Halifax to relaunch regular saver @10%+

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    MORPH3US wrote: »
    2. I noticed that the RS webpage says "you can make additional deposits by standing order too, as long as the total each month doesn’t exceed £500".... so basically on top of my £100 per month regular transfer, I can also put up to £400 a month in the account also to top it up, but it doesn't have to be every month that I top up by the same ammount??
    Correct, you can vary from month to month.

Just a note to say that the T&C's for the account are at odds with the website. The T&C's state that for the RS, exactly one deposit (of any amount between £25 and £500, amounts can differ from month to month) must be made between the 1st and 28th is permitted.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is a drop down menu to the right of the amount in the websaver a/c, so you can close it from there, Debbie.

Or you just click the Websaver open ... and all those options are listed on the left hand side. But don't close it ... if it's been listed as the 'nominated' account for the new RS!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :confused: what's the verdict on the 5k to get 12%?

i thought someone had calculated in wasn't worthwhile but then i saw a more recent post suggesting it is???
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CYPER - Going back to your original question, do you mean you have £5K and you want to save it or that you need to end up with £5K at the end of a year?

It sounds as though the Halifax answer was for someone who wanted to end up with £5K.

If you have £5K right now, you could put it into an account paying a good rate and then pay it into the Halifax regular saver over time. In total you would have more interest because the capital (your original £5K) would be earning interest in both accounts through the year.

First thank you for your time. I really appreciate people that help :T

I have 5K already saved, so yes I have them right now. I have HSBC Online saver which gives me 5.35% AER, 5.22% gross variable. So what you are saying is that I should put them there and make a standing order to Halifax Regular Saver account? But I am not sure if you can have standing order with a saver account. In my online banking it only gives me options for standing orders in my current account.

Any ideas?
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    CYPER wrote: »
    First thank you for your time. I really appreciate people that help :T

I have 5K already saved, so yes I have them right now. I have HSBC Online saver which gives me 5.35% AER, 5.22% gross variable. So what you are saying is that I should put them there and make a standing order to Halifax Regular Saver account? But I am not sure if you can have standing order with a saver account. In my online banking it only gives me options for standing orders in my current account.

Any ideas?
    I think you can improve on the 5.35%.
    You can either manually shift monthly amount ( Ie £500 for as long as you can) from a 6.5% paying account to your current account and then on to the RS or as someone else mentioned, go for a 6.25% account ( Tesco?) that allows a direct feed to the RS.
  • sloughflint
    The £1K per month doesn't have to be 'new money'. You can meet the funding requirements by internal transfers, so parallel monthly SO's from a pair of HICA's would suffice.

Good point. I wonder if the nice chappy mentioned this neat little trick, otherwise cmac's mum would have got stung with fees.
    And it only accounted for £5k out of the £6k so for a short period of time, the surplus would have been earning 0.1%.
  • sloughflint
    cmac, I don't know if you are still following this thread but I've had a thought about the A&L account with the £2.5k in it. Interest will accrue monthly taking it over the £2.5k mark.
    I'll amend post 554 with an option for getting around this issue.
    Here's the single post:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11819027&postcount=554

DON'T FORGET THE R85 FORMS.
  • sloughflint
    carpy wrote: »
    :confused: what's the verdict on the 5k to get 12%?

i thought someone had calculated in wasn't worthwhile but then i saw a more recent post suggesting it is???
    If you've got a spare £5k that you won't touch, plonk it in the Guaranteed saver reward @6.25% and you'll get 12% on the RS.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good point. I wonder if the nice chappy mentioned this neat little trick, otherwise cmac's mum would have got stung with fees.
    No fees involved (it's not like A&L's "must pay in £500 or we make an underfunding charge").

You simply lose the 5.12% AER rate, and fall back to 0.1% AER until you've funded it with at least £1K per month for 3 consecutive months (from memory!).
  • sloughflint
    You simply lose the 5.12% AER rate, and fall back to 0.1% AER until you've funded it with at least £1K per month for 3 consecutive months (from memory!).
    Still not brilliant then.
    But I suppose they are desperate to get their customers to keep all their money with the Halifax.
    Good job there is this forum,eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport