Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Comments

• johnpr98
    johnpr98 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 January 2018 at 4:33PM
    Due to the lack of communication with Iresa I have searched high and low, maybe just maybe this is a reason for the increase

http://www.iresa.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/
    This means that you should normally have a balance that is above your direct debit amount at all times.

Although I have not been asked for a one-off payment
    The reason we have requested a one-off payment is because you have either built up debt in your account or missed a few payments. In line with the Terms and conditions of your contract (4.6); You agree to pay us by Direct Debit in an agreed fixed amount in advance each month, calculated to cover your supply over the year and to keep your account in credit at all times.

As you are now in debt, we have requested a one of direct debit in line with section 4.2 of the terms and conditions; You must pay your bill by the due date on the bill (or if a due date is not given within 10 working days of the bill date) using the payment method we have agreed with you.

Please note that you agree to pay for your supply in advance. This means that you should normally have a balance that is above your direct debit amount at all times.

I'm still confused but I hadn't noticed this T&C before, nor have I been notified of it now, maybe I will consider decreasing my DD if my credit goes higher than my original DD amount, I won't let them build up a huge amount for sure as I will be in surplus by the contract's end.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    footyguy wrote: »
    Further update.

Iresa have now identified the consumption they didn't bill me for, so have gone in and changed the bills again (deleting, without trace, the erroneous ones ... but I already have a copy downloaded!)

Which means the written statement they provided confirming the balance at 31-Dec was itself wrong (I knew it was, but no one wanted to hear me)

So now I'm back to arguing where my interest is I say they owe me.
    That'll need more revised bills, presumably :rotfl:

At least the bill history page now stacks up. But that will probably have to change again if/when they give me the interest I say they owe, due to the revised bills I expect again.

To cap it all, I also received an email from gocardless.com regarding the next payment to be collected by DD. Seems Iresa have forgotten to tell them what we agreed. :(

Getting there, albeit slowly.

Been on the phone several times with them today. Seems they are concentrating on the phones at present (and trying their best to bat issues away)
    It seems they set up another one-off payment end of the month, rather than correcting the opayment to be collected Monday.

Anyway, positives are that billing is done, subject to interest which is on their 'to do' list
    All my one off payments now cancelled.
    They accepted the amount to be collected on Monday was the wrong amount.

Unfortunately, due to the very slow way things seem to progress at Iresa - they just send people messages, then it takes 3-5 working days for them to action it, etc - they have failed to amend the payment due on Monday.

As I rejected paying more than I should, it seems the matter was taken to Mr OA himself (allegedly), and he admits the only way now to recover the situation is for me to invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee at my bank, and get the money back that way.

But when I said that is what I would do then, the phone jockey tried to get all legal on me and say I would be in breach of contract. :cool:

I'll look forward to that battle ... if they are silly enough to try that..

Roll on Monday. Hopefully the Big Switch 9 will come up trumps :)
  • I've had no problems with IRESA until I tried to switch a fortnight ago. They objected to my switch as I owe them less than £3 after a recent meter reading. I've asked them to take a one off payment but they will "look into whether they can do that"...

Instead they have increased my DD. I'm going to try to switch again next week through MSE and we'll see what happens!

My advice for anyone considering joining IRESA would be to avoid them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 January 2018 at 11:00AM
    clare155 wrote: »
    I've had no problems with IRESA until I tried to switch a fortnight ago. They objected to my switch as I owe them less than £3 after a recent meter reading. I've asked them to take a one off payment but they will "look into whether they can do that"...

Instead they have increased my DD. I'm going to try to switch again next week through MSE and we'll see what happens!

They shouldn't be blocking switches for a debt of £3. Make a complaint in writing and copy it to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk

From Ofgem's website (dated Jul 16):

Quote: As part of the existing switching process, suppliers may only object to a customer switching supplier in limited circumstances. By far the most common ground for objection in the domestic market is that the customer is in debt. These ‘debt objections’ may occur only where a supplier has notified the customer in writing about an outstanding charge on the account and the charge has then remained unpaid for at least 28 days by the time of the attempted switch.1 Suppliers may also object to erroneous switches or at the customer’s request where the customer has not entered into a contract with the new supplier, or - in the case of electricity - where Related Meter Points are not being transferred together. Unquote

I suggest that you make reference to the above in your written complaint. Iresa may be acting in breach of Ofgem regulations.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 January 2018 at 1:06PM
    I've had no problems with IRESA until I tried to switch a fortnight ago. They objected to my switch as I owe them less than £3 after a recent meter reading. I've asked them to take a one off payment but they will "look into whether they can do that"...

I'm very surprised that Iresa are allowing your account to be in debit. Everyone else (including me) who has found their account in debit (even because of a billing error by Iresa) seem to have been hit with a one-off payment request ... as the numerous posts above demonstrate.

See also this thread, especially post#5
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774752

Energy suppliers are permitted to block a request to switch away from them if you are in debt to them (which is not the same as an account beinging in debit)

A debt is only a debt 28 days after it has been formally demanded.
    i.e. you need to have been sent a bill (not a statement) that requests the amount, and you fail to pay that within 28 days.

Call Iresa on Monday, demand the block is removed, and then ask the new supplier to re-submit the request.

Edit: or better still, check out the Big Switch 9 tariff on Monday and see if they can offer a lower price than Iresa. ... That's what I'm waiting for :)

Good luck!
    (I can see it's only your 2nd post under this user account after a 10 year abstinence. So frustrating indeed)
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I suggest that you cancel your direct debit so that IRESA cannot take any more money from you.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I suggest that you cancel your direct debit so that IRESA cannot take any more money from you.

I suggest people do NOT follow this advice in the circumstances described. :)

Good luck!
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 January 2018 at 7:56PM

Good luck!

What's with the duff advice & smiley face? I know that you are an apologist for IRESA but your comment is not humorous.

clare155 has tried to switch & IRESA responded not only by obstructing the switch but by increasing the Direct Debit. To prevent any more money being taken while the switch happens if the Direct Debit isn't available they will just produce a final bill which can be paid. IRESA should have allowed the switch when requested. That in itself is cause for complaint.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Good luck!

Are you or anyone you know connected with Iresa in any way? You do appear to be sticking up for them rather a lot whenever they are criticised.
  • Responding to Footyguy's link to Clause 4,6 in Iresa's T&Cs

I acknowledge Clause 4.6 but as stated in my original post I've on a Fixed DD so I don't see that it applies to me. Clause 2.11 states
    "If you are on a fixed term tariff we will only change the terms prior to the end of the fixed term tariff if the change is not to your disadvantage, the information you have given us is incomplete or incorrect, we have to install a prepayment meter, or there is an increase in VAT payable."

None of the exclusions of 2.11 apply to me. (and I'm in credit)

The price increase Iresa notiofied me of late last year seems to be the cash grab so many are complaining about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure