Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

Only getting this card for the 0% and oversea. But thought I can buy the currency and sell it back (for a small loss) and using it like a money transfer for 0% for 28 months.

So what will it go under? Cash advance?
  • chattychappy
    Options
    So what will it go under? Cash advance?

Yes. Their concession is that they don't charge the normal cash advance fee. But you'd still be paying interest from day 1.

Years ago there was a "wheeze" involving sterling travellers cheques. One of the CCs (M&S, I think) treated TCs as a purchase. Normally they were fine with this because the exchange rates were poor, but the loophole was to buy Sterling cheques and then pay them in. Bob's your uncle - you'd effectively have a fee-free BT deal.

No doubt if something like this is still running, some kind soul will enlighten us. But I suspect it's history now.
  • Cccard
    Cccard Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    If it charges interest from day 1, I don't see why anyone would use this CC to buy currency, might as well use DC or cash
  • chattychappy
    Options
    If it charges interest from day 1, I don't see why anyone would use this CC to buy currency, might as well use DC or cash

Because:
    1. Some people are not sensible like you and check beforehand. Hence threads where people got "unexpected" cash advance fees for their "purchase".
    2. Some people aren't in control of their finances... want to have great time and can't afford to pay for it. So live now, pay (more) later.
    3. Some people just don't care about paying unnecessary charges.
    4. Some might pay the amount back a few days later so pay minimal interest.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here's a possible 'wheeze' for fee-free transfer of funds from a credit card, but I can't test it myself right now because I'm at the beach and left my credit card in the city (don't know its number).

Revolut is apparently still accepting top-up by credit card, and is no longer able to charge the 1% fee for doing this. Most or all(?) credit cards treat this as a purchase. It costs nothing to send the funds thus loaded from your Revolut account to your bank account (or elsewhere), or exchange them to foreign currency (up to £5k/month) at the interbank rate (weekdays).

Although this should be fairly simple it's best to make sure you don't make any mistakes, by taking time to learn how the Revolut app works, reading relevant FAQs and fully verifying your account identity. This is because their customer services have been overwhelmed by 200,000 new users jumping on their new cryptocurrency services and getting themselves in a mess, so any problems that need sorting out can take some time.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport