Also being bullied by insurance compainies

Options
When I've been changing insurance, my previous supplier has been demanding proof of alternative insurance. Are they entitled to demand this.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I've been changing insurance, my previous supplier has been demanding proof of alternative insurance. Are they entitled to demand this.
    what does that mean?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also being bullied by insurance compainies

Is there a lot of snow near you or are you the only snowflake? ;)

You haven't given us much to go on. i.e. type of insurance and what they are looking for or the reasons behind the request.

It could be a proof of no claims entitlement (which is shown on the renewal letter from the previous insurer). It could be that you have managed to get yourself dual insured and the provider wants proof of the other. It could be a number of other things but you need to provide more info.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mean that you forgot to cancel the auto renewal of some insurance (car?) and took out a new second policy
    If so it is reasonable for the original insurers to confirm you have an alternative policy if you want them to cancel it and perhaps refund any payments
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give us all the information at once!
  • jAMESKILLBERY
    Options
    Thats roughly the situation. It is not a question of "reasonableness". I've asked them to cancel, and they have told me they are legally obliged to get confirmation of my alternative insurance.
    does anyone know the legislation that provides for this.

(the same company tried the same thing when i was changing my home insurance, so I have my doubts)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Oh for fs sake. Just do it! How pathetic.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    drips and drabs, in this case a drought of information
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2018 at 3:04PM
    Options
    Sounds like a dual insurance and failure to notify on renewing. However, there is still insufficient details to say.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Thats roughly the situation. It is not a question of "reasonableness". I've asked them to cancel, and they have told me they are legally obliged to get confirmation of my alternative insurance.
    does anyone know the legislation that provides for this.

(the same company tried the same thing when i was changing my home insurance, so I have my doubts)

To answer your original question, they're not legally obliged to obtain this but if you want the refund you're better off getting at they aren't legally obliged to repay this without the dual insurance proof!

:money::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport