Gas Meter Replacement

Babycakes
Babycakes Posts: 239
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Does a gas supplier have to change your gas meter every few years to ensure that it is accurate?

If so, does anyone know how frequently this needs to be done?

I have an old gas meter that reads in cubic feet and I would prefer one that reads in cubic metres (i find it easier to understand!!) but my supplier says that they only replace meters if they are faulty.

Strangely enough, my electricity meter was replaced routinely by my previous supplier as a replacement was due.

Comments

• mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Babycakes wrote: »
    Does a gas supplier have to change your gas meter every few years to ensure that it is accurate?

If so, does anyone know how frequently this needs to be done?

I have an old gas meter that reads in cubic feet and I would prefer one that reads in cubic metres (i find it easier to understand!!) but my supplier says that they only replace meters if they are faulty.

Strangely enough, my electricity meter was replaced routinely by my previous supplier as a replacement was due.

AFAIK the acceptable tolerance of gas meters is + or - 2%

Electricity meters are only certified for a certain ammount of time, I think the early digital type were only certified for 10 years use - not sure about later types but the old mechanical type were certified for longer IIRC

Also you could bet your bottom dollar that a change from cubic feet to cubic metres gas meter would !!!! the billing up (is quite a common theme on this board - people having their gas calculated on the wrong units.

Why is it easier to understand a cubic metre reading - they all have to be multipled by calorific values and correction factors anyway to get Kwh?

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    If gas meters go wrong it is most likely to be in your favour. They consist of a vane that is turned by the gas flow; there is very little chance that they can 'speed up'.

All you need to understand is that a gas unit on the old Imperial meter(1 unit = 100 cubic feet) is approx 31kWh - you can get an accurate figure from the formula on your bill when you know the exact calorific value.

On a Metric meter(1 unit = 1 cubic metre) a unit is approx 11kWh.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My house is about 17 years old and I have lived here since it was new.

I had a replacement gas meter fitted a couple of months ago. I asked the guy who fitted it how often they are changed and he said about every 15-20 years. I asked if he was changing the meters in the whole street, but said no, only mine. :confused: He didn't really know how the gas suppliers chose whose and when to replace meters; he said it seemed quite random.

Anyway, there was I expecting him to replace my meter with a nice new, compact, digital, metric meter ... but he pulled out an old, refurbished box which measures in cubic feet. :(

So even if you were to request and pay for a new meter, there's no guarantee what style it will be or whether it is metric or imperial.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Premier wrote: »

Anyway, there was I expecting him to replace my meter with a nice new, compact, digital, metric meter ... but he pulled out an old, refurbished box which measures in cubic feet. :(

So even if you were to request and pay for a new meter, there's no guarantee what style it will be or whether it is metric or imperial.

That surely must have been a mistake to put in an Imperial meter.

Tecnically it is illegal to measure anything in Imperial measurements these days. An exemption was made for Imperial Gas meters because of the huge cost involved but Transco have a remit to change all Imperial meters with Mrtric meters.

Ofgem has been involved in these discussions with both the DTI and
    NGT. Ofgem has, in these discussions, set out our view that it would not be in
    the interests of consumers to force a change in the type of meter used to register their use of gas from imperial to metric when the meters are capable of continuing to accurately measure the quantity of gas consumed.

Ofgem considers the costs to consumers of doing so would likely be extremely large (potentially in excess of £1billion) and it would be better to maintain the current ‘glide path’ for replacement of meters from imperial to metric when those meters reach the end of their useful life.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    "it would be better to maintain the current ‘glide path’ for replacement of meters from imperial to metric when those meters reach the end of their useful life."

It may be, that they can say with a straight face, that if they can be refurbished at a reasonable cost then they have not "reached the end of their useful life" !

I had a new metric meter fitted a couple of months ago - about six weeks after they changed the pressure regulator on the old imperial one !

• Babycakes
    Babycakes Posts: 239
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Are modern gas meters digital just like modern electricity meters? Are they smaller? Or the best option - are they fitting new smart meters to help understand how you consume energy?
  • I'd like to get my 16 year old gas meter changed to a modern one.
    I asked BG about this, stating that I was prepared to pay a call-out charge, as I did when I got a new electricity meter (only 9 years old).
    They ("customer service") said that they only change meters when *they*deem it necessary. My only recourse is to pay £120 for having it tested after which they will decide if they think it needs changing.

Anyone have any idea how to break this logjam?

BTW. I considered a switch to firstutility who do install new meters. the 20% price difference and 24 month contract put me off.
  • I can't help I'm afraid but I just don't understand these people.
    We lived in a new build and had the meter changed along with 50 or so more new builds not even six months after we moved in even though the meters had hardly anything on them.
    We've only been here 3 years and had the meter changed already and that was only not quite three years old.
    You just can't understand their logic.
    Hope you get sorted.
    By the way.I did'nt think they could charge you for callout for replacing a meter.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've had letters on and off over the last couple of years about changing the gas meter. Problem is they send you a letter giving you less than a week's notice for the date they will be coming and no indication of time not even AM or PM. But you can ring up and request a date change, which I have always done. I can't just willy nilly take a day off work with less than a week's notice. And every single time I have done this they have written again closer to the date to cancel it.

It is now being done by Eon rather than gas meter services and I've been contacted about my electric meter too - at least now asking me to contact them to give them a convenient date. Perhaps one day soon I will have a new meter eh?
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    I'd like to get my 16 year old gas meter changed to a modern one.
    I asked BG about this, stating that I was prepared to pay a call-out charge, as I did when I got a new electricity meter (only 9 years old).
    They ("customer service") said that they only change meters when *they*deem it necessary. My only recourse is to pay £120 for having it tested after which they will decide if they think it needs changing.

Anyone have any idea how to break this logjam?

BTW. I considered a switch to firstutility who do install new meters. the 20% price difference and 24 month contract put me off.
    What makes you think it's faulty?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport