Council tax single person discount when uni based kids come home in holidays

If I live alone with kids at uni who come home in the holidays can I still claim the discount?

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 9:06AM
    Aleeivel wrote: »
    If I live alone with kids at uni who come home in the holidays can I still claim the discount?
    yes

if they are merely on holiday and will be going back to university after the end of the holiday, they are still "students" and so class as council tax "disregards", ie they do not count towards the number of people living with you!
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    You might need to prove they are students, as their family home is classed as their main one, but students are exempt as long as they are on full time courses
    Zebras rock
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My council insisted my son got a letter from the University confirming when the course started and when it ended. Started billing the full monty the July of the year he completed his course in June.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Larac wrote: »
    My council insisted my son got a letter from the University confirming when the course started and when it ended. Started billing the full monty the July of the year he completed his course in June.
    as they were no longer a student.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kathrynha wrote: »
    You might need to prove they are students, as their family home is classed as their main one, but students are exempt as long as they are on full time courses

Is it? I would say it depends.

I registered to vote at my uni address. Registered for council tax there and considered if my main residence. Stayed there most holidays too.
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    as they were no longer a student.

That may be the case - but he did not have a job either, so family finances take a hit and you need to budget for it!
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Is it? I would say it depends.

I registered to vote at my uni address. Registered for council tax there and considered if my main residence. Stayed there most holidays too.
    technically, the term time address is considered to be the main home in respect of students meeting the council tax definition of student
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure