PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    **snort** into the naughty corner pineapple and wash your mind out with soap :rotfl:
  • katieclampet
    katieclampet Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Well I have been restocking my cupboards, used up lots of stuff over winter, well I suppose it is still winter, so I should say over the last few months. It has worked out well, and kept my bills down last month and made sure that I used up some of my supplies, BUT, I can really see the price increases. Everything seems to have gone up, and not just by a penny or two.

I have stocked up mostly on tins. I only have a small freezer and have decided to keep that for mostly ys cheopo stuff, and some frozen meat and veg. I hate tinned veg, although have a couple of tins and a few tins of potatos for emegencies.

The price of potatos is shocking, and unless its reduced, its hard to get a large loaf under a £1 in most supermarkets. It is worrying that the price of basic stuff has gone up so much.

I think we will see further rises, since last year was bad weather crop wise, and also the horse meat scandal will put prices up. America has also had poor harvests last year.

I have been reading up and am going to have a go at growing some veg in my little front yard. Have got the pots and soil, just need to get seeds organised. Kind neighbour has offered me a few gardening bits and pieces, so that will save me a bit.

My windup/solar radio is great! I have been reading a lot about living "off the grid". It is not practical for me to do that, but I am looking at how I can cut back my reliance on electrical equipment and use alternatives.

Some interesting information out there. For anyone who wants to be really scared, I can recommend "Lastlight " and "Afterlight" by Alex Scarrow, which is a novel about the effects of oil transportation being disrupted, and the breakdown of society (which happens pretty quickly).

On that happy note, off to poke about with my pots:)

katie
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Sometimes I can go right off my postie, today being one of 'em, he's bought me car insurence renewel[ yes I'v checked on line at the comparison site's] and my old insurer still work's out cheaper:eek:..........and the letter telling us the rent increase...... by 5.95%:eek::eek::eek:

Still the good news is my seeds have started to come up:D parsley, leek, sprouts and purple sprouting broccoli all made an apperence this morning............:jyhey! spring is coming...................
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 2 March 2013 at 4:01PM
    pineapple and wcs
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:naughty animated-smileys-halloween-073.gifbatties :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Reminds me of a joke about nuns, lights out by eleven, candles out by midnight chortle
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    This is well worth a watch from Piers Corbyn
    http://climaterealists.com/index.php?id=11231&linkbox=true&position=7
    Definitley time to source alternative sources of heating and energy, not to mention growing things.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • westcoastscot
    pineapple and wcs
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:naughty animated-smileys-halloween-073.gifbatties :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Reminds me of a joke about nuns, lights out by eleven, candles out by midnight chortle

**snorts tea** Mouth firmly zipped here :silenced:
  • westcoastscot
    Spring's a long way off in Scotland planting-wise, although it has felt springlike this past wee while. We do get overnight frosts right up to June though. I was thinking today about what Pennib was saying about her theory that our short season is offset by the longer daylight hours being further north - I think she makes a good point. I'm going to try and get stuff in seed trays in late March/Early April so that they are a good size for going straight into the group when the weather is right.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    And I'm having a paddy of my own pouty-smiley-emoticon.gif

I WANT a proper butcher.
    I WANT a proper greengrocer.
    I WANT a proper fishmonger, but mainly
    I WANT an Asian market close by, like the ones others talk about!

So many good opinions being expressed, I cannot add anything extra of any worth but I agree with the above. We don't have any of this on town but...if I am successful in obtaining a bus pass I may be able to travel and save bus fares so I can go where there is access to some of the above. Its adding bus/taxi fares into the equation that makes going to such places uneconomical. It also may mean I can cover a larger area.
    But it is likely as we know bus passes will be removed as soon as possible such as when the next party is voted into office after the general election.

OK if I get one it is because of mobility problems but...looking at the older people of our communiity. More than ever many do not own/can maintain a car and it can be their way of getting a little bit of variety in their lives and though for some it is used recreationally...for many I bet it is used mainly for...

Getting to hospital appointments, so they can volunteer or get to some little social gathering(like tea morning etc...)or for the reasons I suggested to get to an area where there is a better choice of shops(though the income they have to spend will still be limited)so such trips could be once a month when they have
    one big shop.

And the older people get if their health suffers many will stop using their passes and if given at an older age that is more likely.

On the radio when they discussed how wrong it is that females over 70 have not been getting the treatment that they deserve for Breast Cancer...they'll not bother as they should but in the new economy these same people may have to/be expected to still be working at that age. So in one way they say you are worthless, in other ways you are...

Of course what jobs you can do/are expected to at such an age is debateable. Also if jobs are scarse for those who are younger/have families etc...you do wondor just how many jobs they believe are out there(and what they pay)

They forget how many who are said to be retired are doing work in the community for no renumeration and sometimes are out of pocket. And many of these skills and unpaid jobs may be lost with the way things are changing.

I see older people in assistant roles in charity shops, serving teas and meals(even cooking them)for people in need, running food banks, teaching skills they have learnt from their working lives, supervising others and so on.

But lets not forget many younger people depend on their parents to keep things ticking over whilst they work(picking up grandchildren from school)possibly doing meals for said GC, doing tasks that cannot be done by the younger people because they are at work etc...much cheaper than what you pay for child care.

I'll stop, I'm sure you can all think of other examples and many know this already.

But even a humble bus pass may stop someone from becoming depressed, suffering dementia and mean they are part of the community rather than perhaps sitting alone in a home looking at four walls so it offers much more than its face value.

I mean if the older person is working and the job is not well paid(part time)that bus pass may make the difference as to whether the job is worth taking.

Many of these volunteer unpaid jobs would just disappear, it is unlikely that private companies would take them on so the community loses out and if they did take them on expenses would increase.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Mumma, google Rose Elliot recipes, I have a couple of her books that are still in regular use, I've had the books about 20 odd years.

Hubby received THE LETTER yesterday, he's undecided as yet, does he stop claiming or does he wait for someone to tell him that his retinal scarring has suddenly disappeared? That if he tries really hard he'll be able to see again, the jury is still out.
    Hester
    Did you happen to see the documentary on ch4 last Monday, about the UK being on Benefits? Good ole @T0$$ers have won the contract to "assess" DLA claimants, because they've done such a good job up to now :mad: with sickness benefits.

Back to the programme...people who had been assessed as 'for life' claimants will be reassessed every couple of years (an EXCELLENT use of stretched budgets cuz we all know cerebral palsy, amputation, damaged eyes et al will all get better when you take 2 asprin & call the doc in the morning swearing-rage-smiley-emoticon.gif ); a young lady who depends on her DLA to pay for taxis to get her about & little gadgets to help keep her as independent as possible has been told her payments will likely be reduced even though see is completely blind, & so it went on. I did laugh tho, at a squaddie who obviously has the same mentality as many of us here ;)

He goes into the interview; nurse reads out the entire list of injuries sustained while he was on operations in a war zone; "doctor" begins exam...
    • Quack: "Can you wiggle the toes on your left foot?
    • Squaddie wiggles his toes.
    • Quack: "Can you wiggle the toes on your right foot?"
    • Squaddie: "Ahm..no?"
    • Qk: "Why!"
    • Sq: "I don't have a foot!"
    • Qk: "Can you rotate your left ankle?"
    • Sq rotates left ankle.
    • Qk: "Can you rotate your right ankle?"
    • Sq: "No."
    • Qk: "Why?"
    • Sq: "I. Don't. HAVE. a. Foot!"
    • Qk: "Could I have a look at your right leg?"
    • Squaddie said the quack was :eek: as Squaddie handed over his false limb :rotfl: I sooooo wish I had been there msn-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Just makes you wonder what sort of 'medical professional' they are employing :wall:

Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Priceless MUMMA just priceless, Lyn xxx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure