Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??

Comments

• Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    I've been having a quick read through these posts and got the impression some people think the new concession covers England only but it is the whole of the UK Please see below from the DOT website:
    Concessionary bus fares
    [URL="javascript:window.print()"]Print[/URL] bulletPrint.gif</IMG> Download PDF bulletPDF.gif</IMG>

Concessionary fares schemes offer discounted travel on local public transport for older and disabled people. The Government wants to ensure that bus travel, in particular, remains within the means of those on limited incomes and those who have mobility difficulties. This supports our wider work to tackle social exclusion. Bus travel remains the most used form of public transport, especially by older people.
    The Transport Secretary announced on 22 March 2006 that from April 2008 the local entitlement for free bus travel will be extended to allow bus travel in every area of the country. It will mean that whether using the bus locally, or when visiting other parts of the country, older and disabled people will be able to travel for free. Follow the link for the press notice of the announcement.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Details

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/buses/concessionary/answerstofaq/answerstocbtfaq?page=1#a1002

It looks like every bus pass holder will be issued with a new card before April which will be usable on local bus services anywhere. Only applies to England though.

It doesn't apply to "intercity" type services.But say you have free bus transport in Wiltshire, or Yorkshire. If you go up to London on the train ( using your one third off senior railcard no doubt!) , you would then have free transport on London buses as well.You can also go across county borders on local type bus services (I can already do that now for free to adjoining counties in my area).

Useful freebie IMHO, especially in London where bus fares now cost a bomb if you don't have an Oyster card. :(
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    I bless the day the London 'freedom pass' came into existence - not only do we get free bus travel but also free tube fares and British Rail within the London zones (out to Richmond and Hampton Court). The tube and bus are free from 9am but the BR is from 9.30am. Fantastic.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    All a prelude to cut down on older people using their own cars...save the planet, save a few accidents, save some money.
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    EdInvestor wrote: »
    Details

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/buses/concessionary/answerstofaq/answerstocbtfaq?page=1#a1002

It looks like every bus pass holder will be issued with a new card before April which will be usable on local bus services anywhere. Only applies to England though.

:(

Hello Ed, Hope your are well. Don't you think this is confusing when you read the extract I have quoted from the DOT site above?. Do you think that "all of the country" does not mean England, Scotland and Wales. If so, one would have thought they would make it clearer.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Jake'sGran wrote: »
    Hello Ed, Hope your are well. Don't you think this is confusing when you read the extract I have quoted from the DOT site above?.

Greetings JG, indeed I am and hope you are too.The document does seem to mention England in practically every para.;)
    Concessionary bus travel is a devolved policy area. The Concessionary Bus Travel Act contains powers to allow for mutual recognition of concessionary bus passes across the UK in the future. The Government has had initial discussions with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland about this issue.Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already operate their own schemes for their residents. These schemes are not affected by the changes in England.

I guess it might answer some of those critics who complain about special deals for the Scots.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    All a prelude to cut down on older people using their own cars...save the planet, save a few accidents, save some money.

Having just updated our car to a 4-year old Peugeot automatic, it ain't going to affect us until/unless we are physically forced to stop driving. Although the new car had to go back for a couple of minor adjustments and DH used his free bus pass for the first time ever. He used to use his half-fare pass when he was still working, especially on late shifts, but he hasn't done that for 6 years now.

And what accidents is it going to save? Most of the accidents around here, as reported in the local paper, are caused by drivers half our age or less.

Me, I haven't got a pass at all, so I won't be getting a free national one.

Re the 'whole country'. Scotland and Wales are devolved and so they make their own decisions about such matters.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Point taken, Margaret, and so much depends on how near you are to a bus stop. Just taken the plunge myself, odd feeling after years of independent travelling, but it is one less car on the roads.
  • When we are of pensionable age and back in the UK, I will use my buspass a lot. My house in the UK is in a large city and it is much easier to get about on the bus. I will also use it for visiting my sister at the other end of the West Midlands conurbation. I personally would always chose public transport for travelling in urban areas.

I take Margaret's point though - if you live miles away from a bus stop or can't get to it, the bus pass is not of much use.

And some people (my husband for one) will porobably never use it voluntarily! And that is peoples' choice, to chose to drive if they wish.

But I still think it is an excellent idea for those, like me, who will chose to use it (although I can and will drive too), or for those who don't/can't drive.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • this is a ripe scenario for someone to build a web site ie put in start point and destination and get the route. It would be a challenge to get about I think because of the hundreds of different bus companies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure