Help! I lent some money to a friend who won't pay me back

18 months ago, I lent my friend £2,500 to help her out with some money issues at the time, and I've now been asking for the money back for a few months.

She now no longer speaks to me, ignores my calls and won't answer the door, despite the fact I've been completely reasonable with her. I only managed to just speak to her this morning and she basically just told me I won't be getting the money back!

I have e-mails and texts talking about the money which was borrowed, if this helps. I gave her the money in cash (not a bank transfer or cheque).

I'm really worried about what I should do next, if I have any legal options? If there's any way I can get the money back because I really need my money back.

If any body can offer me any advice at all, it will mean the world to me.

Many thanks.

Comments

• neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    not much you can do...

Only thing you can do is to shame her to pay it back.... distribute the proof/evidence to all her friends/workplace/family etc... to get her to agree a regular repayment.

if she doesn't at least everyone will know she stole 2.5k from you.
    in future dont involve frienship and money/
  • Thanks for your reply. The thing is I'm not that type of person to do things like that. Although I'm very angry about the situation, isn't there a chance of going through the small claims court or at least asking citizens advice do you think? Even if I have proof by way of e-mails/text messages that she borrowed the money, won't these stand up?
  • mrposhman
    mrposhman Posts: 749 Forumite
    If you've got no documentation to prove it was a loan and not a gift I'm afraid your not protected really.

Going through the small claims court will only cost you more money.

You could ask the CAB but they may come back saying its a lifes lesson you've learnt.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    andyshan wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. The thing is I'm not that type of person to do things like that. Although I'm very angry about the situation, isn't there a chance of going through the small claims court or at least asking citizens advice do you think? Even if I have proof by way of e-mails/text messages that she borrowed the money, won't these stand up?

It's certainly worth going to Citizen's Advice to clarify what, if any, legal options you have.

Personally, I doubt that your email / text message exchanges will be sufficient proof of debt for a court. You should have got her to sign an agreement which stated clearly when the money was due to be repaid. Without that, I think you're snookered I'm afraid.

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • You could take her to small claims and you could get a ccj against her BUT if she does not have any money to repay you then it is highly unlikely that you will ever see a penny.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you might have to write this off unless you know that she has goods of some value you could get confiscated and sold via a bailiff.
    To do this you need to have won in court and be prepared to pay out lots more for bailiff fees.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would have thought without a written signed document, the emails and texts are probably not enough. Even a signed I.O.U would have had more chance in court.

Perhaps if you wrote to your friend via recorded delivery (so you know they got it) and explained how upset you are and also offered to take a low weekly/monthly payment arrangement you may (eventually) be able to get your cash back.

Good luck

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• grade15
    grade15 Posts: 543 Forumite
    ask her payment of 500 first and then slowly get the rest of the money back bit by bit after time..and once you received all your money..learn your lesion !!!!
    smile everyday...cos its free :)
    Live everyday to the Full..cos there is no tomorrow:dance:
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You could take her to small claims and you could get a ccj against her BUT if she does not have any money to repay you then it is highly unlikely that you will ever see a penny.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you might have to write this off unless you know that she has goods of some value you could get confiscated and sold via a bailiff.
    To do this you need to have won in court and be prepared to pay out lots more for bailiff fees.

Very very annoying. If I was in your shoes, I would write to the friend pointing out that this money is owed and quote all of the emails and text messages from her in your letter. This then puts the information in a written form as copies of the letter could be given to the judge if it ever gets that far. She might just (we live in hope!) acknowledge the debt in writing to you. Personally I would go easy in such a letter, suggesting that you know her problems but to help her out you will accept payments of say £20 per week. If she does pay you anything at all, make sure you give a receipt stating £20 paid balance outstanding £2480 or whatever. This will help to prove the debt, if it ever ends up at court.

Think carefully about the court route. even if you obtain judgement, enforcing this is not easy, unless the debtor has assets, a job or owns property.

Best wishes anyway.

the poster formerly known as
    terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Thanks to everyone for your advice, I'll weigh up my options, but if there is anyone else too who thinks I have a good route to take, please do let me know.

Thanks once again
  • crazyfj
    crazyfj Posts: 297
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    you could get your local solicitor to write a letter warning her of further action.

it may help you (it would cost you though to do the letter) but might give her the kick she needs
    fj
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport