The long haul supporters thread...

Comments

• tlc123_2
    tlc123_2 Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    Mumto2Ms- I have no idea how to be strict on the food budget in december - the willpower for me goes straight out the window as soon as i hit tesco as its so xmasy!!

I put my tree up lastinght, but annoylingly can't find the tree lights, so may have to invest in some new ones.

On the plus side though, I thought my car needed a cambelt for its 90,000 service this month - I've just been told the car's been built not to need one til 160,000 £400 saved how exciting!!

Hope everyone's getting in the festive spirit and enjoying their weekend xx
    Long Haul Supporter #203
    :beer:
  • tlc123: you're not kidding. I've since been to Tesco again with a new budget and a clean slate. I'm not going to go into details about what happened. Let's just say chocolates and leave it at that. I've now got about £25 left of new budget for next two weeks' shopping... :o It's not going well. I might do online to avoid temptation. At least all the presents are finally bought. It's just down to damage limitation with the food shopping and the nights out now. But, at the end of the day, it's Christmas :j :santa2:
  • Anyone want to join me in trying to use up existing food pre Christmas? I know its hard - spent 25 on a meal out this eve - but we can do it. Re mr t's I know its dull but can you go in with a list? I find it helps, as does trying a basic menu plan - dont usually manage it but good to at least TRY to be good...like everyone I cant resist anything except temptation so solution is just try not to go unless I have to. Its working as managed to save decent ammount for emergency fund - athough this months not done well but thats due to dentist, house repairs, christmas and haircut. Will catch up next month and can honestly say it feels great not to have gone ott with Christmas...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• TEK_2
    TEK_2 Posts: 112 Forumite
    We still have around a week's worth of food in the freezer so won't need to do a big shop just yet. On the money side though we are struggling, had to throw £200 of money that I had saved for brother's wedding abroad next year into our OD, to stop us going overdrawn. My own fault, as I turned down overtime last week. Done a little overtime last week which should make us an extra £20 & hopefully next week will be able to work my day off so that's an extra £60. Mint sent me a letter yesterday reducing CC limit. Could have done without that to be honest but at least we'll have to be extra careful what we spend now, as we have less than £200 left on card. Can't use any other cards either as we destroyed the pin numbers! Good luck all!!Back soon!!
    DEBT AT LBM(1/7/07)-£35,052.19 DEBT (31/08/10) Average amount paid off P.M. £67.96 Paid off so far £2582.68(7.3%) Target to pay off in 2010 £2,340.14/£3,600 LH Supporter(165) DFD September 2110:eek:
  • Just done an online shop - have to as it stops me overspending too much. My aim is to get the weekly shop to last at least one extra day. I have been good recently and the cupboards, fridge and freezer very low so we have been having a few mix and match meals :).

Downside is Im overspending elsewhere - went to asda MK for the first time yesterday which thanfully is 50 miles away and spent £62 :eek: and only half was for xmas ooops.

Feeling fed up at the moment with family so comfort spending.
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • oh dear lt...what we gonna do with you eh! Can you dind a cheap hobby to do - sommat for you that doesent cost a bomb in money or time plus you get that sence of achievement...Part of long term "recovery" is tackling those everyday blues in another way than spending...cooking, sleeping and crafting do it for me!! Just made a batch of chutney whch at £4 isnt bad for all those teeny token jesture pressies!! Before it would have been 40 for them alone!! who needs bogof!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,719 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2009 at 9:05AM
    Another 12 months of debt busting has gone by. I was aiming for 15k to be knocked off the debt and nearly made it. We were hampered by the car needing loads of expensive things doing to it last week, which had to be put back onto a credit card which had just been cleared.

Have got a few ideas where things can be changed, but I won't bore you with those as I have listed them on my thread. Suffice to say it looks like I'll be here a while longer yet.

Debt at the start £62775.83
    Debt Dec 08 £400652.36
    Debt Dec 09 £32344.84
    Leaving £30430.99 to be repaid.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • TEK_2
    TEK_2 Posts: 112 Forumite
    That is excellent Lucielle,clearing all that you have done in a year. We've had a couple of tough weeks to be honest but refrained from using CC to do Xmas shopping. Been feeling a bit down about things to be honest but at least OH & I haven't fallen out about the finances like we used to! Keep chipping away & good luck to you & all the other long haulers!!
    DEBT AT LBM(1/7/07)-£35,052.19 DEBT (31/08/10) Average amount paid off P.M. £67.96 Paid off so far £2582.68(7.3%) Target to pay off in 2010 £2,340.14/£3,600 LH Supporter(165) DFD September 2110:eek:
  • Wow Lucielle, that's great work!! you should be really proud of what you have achieved.

I'm hoping 2010 is going to be my year where I get under £15k (or around that!) but it is going to take some hard work.
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • Congratulations Lucielle. It's great to see people who are managing to make a difference to what they owe.

We're still in very early days - lightbulb was late August this year. December is proving to be a really tricky month, even though I haven't had much to buy. I seem to have wasted money on things and feel quite cross with myself, although I haven't touched the cards.

It's hard work!

Hope everyone is having more success than me at the moment!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure