Nearly there!

Options
January20
January20 Posts: 3,769 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 21 October 2011 at 8:19PM in Debt free diaries
I have been a regular poster on this forum for a long time now. In 2006, I saw Martin Lewis on television, discovered this website, had my LBM and -perhaps most importantly - realised I could take control of my finances and get out of debt.

At the time of my LBM in August 2006, the total amount of debt I had was £12568.49.

From the onset, I was very private ([STRIKE]ashamed[/STRIKE]) about my debt, so I've had to be creative with excuses not to do certain things, had to bite my tongue when I heard some comments (one of my friends still thinks bankrupts should be jailed!) and also decided I couldn't just chuck every spare penny at my debt, one of the reasons being that I was and still am a single mum and my dd didn't deserve to miss out on the occasional take-away or cinema outings. Anyway, children grow up so fast!

Today, my debt stands at £1966.69. Why I feel the need to start a diary now? I'm not sure. Perhaps just to make it all "official" so I can really enjoy being debt free? Perhaps because it's the final push and I want to clear this last cc as soon as possible and this will help me with my willpower?

And when I look at the length of this initial post, perhaps it's just because I'm talkative and I couldn't contain myself anymore :rotfl:
LBM: August 2006 £12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
"The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints

Comments

• January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm impatiently until I can make another payment!

Normally, I would pay £200 a month, but lately my hours have been cut at work and although I still receive enough of a salary to live on, things are tighter with the cost of petrol and food increasing, and as my dd is taking a year before going to university, my council is going up too, so I've set my direct debit to the minimum repayment and then I "top up" throughout the month.

I have a little second job and in the past I would use the money from it for treats, but at the monent most of it goes on extra payments. And my dd is starting a full time job at the end of the month and will start paying board. I felt very mercenary when we were discussing it (I could discuss it with her because she is very sensible) but we've agreed an amount so that I am not out of pocket and she still has plenty left to have fun and put some away for next year.
  • Beencounting
    Options
    Well done January, you've done exceptionally well :)

Good luck with this final push!

Been
    Full LBM 26 Sept 11
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 October 2011 at 1:58PM
    Options
    Thank you Been! You haven't done badly yourself, have you? :)

Seeing you have not posted your total debts makes me realise I'm not the only one unable to [STRIKE]confess[/STRIKE] ;) share. It's hard isn't it? Even to a forum full of strangers!
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I did a couple of sessions on my second job yesterday and today and although I won't be paid for yesterday until the end of the month, I'm paying another £20 of my CC today so that's a balance of £1946.69. I was always a bit dubious of those small regular payments but I'm starting to realise how rewarding - and useful in reducing a balance - they are :)

Initially, my big aim was to get under 2K but now it's to get under £1900!

... for the time being anyway ;)
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself for what you have achieved so far :j

I do not know you but I know that you will have this cc cleared very soon because you are such a determined person. Well done :beer:
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    :T well done on everything you've achieved so far and good luck with the final push :) I wish I were as near my dfd ;)!

dfw
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF- £205.75/300 ~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £133.59 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 October 2011 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Thank you Debtfreewannabee321! You will get there! I promise you there were times where I despaired, where it felt like some higher power was against me, and now I'm so close to my debt free day (I haven't set a date) that it's scary in case something awful happens to stop me! Positive thinking, positive thinking... :D

ETA: Thank you kelpie, just noticed your post! Funnily enough, I don't feel proud but relieved that the bulk of it is gone and - you are right - determined. And because of my experience, I have so much admiration for the people who tackle much larger debts than mine!

I need a plan for when I'm debt free too. Will go thinking! I am not too worried about those days yet because I have learned so much reading these forums. One thing is sure, I will add a signature to my profile and I will remain on here, chatting to people! And helping if I can ever do that :)
  • mary81
    mary81 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Hi January, well done on everything so far, and good luck for the rest too. I've only recently had my LBM, and have started a diary too, i waffle away on mine about nothing most of the time, its a good place to do it! Bet you have loads of words of wisdom now too.
    Bacrlaycard
    sept 2011 [STRIKE]£4630[/STRIKE] Oct 2011 £4030
  • Itsadogslife_2
    Options
    Hi January 20,

I was the same as you and used to come on this forum a lot under a separate user name, this happened to be a username that I use on a number of different other sites and logins and as I had recommended MSE to so many people I was too ashamed to say how much I had. But in the end, I thought if it is out there loud and proud (well not proud in the slightest, you know what I mean), but I thought it may focus me better so I opened a new account and started again. This time, I feel so much more dedicated to the cause, maybe before was only my flicker of a LBM rather than the proper one. People could still work out who I was if I was unlucky enough for a family member to join and then read through every post in my diary, but the likelihood of that happening is remote.

As it is, I find that because I feel invisible, I am very open and honest about things - which I feel unable to talk to people about in the real world. Its the best form of counselling on here :o
    Just keep swimming!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,282 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Keep plodding!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure