Glucosamine

Comments

• ab.da54
    ab.da54 Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »
    I completely disagree.

If a drug is available and it improves the conditions an individual is sufferring from, then it should be made available via the NHS.

Unfortunately, it does come down to costs.

If the NHS funds a drug which only helps a minority, there is a risk they cannot afford a drug which helps the majority.

In an ideal world, the NHS would provide all drugs which improve one's life, but we don't live in an ideal world and the money has to be channeled into helping the majority.
    Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ab.da54 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it does come down to costs.

If the NHS funds a drug which only helps a minority, there is a risk they cannot afford a drug which helps the majority.

In an ideal world, the NHS would provide all drugs which improve one's life, but we don't live in an ideal world and the money has to be channeled into helping the majority.

In an ideal world the previous Tory government wouldn't have sold off the NHS's ability to research and develop drugs and therefore wouldn't now be at the mercy of unscrupulous private companies looking to make maximum profit on any new breakthrough drug.

It's a shame the oath that Dr's take isn't forced upon those scientists who research and develeop new drugs. Maybe then these people would have more thought for the people who's lives could be inproved by these drugs rather than the £££££££ they can get by producing it.

The NHS should be at the forefront of research and development, it could then make more money for itself by producing and selling their drugs to the rest of the world.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • ab.da54
    ab.da54 Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »
    In an ideal world the previous Tory government wouldn't have sold off the NHS's ability to research and develop drugs and therefore wouldn't now be at the mercy of unscrupulous private companies looking to make maximum profit on any new breakthrough drug.

It's a shame the oath that Dr's take isn't forced upon those scientists who research and develeop new drugs. Maybe then these people would have more thought for the people who's lives could be inproved by these drugs rather than the £££££££ they can get by producing it.

The NHS should be at the forefront of research and development, it could then make more money for itself by producing and selling their drugs to the rest of the world.

Perhaps, if prescriptions were not free in some areas of the UK, there would be more money to fund other things - who knows? Personally, I think it is time to move beyond laying blame on whose fault it was / is and look at what we have now, which is a limited pot of money. Added to that, the blame game doesn't help the OP.

We are not living in an ideal world and restrictions have to be put in place otherwise cuts will need to take place elsewhere. It's unfortunate that the OP can no longer get something on prescription that helps with their pain. Hopefully, they can source a cheap supplier [baring in mind the dangers of buying drugs online].
    Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.
  • absolutebounder
    absolutebounder Posts: 20,305 Forumite
    Some cases of arthritis are an allergic reaction to plants in the tomato family. try looking up all the plants in the family and completely avoiding for a few days.
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • Rose hip, and cherries can also help with arthritis. Holland and barret sell the glucosamine, as do boots. It is best with any of these medications to keep on buying them from the same place. Also omega 3 is a good supplement to take aswell.

My partner has osteoarthritis, and the above supplements do make a marked improvement in him, but saddly it is not always possible to get them due to money, but when we have the money we try and bulk buy.
  • You can get Glucosamine (1500mg) with MSM (1500mg) tablets in containers of 375 from Costco for about £15. That's about 40p per week. Works great for my stiff knees.
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it.
  • I was told about an anti imflammatory diet..you would need to google it..and it works for me, basically I cut out potatoes, tomatoes and aubergines and some other stuff..you would be amazed at the difference x
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d13yf/Inside_Health_13_03_2012/ - last quarter of the program deals with glucosamine and chondroitin.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,580
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2012 at 9:25PM
    Mum also takes Glucosamine and chondroitin for wear and tear (not arthritis) in her knee, it was the GP who put her on to it. After a few months the mobility was much better and the aches went away. If they come back at any time she just takes it for a week it or two and it's soon sorted.

Shop around with the reputable websites/shops, keep an eye out for deals and voucher codes and buy huge stocks when offers are on!
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    my son takes the vegetarian version - his master at the gym gets it for him as he buys in bulk (and does not contain fish (?).
    I know it sounds expensive but when you think about prescription charges there really isn't much in it.
    Just a thought but when I remember (naughty me) I sometimes have a little cider vineger in water and it makes my hand joints feel much better in no time at all , and also helps the IBS.
    whatever works for you and all that.
    Best wishes
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills