PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best

Comments

• *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So pleased there is a thread on this as I thought it was the best cookery show i've seen in ages...there were things I would actually make and its nice to be reminded of recipes I used to cook, but some how sort of forgot about :T I woke up this morning thinking of that cheese pie :D
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2010 at 12:02PM
    On the subject of Mum's cooking I am sad to say my Mum used to make some nice stuff, but has over the last few years become a "tesco tart" and doesn't seem to make much herself any more :(.

Spag bol is now ALWAYS from a jar, aunt b's puds and roasts, bought cooked meat and mash. Even bought mince pies, when she used to make lovely pastry.
    We went on boxing day for our tea and the kids hardly ate anything (and my lot eat for England). OH and I were trying to be polite, but DS said ooh gran you can't cook like Mum and you overcooked the beef oops :o. I put my foot in it by saying the kids are used to my steamed veg which is brighter coloured and "al dente" to which I was told, these veg were done in the steamer! She must had steamed them for hours, the brocolli was mush and a yucky colour.

She does still sometimes bake, but not very often. I remember her making fairy buns and maids of honour. My Dad must miss the baking cos he comes here and stuffs his face sometimes lol.

My baking comes from my Gran (my Mum's Mum). My earliest memories are of helping her bake in the kitchen. She had a larder and depending on what we were making she would say get the plain flour/get the self raising. The flour was in massive (or so it seemed to a small child lol) glass jars. Red lid for plain, Blue lid for self raising. She used to buy me little baking kits to use (plastic mini rolling pin, shape cutters and a little fluted roller thingy). We would bake like mad and then she would do a lovely afternoon tea-just like that lady of HB, lovely :j.

I suspect my Mum used to cook and bake because she felt she had to and my Gran did try to get her to love it, but she never did. I on the other have always loved it and thanks to this forum have expanded my baking and grown to love cooking as well.
    Thinking back I asked for one of those "Fred" flour men toys (remember them?) for Christmas one year. It was a plastic "fred" from the flour ads. Blakc suit and black bowler hat. His head was a mixing bowl, his hat had holes in for sifting, he had a spoon in one arm and a rolling pin in the other, a measuring jug/spoons in his body and shaped cutters on his feet. He came with a kids cook book which I whipped through in weeks lol. I remember Mum pulling her face everytime I wanted it out.

Bizzarrely he is still going, and I still use the measuiring jug and spoons all the time.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Alibobsy, I'm fairly sure salmon/tuna tins would work as rings. just grease the inside lightly.

you could also try using them for the perfect round fried egg :)
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    For those who liked the baking ladies recipes another link

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mumsknowbest/recipefairs/ep1_red_button_recipes.pdf

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• I also watched the programme and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Cornbeef and potato pie took me way back to my childhood during and after the war ! Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Would like to add that I inherited a Bero recipe book from my own Mother when I married, and sent for one for my daughter a few years ago. There are some lovely, old fashioned recipes still in that book
  • BLUis
    BLUis Posts: 773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I heard on the radio this morning that they were having problems with the website. they were on radio2
    Married the absolute love of my life on Sunday May 6th and I couldnt be happier!!!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I enjoy watching cookery programmes but am afraid I can't stand these two. The thought of all that greasy hair dropping into the food. Completely offputting. Yuk !
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Primrose wrote: »
    I enjoy watching cookery programmes but am afraid I can't stand these two. The thought of all that greasy hair dropping into the food. Completely offputting. Yuk !
    My Mum used to say:

"You gotta eat a peck of dirt before you die" ;)
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure