Redundancy payment not received

I have recently been made redundant via a settlement agreement and was due to receive my settlement by "close of business 12th January 2018"

No payment has been received

I have spoken with my former employer only to be fobbed of with excuses, not receiving an actual answer as to when I can expect to receive the monies

I know that the company has financial difficulties so am not entirely surprised by this, where do I go from here ?

Surely this is a breach of contract ?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes it is.

But your recourse, as always, is the courts
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Could you define "fobbed off" - it isn't the most informative of descriptions! What was said?
  • I was told that the money would be in my account by close of the business day - which he says was 6pm, despite the fact that I have work 8.30am - 5pm for 24 years

Regardless, it didn't materialise

He says that the agreement states that they would not make payment until I have handed over keys, phone etc - It does not say that at all. It says that we are to meet at a mutually convenient time to hand over possessions - I was at the office at the time with the intent of doing this but he didn't show up

That's what I mean by fobbed off
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I was told that the money would be in my account by close of the business day - which he says was 6pm, despite the fact that I have work 8.30am - 5pm for 24 years

Regardless, it didn't materialise

He says that the agreement states that they would not make payment until I have handed over keys, phone etc - It does not say that at all. It says that we are to meet at a mutually convenient time to hand over possessions - I was at the office at the time with the intent of doing this but he didn't show up

That's what I mean by fobbed off

Well in the first place, if it was paid late on Friday it probably wouldn't clear into your account until Monday. The hours you worked are irrelevant to when it is paid.

As for the work possessions, that seems simple. You have these things? Go and hand them over, or make arrangements to do so. It would take got at least 21/ 28 days to get to a point of being able to take legal action, so there is no benefit to hanging on to things that yippy do not need, and gives the employer an excuse not to pay you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure