PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It is tough NOW. So how are we coping

Options
I started the `if things get tougher` thread in feb 2006. That thread has had over 235,000 views and it is now time to change emphasis. We are slap bang in the middle of the tough times and it is time to tread water and to look forward to a brighter future, probably in another 2 years

Personally, I am frugal but very comfortable and have built a huge stockcupboard which will see me through several months, provided I have fruit and veg. I have a savings safety net, which I draw from every month because the only income until 2012 is from my small pension. I cycle when I can and have given my car away but we still have one car, used frugally. Energy use is minimal to maintain a good level of comfort

All this and more, has been achieved since feb 2006 and I raise a glass to everybody in the `tougher` community and I wish you all well and good fortune as we get through this. Let us link arms and we will all survive together :grouphug:

Comments

• mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for starting the new thread Kittie.

The old thread made me think about a lot of things, not all of them necessarily old style, but interesting and challenging always!

Anyway, now I have a balanced store cupboard stockpile, my heating is still not on - though as anyone who has read my posts will say, that's because my boiler STILL needs relighting! The children have finally learnt that jumpers and socks will actually help their levels of warmth! And generally I think a lot more about things like using my car, and try to do round trips that include all sorts of things, rather than lots of little journeys.

Oh, and plans for a bigger and better raised veg garden are well underway for next year! Thanks to encouragement here and elsewhere we had a plethora of salad leaves for minimal effort this year, and bizarrely one of my tomato plants is still producing fruits!

For the future I just kind of hope to hold on tight and fingers crossed that luck smiles down and doesn't throw anything really unexpected at me!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi, kittie! I'm in a similar situaton to you - comfortably off, but living a frugal life. DH and I are saving to buy a smallholding in the next 5 or so years; additionally, I'm concerned about the effect over-consumption has on the planet ;) Things we've done:
    • put on extra layers before turning on the heating
    • burn scrap wood and tree prunings on our fires
    • we saved and paid off the mortgage - however bad it gets now, we'll always have our home :D
    • eat veggie several times a week
    • meal plan, and use leftovers
    • I hardly buy any clothes, and what I do (apart from underwear) is from charity shops
    • I cycle to work; encourage the rest of the family to cycle and walk rather than use the car fior short journeys
    • online food shopping - it saves petrol, time, and I don't fill my trolley with things not on my list :o
    • eat locally from the butcher, farm shop and farmers' market
    • growing fruit, veg and hens for eggs :D
    • newspapers only at weekends; read news online in the week
    I'm not compromising on wine yet :beer:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Please come and find me if I lose my way back in here. I am famous for wandering off in forums !!
    I need to grow veg next year, need help to clear a plot for it, need to grow a lot more tomatoes because they were fantastic. I am slowly realizing how hard up we are, now that we have no income apart from benefits. The first enthusiasm for cutting back came & then went, and now I have started to slip back...so a nice new page is just what I need !
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In short, far better than we were back in the pre-mse days, despite the financial chaos!

Before MSE we were struggling on two salaries :o .

Now we are far more in control of our lives, as well as our money, and are able to deal with the effects of my enforced 40% pay 'cut'(due to ill health), the non-appearance of DH's pay increase (missing since June:rolleyes: ) and having 2 kids in Uni.

I am fascinated by the far-reaching effects of Living Below Your Means, now we are living not racing rats.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Ohhhh a nice new thread :T

Well I have been "battening down the hatches" for the last year or so -just in case... Luckily my hubbies job is safe for the next 3 1/2 years (in the army ;) ).... but I got fed up with spending more than needed... so I decided that we should start cutting back where possible -ready for life in Civvi street :eek:

When we will lose -
    • not paying car tax
    • not paying TV liecence
    • tax free petrol -at the moment we pay about 40p instead of over £1 :T
    So amongst other things I have :-
    1. reduced my grocery spends right down
    2. started stashing a chunk of my housekeeping every month
    3. got a decent food store running in the basement
    4. grew loads of veggies in tub this year -and have next years seeds sorted and planned -
    5. Got a remoska (b'day pressy) to save on cooking costs -not had the oven on since I got it nearly 3 months ago :j
    Job losses are creeping ever closer -my brother has just been told his branch of a company will be closed from the middle of December .... luckily he lives at home and has no children etc... the workmates who thought it was odd he didn't have a car etc -now wish they were in the same boat ..

My BIL + SIL both finish from their company in dec too -they both work for the same company and have 2 little ones :eek:

anyway enough waffle ..I look forward to seeing how we are all coping..
    threads like this make it seem a little less daunting :D

Mardatha... I will keep an eye on you..if you go missing I will track you down lol
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Kittie for the new thread!

I am also, thanks God, fairly comfortably off after a lifetime of work by me and DH. Could have paid the mortgage but as it is fixed at a rate lower than my (also fixed) savings rate, I am waiting to hit the change point (5 years) when I can pay it off without incurring any penalty. Meanwhile I am a few points of a percent better off in interest received.

How we beat the tough times: really, we do it the way that we have done in the last few years, but a bit more carefully now that situations are getting more difficult and prices are rising fast.

1 - Transport: we do not have a car. We gave it away when we got fed up of having it repaired for the umpteenth time and the kids were 12 so well able to travel by bus without inconvenience (although they were not amused ;) ). This was 7 years ago and we have been offered a few free cars since - by friends changing model - but so far turned them down as we are ok car-free. It is possible in London. DH has an interest free loan on season ticket, I have a zone 2 and 3 season ticket, DD has a student discount season ticket and DS who does not need to travel too much uses an oyster card and cycles a lot. DH and I do not fly - this makes my trips to Italy more expensive but instead of going every few weeks I only go once or twice per year (enough!!!:eek: ). We take holidays in the UK and if we go abroad it is on the train. The kids fly occasionally for holidays but that's their choice and with their saved money.

2 - Food: We are almost 100% vegetarian, this saves an absolute fortune in shopping. We spend a fair amount of our money on food as we try to buy organic as far as possible, given that we can afford it and by so doing we feel that we encourage the growth of the organic movement. We use veg boxes and in the past have been growing our veg too - been slack lately but plan a big veg growing season coming on in the next year, hopefully. We buy in bulk and from farmers markets. We use the supermarket moderately and tend to buy special offers only if possible. We reuse almost all leftovers and what's too insanitary to eat gets composted.

3 - Entertainment: I forget when I last paid full price for entertainment! I use this forum and other websites extensively for bargains, competitions, free cinema tickets etc. I am a mystery shopper and occasionally get beautiful events to evaluate as part of this, and take DH with me. I use the library and also buy books for pennies at charity shops and sales. DH goes to his martial arts class which he pays on direct debit so it is a lot cheaper than paying per session. I have a student membership to the local gym which I took up last year when I was officially a student. Paid it all at once as my student status was about to expire so I am reaping the benefits this year too. I am enrolled in a few craft classes, a bit expensive but they amply pay for themselves as I have made clothes and other things for the homes that I would have had to pay for otherwise.

4 - We have gone on a cash economy and only use credit cards for large purchases (and get 2% back) and pay every penny back at the end of the month. We save as much as we can to be able to meet any unexpected - and also expected - bills. This year Christmas presents are going to be of the value of £10 each for all of us and if we have spare cash I have promised the kids a mini-spree at the sales, if there is anything they need.

5 - Energy: we are religious about switching off at the mains, all lights off when nobody in the room, minimum heating and lots of layers, use scraps of wood for woodstove, use pressure cooker and other energy saving techniques for cooking, never bake one item only but do a whole dinner in the oven, fill the washing machine and still use at 30 degrees (apart from towels at 40 and bedding at 60 to kill dustmites), only put dishwasher on if full and as rarely as we can, gave away tumbledrier years ago and dry as much as we can outside and what we cannot we hang on doors and banister. I am the worst energy consumer in the house as I am stuck in front of the computer most of the day but I get a small allowance from my employers to compensate the cost of working from home (I am sure it covers my computer usage).

In general we try to reuse, recycle and do without if we do not need something but aren't too spartan either. We feel we strike a happy balance, although we have some acquaintances who feel that we are overdoing the green thing, but also other acquaintances who are far greener and more frugal than we are, by choice.

Looking forward to reading other people's stories!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    During the last year because of the looming credit crunch/recession, I have been more financially astute (mainly thanks to this site) so my families lifestyle hasn't really suffered and we are comfortably off.

The things I have done & continued to do are:

*Menu planned
    *Cooking a lot more from scratch (ye-ha for rubber chicken).
    *Repaired and renovated things rather than instantly purchasing new things
    *Making do, rather than nipping out to the shops for a tub of marg or a bread loaf, so I can have more NSDs.
    *Washing clothes on 30 degrees or a cold wash, drying on the line in good weather and on airers or over the bannister when its wet.
    *Cleaning with vinegar, Stardrops, vinegar etc and doing a little bit each day so I have plenty of time to spend doing other things rather than letting housework build up.
    *Using 0% balance transfers to pay remaining credit card balances off.
    *Checking MSE daily for tips, deals and bargains.
    *Cutting takeaways down to a bare minimum.
    *Cycle & walk more than use the car.
    *Checking online banking every day.
    *Doing online surveys & clicks for pin money.
    *Selling unwanted stuff on Ebay & Amazon.
    *Working extra shifts and putting that overtime money into an emergency savings account. (I don't miss the money as it's extra and it is accumulating nicely).
    *Preplanning and saving for big events in advance (Christmas, holidays, wedding etc).
    *Recycling, giving to and using Freecycle.
    *Cutting our Sky package down to a minimum and enjoying watching the free films & sport on normal TV and Film4.
    *Keeping a spending diary.
    *Using comparison sites and Quidco to get best dealings on insurances and other purchases.
    *Using up 'past its best' foods rather than binning as I would in the past.
    *Refusing full stop to buy Mcdonalds ever again, it's expensive and too damaging to the body.
    *Walking the paws off the dogs, free exercise and enjoy the walk and chat with my O/H. It's some of our nicest quality time.
    *Wrapping up rather than putting the heating on.
    *Turning off the radiators in the rooms which are not 'lived' in.
    *Using less product and finding it still as effective. E.G. shampoo, conditioner, bleach, washing up liquid etc

And too much more to mention...so thank you all who have given advice and inspiration.
    You're all stars. X x X
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • Sunnygirl_2
    Options
    I am fortunate enough to have had my lightbulb moment in August 2005 and HAD to get our finances in order before we sunk. I now keep a very close eye on things and because things were sorted and we have been very tough on our spending over the last few years we are now reaping the benefits. This is not to say we have money to burn, far from it, but we can pay all the bills and make a dent in the debts without getting 3, 4, 5 or even more bank charges every month, have enough money to buy the food shopping and can keep the car full of enough petrol to get DH to and from work every day.

So I can say we are coping very well considering. It did make me mad when I read an article in Glamour magazine about bankers wives whose husbands were concerned for their jobs so the wives had to give up their weekly blow dry at the hair salon and give up their personal trainer. Well boo hoo for them. I know I am lucky that myself, my husband and children have a nice warm house and 3 meals a day and we can afford the odd treat. Its a hard life when you're worrying about how you'll pay for your next manicure!!! Think they need to meet some people from the 'real' world.

Anyway, I'll get down from my soap box now and tell you that what is helping us get through is:
    • I have discovered ebay. (Made £35 so far this month)
    • I am using quidco for anything I can that I would have bought anyway (£25 cashback this month, another £75 still due)
    • Shopping online...saves on impulse buying and always use the codes the nice people post on discount codes & vouchers forum
    • Accepting offers of all hand me downs for kids clothes.
    • Have rejoined flylady thread...don't need to put heating on in the day as I am busy cleaning!!!!!
    Can honestly say that the biggest help is reading theads like this. It helps keep people like me motivated and makes not feel so bad when other children at DD's school seem to get what they want, when they want but we can't afford to do that, (and reminds me that I wouldn't want to raise my children that way anyway)!!!
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Have to agree with Luxor. I think I'm more positive now about coming out the other end, and I've learnt that mindset is everything! Our income has halved but our quality of life is now far better. Times are getting tougher but I'm more savvy now so I'm actually not that worried. I'm also reassured that I've been at rock bottom before and found my way out, so if the worst did come to the worst, I could again. I've found it's helped to set myself personal challenges. I suffer from depression and I've actually found that focussing on 'managing' my house as opposed to just 'running' it has helped a lot. Plus, OS has helped us to realise that we don't have to be dual-income, so now I can stay home and look after my health instead of battling against it.

I still haven't put the heating on either, mine leaks rusty water but the landlord seems to think I'm imagining it. Having a broken boiler is a great way to save on your gas bill! We layer up and have 'cuddle blankets' on all the sofas, and so far it's not been too bad. I think that the longer you do without it, the hardier you get!

I've been trying to boost what we produce ourselves, even the feeling that we're not totally reliant helps. We grow our own and I've been preserving what I can. I've also been making HM booze with foraged food and apples from our tree, so the only cost is sugar and yeast, I scrounged all of the equipment on freecycle! being able to have a guilt-free tipple helps ;) OH won't let me keep chickens though. Boo!

I have cut back where I can regarding food. I use leftovers and have now managed to stretch a 1.5kg chicken to do do an entire weeks worth of hot dinners for the pair of us :T My OH has finally stopped moaning at the reduced amount of meat we eat. One thing that really helped was getting my other half to do the shop one week, gave him £20 and told him to get a week's food in. Well, he came back with a load of crap from iceland and after spending a week eating it he agreed that I was doing a good job after all ;)

I can't really list all the little changes we've made because they're a way of life for us now. I look back and wonder how we could ever have struggled on the money we had. I think we're much happier now. Sorry, I went a bit off-topic there didn't I?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have been stocking up the cupboards like mad and also making sure DDs have a warm winter coat and boots, shoes etc. Also got new glasses for me and for two of my DDs recently.

Told DH yesterday that I had placed an order with appproved food as I was expecting it to be delivered on Wednesday.

Just as well I finally told him as it has just been delivered and he answered the door.:eek:

Really pleased with what has come especially Simple face wipes and face wash for £1 each!!!

We have about 30 cans of soup stowed away safely that cost about a fiver in total and some of them are brand name "big" soups.

The docking station for an ipod that is also an alarm clock should have been £25 but was £5 with a £25 order so that is a pressie for DD (14) sorted that she will not expect.

Tried to tell DH how good it was but he is unimpressed!!!!!

I mentioned the food site on an international forum I go on and a British member of a "survivalist" site (think peak oil etc) was very impressed at the low prices and has ordered stuff for people in Holland!!!! The delivery will be to the UK and then he or friends will take it abroad when they visit.

Just dashing off to the dentist ( another prep).
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills