PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• Chickenopolis
    Chickenopolis Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Good evening all !

Frith :Dwhat can I say ? what a difference a week makes :T

ampersand - loved the robin

6 for today

1. Day off - slept in:D

2. OH ordered my repeat prescription on line , saves a few stamps and time .

3. Went into town had a chat with an advisor at the Spanish Bank - appalling interest rates on online saver . Poor bloke faced with me "I dont want a credit card.... I don't want to pay an account fee..I don't have a mortgage so don't even think about trying to flog me one !"...May shift the lot somewhere else ...

4.OH had a great idea for a venue for my brother's 50th in June .He is likely to get a good deal as his club meet there very week.Will run this by SIL , but it is all planned in my head now !! Even better it doesn't have that loo block freshener smell or Izal paper loo roll.

5.Veg. Spring roll and chips from chippy for lunch :D

6. Made the most of 3 for 2's in B**ts , got a jumper in Primarni (please don't let it make me scratch my skin off !! )and a voucher for my sister from her hairdressers for her birthday.

Have a lovely weekend all !
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • mhagster wrote: »
    I also want to say, my OH was diagnosed 6 months ago today.....and he's still here! Thank you for all your kind comments , support and general loveliness.

mhags.. must be the best pleasure of all time x
    Frith wrote: »
    Oh, forgot to say... :-( Smaller son wanted a quick go on the pogo stick this morning but the patio was slippery with rain and it "swished" out from under him and he landed on his elbow. Was talking to his Mrs T about it on the phone and she said she fell off once and the top of her pogo stick slammed her in her teeth! Arrrrghgh!!

Frith what a lovely lot of pleasures and eek !! pogo sticks are blooming dangerours :eek: hope yr smaller DS is ok and great news about the school trip :T

Struggling for pleasures today as not feeling well.Was ok until I got out of bed and started with a very sharp stabbing pain in my upper back/shoulder blade which I thought was (yet again) a trapped nerve. Took lots of pain killers but had to come home from work at lunch time. Took nsaids and slept for an hour but when got up again it has steadily got worse and is different to normal back pain I get. Have been on nhsdirect and symptoms match pluerisy :eek: Treatment is nsaids so will continue with ibuprofen for a few days and if no better will make appointment for GP.

1. sunny morning
    2. finished work early
    3. nice sleep (even if was induced by co-codamol and ibuprofen !)
    4. took DS to GP and he has had his jabs HepA and Tyhoid so all ready for SAfrica now
    5. dropped DS off to go meet his new girlfriend ;) met her and she seems nice.

Glad its friday - am supposed to go have my flu jab in morning but not sure they will let me if I am ill, will have to phone them first thing in morning . Have a good weekend everyone
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Evening all.

I forgot to say yesterday - thanks very much for all the positive comments about my possible future masters' - it's lovely to know that so many well-educated and well-informed people think it's a good idea. :)

Frith - it's so good to hear that your DS is able to join a school trip again. I hope you both have a great time.

ampersand - thanks for all the info / pictures about Bury St Edmunds - that's another one on my ever-increasing list of places I'd like to visit.

Tealady - I never thought I'd say it, but I rather miss seeing parakeets - they're such noisy, messy birds, but down here the only place you see them is in the aviary in the local park, and it's not quite the same somehow.

mhags - it's lovely to hear how your OH seems to be getting better - long may he continue to do so.

1) Made some tentative plans to turn a day trip to Reading for an OU event next spring into a weekend away, as it would allow me to tie it in with a visit to Silchester, which I've always wanted to see (if you haven't heard of it, it's a famous Roman site - well, famous to those with an interest in Roman history, anyway! ;)). I'm not sure it will be particularly money saving as the cost of the hotel room would cancel out the saving on the train fare, but it would be one more to cross off my list.

2) A colleague made the most delicious carrot cake to celebrate the birthday of another colleague. It was very different to the carrot cake I make - dense and moist where mine is light and fluffy - which led to a subsidiary pleasure of a discussion of different carrot cake recipes. :) We're both keen bakers, so such discussions can go on for a while!

3) Reverbed 5p.

4) Finally made a start on my OU course, although I gave up after less than an hour when I realised the words were moving in front of my eyes but weren't reaching my brain. :o I'll try again tomorrow when I feel less sleepy, although I suspect the first half hour will be re-reading what I've covered this evening. :o

5) Decided to treat myself to a very naughty takeaway pizza for dinner tonight. I've got a £5 off voucher which makes it fractionally less un-OS than it would otherwise be... :o

Have a good evening, all.

ETA - skint - I really hope it's nothing serious and you feel much better by tomorrow morning.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,154 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    CCP - do I count in that I ended up with a Post Graduate Diploma rather than an MA? (The small matter of being 39 weeks pregnant when I finished the course and work not letting me have enough time off to get all the necessary credits!)
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Frith wrote: »
    CCP - do I count in that I ended up with a Post Graduate Diploma rather than an MA? (The small matter of being 39 weeks pregnant when I finished the course and work not letting me have enough time off to get all the necessary credits!)

That definitely counts in my book! Maybe you could go back to it one day and top up to an MA?
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    So frith Ma rather than MA (groan) but yes ccp's right never too late to convert. Meantime enjoy the school trip :D
    mchagster here's to the next 6 months
    ampersands are you going to bury st edmunds? Didnt know he died (more groans)
    pk hope the spondulits turned up ok
    sonny hugs to jenny
    1) had a lie in :T as worked late every night this week and 1st meeting today not till 10
    2) lunch with mum. She's just getting over a nasty code in der dose
    3) lovely coffee made by lovely phd stoodent
    4) pizza for tea. L!dl with added grated cheese :money:
    5) finished watching the montalbanos. Like someone sed nuffink like i imagined but of course now next book i read that'll be my picture of him
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Ooooh a DD Jenny as gun a. Quavor! :heartpuls

Not onlys that, but tinks DD as rit All Sunny speck as will.
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,564 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    1. Will 9 jars of pepper jelly set? Looking dodgy atm, dkw. Preserving pan cleaned and shining.
    2. Will equine painter MTS/MST/TMS/TSM/STM/SMT[close examination still doesn't allow me to be sure of order] prove his worth if I can tie a name to him? Clearly not so well-known that his name leaps from mainstream sources. Keep digging away. I rather suspect forensic activity of any kind is my truc manqu!. Well, I've just dated an old sheet of newspaper varnished on the back to 1893, as it announces the appt of George Stuart White as Commander-in-Chief, India. I see 'Mrs Langtry' too, but at what point the paper was applied, I cannot say, besides which it's a well-known faker's trick to marry in such 'evidence' of provenance. Ditto the framer's well-worn Bond Street label for Biggs & Sons, Lacquerers and Gilders, Picture Restorers, 31 Conduit Street, Bond Street, LONDON and some other lines I can't decipher yet. More work needed. Hmmm...some NPG refs. and debt proceedings. But I am in no doubt it does have a fair bit of age.
    3. Think it was moi, DD, re: Montalbano. Does the music not worm into you in the same way?
    4. Frith, would you like an Archaeology for Children book I have? I'll post it on if it's not coals to Newcastle. We haven't heard anything of you playing the piano lately. Time for a Prelude, in spirit of New. Liking idea of you and CCP maîtrise-ing in your respective fields.
    5. Australia annihilated[always jolly news for a kiwi] by Windies. Sri Lanka vs Windies final, donc, BUT England vs Oz in Ladies' Final offers chance for home retribution by fairer sex.
    6. Strange play on The Wireless. Will now prepare hottie and watch another Phillip Mould, read, tea.
    7. It's raining...on some 50p specials from Nursery sale en route back, including carraway, which I've never grown before. 2 bundles of wallflowers, 4 more thymes-all different, balm, an unidentified. Total: £4.
    8. A pineapple for 50p, 2 litres organic whole milk 10p, in freezer now.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Message to chief MSE. Get us a uggggggs button!

:grouphug:

Quick 5 for today as I am dozing off and have to be up for more work tomorrow

1. Went to work conference - was informative
    2. Networking was alright - I hate it but didn't stand around too much like a numpty with no mates
    3. Nice lunch - chicken curry followed by Tiramisu. Conference was free and didn't expect such a nice lunch
    4. DD has finished a week with no tears, tantrums or freaking out.
    5. Nice tea - chicken left over from sunday made into a pie by adding some veg and a tin of condensed mushroom soup. Just for chicken I wrote Yummy Pie on top in pastry letters.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Been awol for a couple of days as I needed finish many small things, most now done and the rest to be completed over the weekend. Not read all the posts but will catch up tomorrow
    1. Purchased 3 pairs of lemon curtains on eb@y for the lounge and front/porch doors, all same seller, all 'make an offer' which I did, cheekily, and was accepted.
    2. Till spit from Mr S, 8p off a litre of petrol. Am running on fumes so will take full advantage and fill to the brim tomorrow
    3. Conscience, a good or bad thing? Bought a Winter outfit, got it home and wondered why when I have enough warm clothes and the cash could buy new curtain poles. Returned it today and ordered the poles for less. Sensible can be so tedious at times...
    4. Had a clear out to give several items to DD for her car boot tomorrow. Makes the house and my head a lot less cluttered
    5. Discovered a small auction room nearby so I'll catalogue my boxes of Indian Tree over the Winter months then take them for valuation. Been collecting for years so there's rather a lot! It's still popular in America, not so much here anymore but it'll be out of my way and maybe buy something more modern.

Hope the poorlies get well now, and the wells stay well :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure